My Nexus 10 won't charge!

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I was charging my tablet and I accidently unplugged the ac adapter. The tablet was on that time. So I plugged my adapter again and my Nexus won't charge! I rebooted my tablet and still no luck. I turned off the tablet and charged but no luck. So I thought it might be a cable problem so I tried charge GS2 and worked. Please Help!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Additional info. I compared my nexus 10 cable with my GS2 cable and I think It's the cable problem. There are five gold pins at the end of GS2 micro usb but there are only 4 pins at the end of Nexus 10 micro USB. So one pin is missing. I never misused my cable.... I have no idea why one pin is gone. Is there any way to buy an official Nexus 10 cable?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361751218445.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361751218445.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
First determine if it is the wall adapter, the cable, or the connection on your tablet. By swapping parts from and to your S2, you should be able to figure out which part is bad.Try calling Google and tell them you have a bad cable or wall adapter or connection on the tablet, which ever you determine is bad, they might send you a new one for free. Also think about buying the Pogo Cable, the standard USB cables seem to be problematic.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Additional info. I compared my nexus 10 cable with my GS2 cable and I think It's the cable problem. There are five gold pins at the end of GS2 micro usb but there are only 4 pins at the end of Nexus 10 micro USB. So one pin is missing. I never misused my cable.... I have no idea why one pin is gone. Is there any way to buy an official Nexus 10 cable?

This looks like the official one that came w/ my N10: Amazon.com: Samsung OEM 1.0A Travel USB Wall Charger with Detachable Micro USB Data/Charge Cable - Bulk Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Since its just the USB cable portion of the charger+cable solution, pretty much any USB cable should work. This one does look like an official Samsung one! But its different than the one that comes w/ the N10. The one that comes w/ the N10 is shiny finish not matte and does not have stickers, only white usb logos. The one I linked to, on the first picture, has the cord I am talking about. (But note - on the other pictures of the one I linked to I'm unclear on what the Customer is showing - cant tell which is the cord they received from Amazon and which was the other.)

EDIT: I bet Samsung would send your a new USB cord or at least warranty exchange it, and now that you have a second cord on order you could feel good about being without the original as its sent to/from Samsung.

EDIT2: Here is an ebay link that shows a picture of the original N10 charger combo pretty close up: ETA0U80JBE Lot2 Original Samsung Galaxy Phone USB Cable Wall Home AC Charger | eBay

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Since I have the 1 year warranty on my nexus 10 should I contact Samsung or Google? And what should I say?

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Since I have the 1 year warranty on my nexus 10 should I contact Samsung or Google? And what should I say?

I think if you try to go via Google they would make you return the whole unit, and also they have a short return window. After the return window they will direct you to Samsung. I'd just start w/ Samsung since all you are after is the cord. I've dealt w/ Samsung on a camera warranty & they were very helpful. I'd bet you could just call their customer service / warranty dept, paperwork is in your N10 box or certainly online, and talk w/ one of the reps. Its always a small challenge convincing the rep that "yes, you are not crazy and there actually is a problem" but once that's done then you are all set. (In fairness, it is every customer support rep's job to make sure the obvious has been checked before any sort of return/service.)

So just tell them "I think it would be a waste of everyone's time/money to return the whole unit & I've noticed a problem that is specific to the USB cord. Can you please send a replacement?" When I had my camera serviced by them they paid all shipping & were quick. My ~guess~ is they will just send you a new cord and not ask you to return the old one (save them some shipping cost.) You will probably have to give them your N10's serial number so they can verify you are not just trying to get a free USB cord. (LOL @ the notion anyone would go to such work for a free cord!)

Good luck!

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think if you try to go via Google they would make you return the whole unit, and also they have a short return window. After the return window they will direct you to Samsung. I'd just start w/ Samsung since all you are after is the cord. I've dealt w/ Samsung on a camera warranty & they were very helpful. I'd bet you could just call their customer service / warranty dept, paperwork is in your N10 box or certainly online, and talk w/ one of the reps. Its always a small challenge convincing the rep that "yes, you are not crazy and there actually is a problem" but once that's done then you are all set. (In fairness, it is every customer support rep's job to make sure the obvious has been checked before any sort of return/service.)

So just tell them "I think it would be a waste of everyone's time/money to return the whole unit & I've noticed a problem that is specific to the USB cord. Can you please send a replacement?" When I had my camera serviced by them they paid all shipping & were quick. My ~guess~ is they will just send you a new cord and not ask you to return the old one (save them some shipping cost.) You will probably have to give them your N10's serial number so they can verify you are not just trying to get a free USB cord. (LOL @ the notion anyone would go to such work for a free cord!)

Good luck!

Thanks! I will try soon!

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I would just call google and say that I have a defective cable. I think they should replace it. I had a similar experience with a Nook and B&N sent me a new cable free.

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Good luck!

I just called Samsung and they suggested me to call Google play store. And I don't really want to return the whole device.
EDIT: Google told me I had to return the whole device. I don't want to return the device... All I need is a cable! Any help?

Last edited:

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just called Samsung and they suggested me to call Google play store. And I don't really want to return the whole device.

Man, shame on them! If you really felt like being an a-hole to them I bet if you just keep asking to 'talk to that persons supervisor' at some point they will tire and give in. But those calls arnt fun to make. I used to do them to reverse my annyual fee on my credit card, but somewhere along the way I lost my desire to do so. You could also go buy a new N10 w/ a credit card from WalMart then swap out the USB cord in the parking lot, then return it! But that too is a super big pain, and temporarily ties up $550 on your credit card!

You certainly dont have to have the exact cable that shipped with it. If you really want it and dont want to do either of the 'grey area' actions listed I'd say eBay or Amazon is easier. :)

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Man, shame on them! If you really felt like being an a-hole to them I bet if you just keep asking to 'talk to that persons supervisor' at some point they will tire and give in. But those calls arnt fun to make. I used to do them to reverse my annyual fee on my credit card, but somewhere along the way I lost my desire to do so. You could also go buy a new N10 w/ a credit card from WalMart then swap out the USB cord in the parking lot, then return it! But that too is a super big pain, and temporarily ties up $550 on your credit card!

You certainly dont have to have the exact cable that shipped with it. If you really want it and dont want to do either of the 'grey area' actions listed I'd say eBay or Amazon is easier. :)

Man... Really dissapointed but I can leave without a cable.... I will see if a cable i ordered from Amazon works... If it doesn't work, I guess I'm going to fight over it but I really don't like fighting at all. It makes the agent and me mad.

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Had a live chat with Samsung agent and made a phone call to Samsung again. The Samsung rep. said I need to send the cable and the ac adapter to exaim it for possible damage. Should I do it?

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Had a live chat with Samsung agent and made a phone call to Samsung again. The Samsung rep. said I need to send the cable and the ac adapter to exaim it for possible damage. Should I do it?

Yes, I would. Once they have agreed to take it then the ball is in their court. They will send you back a working one. While you wait for the return turn-around you can charge the device using that other setup you ordered, or also I have seen the little AC wall adaptors, in generic form, for sale at FredMeyer (without USB cable). (Or, sadly you would just be without the ability to charge for a little while, which sucks but then again you are having to return this becasue it already dosent work, so no biggie there.)

Samsung took about a week and a half to turn-around the camera I sent them.

Good luck man!!