1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Poor camera quality...help.

Greetings,

The N4 is my first Android phone. I previously had thee iPhones, the latest being an iPhone 4. I like the N4 but the camera seems to be having issues. I don't know if is some type of setting or maybe just a bad camera. These pics are from a trip I took this weekend. I didn't really adjust any settings. HDR was off. I only adjusted down to 5MP instead of 8MP. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Is it the camera? The settings? Me? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

Notice gray shadows around signs and poles.

Closeup of sign. Notice gray shadow around writing. See the legs of sign?

Burry image, but the spot on the floor. There was nothing on the floor.

Again, a gray shadow offset on the pole, sign, and writing.

This one is all wrong. The yellow on the roof siding is offset. Another gray shadow issue.

Here is a link to the dropbox album:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poor camera quality...help.-img_20121208_095446.jpg   Poor camera quality...help.-img_20121209_095222.jpg   Poor camera quality...help.-img_20121208_101142.jpg   Poor camera quality...help.-img_20121208_113852.jpg   Poor camera quality...help.-img_20121208_124849.jpg  

Default Re: Poor camera quality...help.

Just taking a guess but your package may have recieved water damage arriving because that's what a screen looks like when you get water in the system. Probably got water in the camera or something, you can send it back for a replacement.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Water on the screen wouldn't affect the camera and the camera wouldn't produce these results due to water. Also, with all the layers of boxes and plastic, the thing would've had to arrive in a full bucket to get that wet.

Looking at the pictures, there is a consistent offset in out the colors are registering. If this was a printed piece, it would be because the plates weren't aligned. I've never seen something like this before on a single-chip sensor. (My old HDTV, a rear-projection three-CRT model blew its convergence circuits and it looked like this.)

It's clearly a defective camera. Get it replaced. You have plenty of evidence if they question you.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Something is definitely wrong, but before you call to have it replaced, you might as well try a factory reset. Their going to make you do it before you send it back anyway, and if the problem is a software glitch, that could correct it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If it was water damage, wouldn't it be on every picture? Why certain ones?

Was the camera in HDR mode?

I only just read that in HDR mode the camera actually takes three pics - 1 stop under-exposed, 1 stop over-exposed, and one in between, then merges the three images. Something like that.

So, I am wondering if you had too much camera shake and the merged images didn't quite line up?

Here is some info on the HDR process:

Kinda looks cool actually, only if it were a filter option heh. Id say that you have a defective camera on your unit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

OP says HDR was off.

Looks like RMA time to me.

Either that or, according the the floor picture, you have poltergeists in your home.

Be that as it may, get that phone to hell our of your house!