Replace your Nexus 10 battery

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yay!!! Last night it finally ran completely out of power and shut down. I charged it overnight. Today I went to use it and when I took it off the charger and started playing with it, the battery meter FINALLY starting ticking down... 99%, 98%.... 89% after 45 minutes of gaming. (Although I had to reboot it when I first started using it because there was no sound for some reason).

The sound problem is something that popped up with lollipop.

rkand1101

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
What a disaster. I finally got the thing opened, replaced the battery with the used one from china, put it back together and let it charge for 2 hours. When I checked it, it was no longer charging and showing a full battery, so I tried to turn it on. It says "Google" then the animation starts. Then it flickers and turns off. Same thing with the power cord connected. So I opened it yet again and reseated all four cables. No change. So I put my old battery back in and it boots just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the "new" used battery is so crappy, it will not charge at all, and when booting it is somehow sucking down the system, causing it to crash. :(

I purchased from AliExpress (days before your report unfortunately) and had the same result. The battery manufacture date is 2011! Did you ever hear back from the seller on yours?

Also, did anyone else notice that newpower99 changed their stock status from "In stock" (when they were saying they can't get it anymore - it now says coming soon!?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pre order your battery

You can pre order your battery at newpower99, at this link. A little expensive. http://www.newpower99.com:80/Samsung_Google_Nexus10_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/samsunggoogle-nexus-10.htm=]Samsung Google Nexus 10 Battery Replacement Kit - Extended Life[/url]

Wow, they raised the price $30 (that is a 50% increase). And I don't know what is "Extended" about it, since that is the same size as the OEM. I do hope they get them in stock again, since a lot of people are going to need them.

rkand1101

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Wow, they raised the price $30 (that is a 50% increase). And I don't know what is "Extended" about it, since that is the same size as the OEM. I do hope they get them in stock again, since a lot of people are going to need them.

Well considering the alternatives, is still a good deal. They told me they are getting a limited supply in a couple of weeks. I'd have ordered mine already, except their site won't accept the order...

anon(16178)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I just purchased a NewPower99 Nexus 10 replacement battery via Amazon.com. I ordered on November 25th and received the battery November 29th. Very quick turnaround. My order was actually processed through Innovate88.com. The new battery is shaped identically to my existing Samsung battery but has different sticker labeling. I didn't have any issues installing the battery using the provided tools and after watching the installation video provided.

I never booted the tablet and just let it charge overnight (via the micro usb port) after installing the battery. In the morning the tablet indicated it was fully charged. I then proceeded to boot the tablet. It booted fine while connected to the power outlet (via the micro usb port). Checking the battery usage now revealed 100% charge. However, as soon as I unplugged the power cable, the tablet powered down within 30 seconds.

Plugging the power cord back in (via the micro usb port) and rebooting revealed a 0% charge on the battery. WIthin one minute, the battery showed 100% charge (again). However, as soon as I unplugged the power cable, the tablet powered down within 30 seconds (again).

I thought something was wrong with my installation. I opened my tablet back up, checked all the cabling and plugs and everything looked as expected. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the battery as assurance I had done it correctly. I let it charge again overnight. The next morning was a repeat of the day before with the tablet powering down as soon as the power cable was removed.

Next, to rule out lingering data issues with system software, I wiped the tablet data. After rebooting (keeping the tablet plugged into power) I then unplugged from power and the tablet powered down within 30 seconds.

I'm not sure but at this point it appears to be either a defective battery or a defective charging port. I am going to reinstall the original battery tonight. This will help rule out a defective charging port.

echz

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I too think I am in the same boat as you guys, but I'm not entirely sure. My N10 has decided to stop turning on altogether! :(

I have it plugged in via the POGO cable, and I get the "Fully Charged" looking battery with a lightning bolt. After a little bit, that screen disappears and if I tap the power button, I get the animation as if it's charging. I've left it in this state for several hours, as well as overnight and when I go to turn it on by holding the power button for a few seconds, I get a flash of the Google logo, and it immediately turns off again.

I've also tried charging via a standard USB cable hooked up to the computer, and a USB cable hooked up to a 5v/2.1a charger but get nowhere. When hooked up via the USB cable, I don't even get the battery icon or the animation as if it's charging.

The one thing I haven't tried (because I don't have it lol) is using the original charger that came with it. I am going to ask around and see if anyone I know has one, but I don't see why that would make much of a difference if it was the OEM charger or not, so long as the charging specs were the same as what the OEM charger provided.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before, or does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to bring my beloved N10 back to life? I'm open to any and all suggestions, and am considering getting in line for the NewPower99 replacement battery when it becomes available... Thanks for any and all help!!

anon(16178)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Just to give a quick update.... I reinstalled the original battery and things are back to normal. Battery life is about 3 hours total but that's better than 30 seconds. I'll be returning the replacement battery (if I can get a refund) and just live with the original battery for now.

Not sure if this really matters so much but the replacement battery had a very slight difference in voltage rating from the original... Something like .05 volt difference.

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

I'm thinking about just going for a new tablet. Maybe the Galaxy S 10.5, altho I didn't really think it was exceptionally smooth or snappy when I tried it out at BB. The Note 4 phone was so much faster! I don't want the N9 because of the ratio, and nothing else is really worth considering. I did find another battery on Amazon, but it's from China and there are no reviews. My N10 isn't even working when plugged in. I won't power up at all, and I'm getting tired of being without a tablet.

I might just have to do without a tablet for now.

Last edited:

anon(16178)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I too think I am in the same boat as you guys, but I'm not entirely sure. My N10 has decided to stop turning on altogether! :(
...snip...
I've also tried charging via a standard USB cable hooked up to the computer, and a USB cable hooked up to a 5v/2.1a charger but get nowhere. When hooked up via the USB cable, I don't even get the battery icon or the animation as if it's charging.
....snip...
Has anyone else experienced anything like this before, or does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to bring my beloved N10 back to life? I'm open to any and all suggestions, and am considering getting in line for the NewPower99 replacement battery when it becomes available... Thanks for any and all help!!

I can't imagine that using a different charging cable would help unless the connection is bad. Also, I have been charging mine via the wall outlet. Charging through another device like a laptop seems to take much longer... maybe it draws less power.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm just going to play it out and see how long my battery will last... maybe get a new tablet next year.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine that using a different charging cable would help unless the connection is bad. Also, I have been charging mine via the wall outlet. Charging through another device like a laptop seems to take much longer... maybe it draws less power.

Computer USB ports supply only a fraction of the power the stock wall charger supplies. The tablet can sense this, with the right cable, and will charge accordingly. Were the wall charger can take 4-6 hours to charge a N10's huge battery, a USB port or non-OEM charger can take 16-18 hours.

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Computer USB ports supply only a fraction of the power the stock wall charger supplies. The tablet can sense this, with the right cable, and will charge accordingly. Were the wall charger can take 4-6 hours to charge a N10's huge battery, a USB port or non-OEM charger can take 16-18 hours.

My wall charger used to do 10% per hour. Meaning, it took 10 hours to charge the tablet from zero. SLOOOOOOWWW!!! It would be seemingly impossible to charge it from a USB connected to a computer, tho admittedly, I never tried.

Why does my tablet not power on when plugged in, even if the battery is dead? If I have it plugged in and press the power button, it shows a battery with the lightning bolt thru it, then it disappears, then nothing.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My wall charger used to do 10% per hour. Meaning, it took 10 hours to charge the tablet from zero. SLOOOOOOWWW!!! It would be seemingly impossible to charge it from a USB connected to a computer, tho admittedly, I never tried.

Using the stock charger AND stock cable? It shouldn't take more than 6 hours from completely dead.

Why does my tablet not power on when plugged in, even if the battery is dead? If I have it plugged in and press the power button, it shows a battery with the lightning bolt thru it, then it disappears, then nothing.

Because you are probably not using the stock wall charger AND cable... or one or the other is damaged. Even the stock stuff can BARELY supply enough power to run the tablet. Under any load, it goes negative and needs the battery AND the charger to keep running (so it will deplete the battery while gaming, even on wall power, for example). If you are having issues with not enough power, it can't even turn on until there is enough reserve in the battery...

Case in point- I used a powerful third-party adapter and cable tonight to play plants vs. zombies and started with a 100% charge. 45 minutes later I was down to 90% battery.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The stock charger is a 5V 2amp charger so 10 watts if output. That is pretty much top end for most wall chargers. Some claim to go above that but then you are starting to approach issues with wire thickness and electrical design and danger can become a issue. Also just because the charger can do it doesn't mean that the device will take that much power from wall wart. As long as the charger is putting out more then the device will take in the device will limit it to what is safe in most cases. This is why using a POGO cable charges somewhat faster then a regular usb cable. The way everything connects allows more power to actually be drawn.

If you are seeing speeds as low as you are saying then there is a good chance that your wall wart isn't a 5v2amp adapter, isn't putting out what it says, or there is something going on with cabling preventing it from reaching it's max output.

Just to clarify about the power sources when talking about USB on computers. In most cases a USB1 or USB2 port will be limited to 5v at 500mamps. or 2.5 watts. Some MB manufactures claim their USB ports have been optimized to put out as much as 1.5 amps. USB3 increased the power output from the USB ports, they also have 2 modes. If the port is in regular mode for communication and such it is limited to 900 mamps. If it is in Battery Charing mode it can output up to 1.5 amps and then is almost as good as a wall charger.

I have charged my N10 off my USB Charing part several times on my laptop docking station. It works fine and generally within a few hours I have a good amount of charge. So given the right USB port from a laptop or computer with USB3.0 it is very doable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I have so many Android and other devices that use a micro-USB, I don't even know which one is the stock charger anymore. I'll have to look up an unboxing video and see if I can tell.

I called Samsung tonight to see if they could replace the battery. They said it would be $107.17 and directed me to their repair dept. Called them, and after a big runaround (they had me read those microscopic S/N numbers just to tell me that it was out of warranty...DUH!!), the THIRD person I talked to told me to take it to Best Buy's Samsung dept. Seriously. Why didn't they just say that in the first place? We wasted all that time switching people around and trying to troubleshoot. I'm pretty sure when I go, that pretty little Best Buy Samsung girl who didn't know anything about processors the other day isn't going to know what to do about this.

I'm a little nervous, based on Gaire13's experience, to try the Newpower99 battery.

jpits45

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got the NewPower99 battery through Rakuten and installed it. It's not the same one they show on the website. It seems to be working fine except for the battery meter. It's stuck at 100% and has an Error message "Battery usage data is unavailable."

Update ---I powered it off and back on with the power cord attached. The power meter started working ...

ezcry4t3d

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2yr old Nexus 10 that is having battery failures (80% to 0% clicks off) . I just ordered
amazon.com/gp/product/B00PANRXFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(I can't post the link due to post count, so you'll have to cut/paste)
I went to the "these sellers" link and selected the ZTHY listing marked as "New - Brand New" condition with 2 day shipping by Amazon.
I have a Guaranteed delivery by: Saturday, December 20, 2014 by 8pm
I have every confidence that Amazon will refund me if the battery is not "NEW".
I will report back after I receive the item.

Some other comments after reading this thread:

I HIGHLY recomend spending $10 on this: amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1V82I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will let you know exactly how fast your devices are charging. I have tested a large number of chargers and USB cables and there's a HUGE difference in them. They range from 0.3 amps to 2 amps depending on which charger/cable/devices you have plugged in. My Nexus 10 will NOT charge faster than 1.5 amps even on a charger/cable that can actually provide 2 amps. Sometimes, pluging the device in results in a 0.4 amp charge, and I have to unplug and replug the device to get the 1.5 amps. Even plugged in to a charger that is actually providing 1.5 amps, the Nexus 10 will still run the battery down during gaming (which as an electrical engineer, is completely unacceptable to me and I will never buy another Samsung device because of this and the lack of an official POGO cable). As far as USB cable quality, shorter cables seem to do much better. Low voltages have a lot of trouble traveling long distances in thin wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty