how much battery does GPS consume and why won't Google add GPS to the pull down menu

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
it's odd to me that wifi and bluetooth are there but not GPS. i wonder if Google is trying to discourage people from turning off GPS?

also, how can i tell how much battery GPS is consuming? there doesn't appear to be a standalone battery category for it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
it's odd to me that wifi and bluetooth are there but not GPS. i wonder if Google is trying to discourage people from turning off GPS?

also, how can i tell how much battery GPS is consuming? there doesn't appear to be a standalone battery category for it.

google has long way to go with the pull down settings. use an app called power toggles.
its one of the best and I love the app. its light weight, don't use any battery at all.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I never turn off my GPS and notice no particular battery drain from it. GPS is a receiver, not a transmitter, and outside of an occasional app using it for updates (like weather), which you can control the fequency of, it stays off. Every once in a while, I may notice my GPS icon on and if it doesn't go off in a bit, I reboot the device. That might happen once in a month. If you are noticing yours on more often, then you likely have installed some poorly written app that is not cleaning itself up after its use.

There is a free app called widgetsoid that lets you set up short cuts (i.e. setting up a GPS toggle) that show up in your notifications pull down. However, I believe that if you're toggling GPS off/on when needed, it often takes longer to get a GPS lock, which can be frustrating if you want to get a quick look at nearby stores in Places, or want to hit the mic button and say "Navigate to ..."

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If everybody turned off GPS on their devices then traffic on google maps would stop working.
So its in googles best interest to keep GPS on. Thats how they get that info, when you set up your phone and it says we will collect anonymous location data, it means they need to know when your stopped on a highway to make the green line go red. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non