My S4 and HTC One Comparison (Ongoing)

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Updated:

Well, I currently have a Google Edition of the HTC One and I was a little disappointed to find out that you couldn't pull down the notification shade from the lock screen if you have security enabled. I think I might have just misunderstood something on that I read a while back.

It turns out, though, that you can access the lock screen widgets though when locked. As such, I think I just found my new favorite app for stock android (since the S4 with Touchwiz blocks the ability to use lockscreen widgets at all if you have security enabled): NiLS Notification Lock Screen. I was previously using Dashclock and while I liked the extentions and look, it just doesn't show notifications for everything I use. You need to find extentions and there are still plenty missing for many apps. NiLS on the other hand pretty much shows everything and supports notification shade syncing in 4.3. Even look good too and has some basic customization options. My main reason for wanting to be able to pull down the notification shade was for my quick toggles (Notification Toggle is the name if you're curious as to what I'm using) and thanks to NiLS I can add it as a persistent notification on the lockscreen and access them. Beautiful.

Screenshot_2013-08-15-11-13-22.png

Last edited:

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Going back to the S4 vs One now that I hate my One because of purple tint issue:
-Is the S4 as good and loud for music using earphones ??
-Do you have a car app in S4 like the one of HTC? my One is now my daily mp3 reader for my car

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Going back to the S4 vs One now that I hate my One because of purple tint issue:
-Is the S4 as good and loud for music using earphones ??
-Do you have a car app in S4 like the one of HTC? my One is now my daily mp3 reader for my car

Volume seems to be close to the same with headphones. If you have a decent pair there's a little bit more depth (edit: with the HTC One) thanks to Beats.

As far as car mode I don't personally use them. I tinkered around with the iBolt Dock'n Drive (Google Play Link) because I have their car dock and it seemed decent enough. There's some minor mode with S-Voice built in as well, but I don't think it's an official car mode app - but rather more like S-Voice with tailored voice commands for while you're driving, as well as read back.

Last edited:

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Updated: Graphics Comparison (OpenGL ES 3.0)

So, from my understanding both the S4 and HTC One are rocking the exact same CPU and GPU minus clock speed differences. However, the Google Edition of the HTC One now supports OpenGL ES 3.0. I'm not 100% sure, but I recently started gaming a little more (boredom) and downloaded just a few games to kill some time. Currently, I'm addicted to Asphalt 8 and as I was swapping back and forth between the HTC One GPe and S4 (standard) I thought the S4 version just seemed slightly less sharp. So, I took a screenshot to compare and there is definitely a difference.

(Make sure to view full size)
acgraphics.jpg

For those sort of not seeing what I'm seeing, pay attention to any area of the screen that features lines or edges, such as the lines around the windshield and windows that separate it from the frame of the car, the pillars on the left along the walls, or even at the lower front grill (near the chin spoiler) of the car just below the license plate. What should be smooth lines is very jagged on the S4. The HTC One is not perfect either, but it's noticeably better than the S4. Since virtually everything about these two phones are practically the same to my knowledge I believe the reason for the difference lies in OpenGL ES 3.0 and specific games that can take advantage of it.

I say specific games because I also booted up the Iron Man game - which I don't believe is too graphic intensive anyway - and there was literally no difference. I took screenshots of both and laid them on top of each other in photoshop and they were identical in all aspects. I imagine something like the Batman games though may show a difference. I may do screenshots of that later.

Just thought this was interesting so I posted it.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see a comparison between G2 One and S4 by you,specially multimedia stuff like screen,speaker and camera :)

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I should be getting my hands on the Verizon G2 tonight when I get home. For those that have messaged me and asked, yes I will do a comparison and likely a video this time as well comparing to the S4 and just in general with tons of detail. Stay tuned.

JessieMom

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsung galaxy s4 active is the best device ever in the world!! If I could only figure out how to clear the default settings!!!!!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter