Questions about Nexus 4 File Transfers and Internal Storage Structure

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
1) i noticed that even though the nexus 4 don't have an Sd card slot and only internal storage, the internal storage is emulated as an external sd card. i found this when using espxe and also es file explorer to browse through the folders. so is this true, the internal storage on the nexus 4 is emulated as external sd card? is this true for all android devices too?

2) when i play my usb to to transfer files. it really did not matter which folder i put my files into cause all the apps read from the location and it'll scan all the folders in that location for the files anyway? for example even if i put a pdf inside the adobe reader folder or if i put it outside of the adobe folder, it'll still find it. so this means all android app reads from one top level folder?

again these are my speculations and i want to learn more about it, if anyone knows anything about this or knows any good links to sites that can explain these stuff to me, please link me. google's device support page only talks about very basic stuff, like how to use touch keyboard lol...

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Correct on both counts. That is the way Android works, for better or for worse...
then how does it work for android devices with an sd card? there would be two sd card locations to choose from then? one is the real thing and the other is the emulated sd card which is really internal storage?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
An SD card will get it's own directory listing.

I assume the root drive gets that name from back in the days when very smallish motherboard based memory was simply akin to a bios chip with any additional storage connected via SD card type interfaces.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
then how does it work for android devices with an sd card? there would be two sd card locations to choose from then? one is the real thing and the other is the emulated sd card which is really internal storage?

That's exactly how it works. On a Windows PC, plugging in a phone with both internal storage (the emulated SD card, often called the media area) and an external SD card will give you two separate drive letters (I assume it would work the same on a Mac, but never tried it). Apps that ask where you want to move something to will list both the internal storage and the SD card. It's this sort of messiness that's behind Google's decision to forgo removable storage on the Nexus line.

BillyDan

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Need a bit of help. When I plug in my Nexus 4 using the cable that came with it, the phone shows up on "my computer", but no file structure shows up. I have tried to copy files over and get an error message too.

The first time I plugged it in a file structure showed up, but it hasn't since. Perhaps an interesting parallel, but WINAMP also won't recognize the phone any more for wireless transfer (but it did previously).

I have tried the phone in multiple USB ports on the computer, and I'm using Windows 7. Thanks for any thoughts.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is locked, you will only see "Nexus 4" in Windows Explorer.

After connecting your phone (or before if you prefer), power it on and enter the unlock code. That should do the trick.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the nexus 4 doesn't have any type of file manager program? It's not rooted so is one worth it? Any recommendations on one?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the nexus 4 doesn't have any type of file manager program? It's not rooted so is one worth it? Any recommendations on one?

Apps -> Downloads will get you to the default downloads folder.

Beyond that, the free app, Astro File Manager, is quite popular.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Found that. But I guess I was thinking of a file manager to see other files you put on the phone like music folder? Pictures from the camera/gallery? Are those folders already created on the phone and accessable? Or be able to create a docs folder?

Newbie from iOS so it's all new so don't know how much access I really do have unrooted.

Apps -> Downloads will get you to the default downloads folder.

Beyond that, the free app, Astro File Manager, is quite popular.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Found that. But I guess I was thinking of a file manager to see other files you put on the phone like music folder? Pictures from the camera/gallery? Are those folders already created on the phone and accessable? Or be able to create a docs folder?

Newbie from iOS so it's all new so don't know how much access I really do have unrooted.

Right; like I said, Astro File Manger https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.metago.astro&token=GHnCsiWj

By default, images taken with the camera will go into DCIM\Camera and screenshots go into Pictures\Screenshots. You can copy your own images to Pictures folder or any other folder you want (existing or new); the Gallery app will find them automatically. The same applies to most files - you can place your music in the Music folder if you like or just create another folder if you prefer.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Perfect, thanks for the info. I'll go check out that app.

Right; like I said, Astro File Manger https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.metago.astro&token=G5F-pAt2

By default, images taken with the camera will go into DCIM\Camera and screenshots go into Pictures\Screenshots. You can copy your own images to Pictures folder or any other folder you want (existing or new); the Gallery app will find them automatically. The same applies to most files - you can place your music in the Music folder if you like or just create another folder if you prefer.

sdoo25

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Perfect, thanks for the info. I'll go check out that app.

I just transferred my music from Mac to my Nexus 4 today. Used program called Android file transfer that I downloaded from Google. I was able to see the whole file structure on my phone. The same Google website said that no program download is necessary if you're using Windows.

Finger Flab

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This is a new user rant with what is probably just two simple questions.
1) Why should I root my new phone?
2) Why can't I easily find pdf files (or anything else I've put on here) with a _simple_ file manager?

Background:
Just got the Nexus4 this week. Having moved from a Samsung Galaxy S it was a nice upgrade. Bigger screen, faster processor were the first things I noticed. Digging in was the usual process of getting it to do what the last phone did. Synching with Outlook using My Phone Explorer took me most of the first afternoon and evening to get working.
Having to switch USB debugging on and off and switch USB modes from camera to media device in order to see the file system in Windows and only after finding out adb drivers are necessary to do this was tedious, time consuming and confusing.
My main issues now are trying to figure out why so much of this "open" and "unlocked" device are hidden. After lots of searching reading about the wonders and pitfalls of rooting the device I decided to wait and see. Instead I installed the Astro file manager as previously mentioned here and suddenly I'm seeing all sorts of folders and files I cannot see on the phone or in Windows. The "properties" feature (which I can no longer find since stumbling on it today) reveal a directory structure that does not exist in Windows file explorer at all.
I finally discovered my pdf files are in My Files/sdcard/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scratch
Intuitive? Ummmm NO. Since I cannot find these file locations searching in Windows, inside of DropBox or anywhere outside of sdcard0 under "storage" at the highest level of the "file system" Astro is displaying I can only assume these are mounted virtual memory and you just cannot access them directly from Windows USB connection making direct file copies impossible.
Or more likely I am just completely confused. It shouldn't be this hard though. Really...
I have used DropBox to copy useful pdf files I like to carry with me on bike trips like manuals and schematics etc. Also had to install QuickOffice to view them as there is no default pdf reader apparently.
Finding out Chrome (which is nice and fast) does not support older sites with Flash no way no how that is practical was a bummer. Forcing HTML5 on old legacy sites out there by simply dropping Flash support is a lousy approach to things.
I have to say pretty tedious so far trying to figure out the best way to do everyday things. This phone is not for the timid.
But I do really like it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11