stay away from google products

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Google voice makes money several ways;
They charge for international calls.
They place ads on their website.
They collect usage data and sell it.
They also drag you further into the Google collective.

I repeat - there is nothing wrong with any of this as long as you realize it. Google is the business of selling data on you, and populations. They are not Santa Claus. They collect data, mine it and sell it. Voice is another source of data and another income stream.
I'm sorry but I really dislike comments like this. Google makes money off advertising and data but that also benefits us. It costs us nothing. They do tons of things that do fail and actually lose them money in the process of innovating new ideas. Their model is no different that any other business, yet they give more to society than most corporations so I'm not sure why you are complaining other than to poo poo on the success of a company that isn't blood sucking our wallets. The N4 and N7 are at least half the price of any other competing products. They didn't need to be that cheap.

Try to rationalize how they are trying to just turn everything they do into money as some sort of evil financial agenda all you want but it really doesn't add up. Google still has people running their business. Not every corporation has to be run with a selfish agenda at all costs. Concepts like Project glass could prove to be utter failures, yet Google is investing their time and money to create new things for us. And all the time they are including free services by the boat load. Ads are invisible to me now. I ignore them all. Feel free to put them on anything you like. For me it's worth the benefit.

Compare Google to Apple and I think it is pretty obvious the difference between their respective corporate agendas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google is the Assassins to the rest of the fascist corporate world's Templars.

nothing is true; everything is permitted.

pcuciti

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
"The only thing they make money on is advertising. Which yes they make good money on but not that great of money."

They not only sell advertising, they sell data (in aggregate) to all sorts of companies who then mine it for valuable info.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a problem with data mining lol so each to their own

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nor do I. If you don't mind Google mining the data you provide, go ahead. But I run into this "Google is the benevolent cool tech company" mindset all the time. People talk about how mind-controlled Apple people are, but Google fans are every bit as bad. The companies are more similar than they are different. Both give us awesome products. Both have their fan bases who think they can do no wrong. And both are in business to make money. They just go about it differently. Neither is morally better than the other. They just are what they are - companies run by people who rather enjoy their high standards of living, which they have attained because you buy their products. They aren't doing what they do to make the world a better place, even if their marketing departments come up with catchy little phrases like "Don't be evil." I still roll my eyes when I think about the 1984-style campaign Apple ran - remember that? And now they are the people they were poking fun at back then. Big companies are all pretty much the same - individuals working for them can be spectacularly awesome. But the companies as an entity exist to "monetize" (a word I absolutely hate since it's very dehumanizing) you and your information, period.

As for the OPs problem, the fact that the parcel got wet can't be blamed on Google. They didn't handle it in transit, they just handed it over to a shipper. The fact that they aren't very responsive is unfortunate but not uncommon - but they could actually refer you to the carrier and let THEM handle it. And until you've dealt with a carrier, you haven't had customer service problems! Google customer service is usually fairly good. Keep after them is the only advice I can give. Be polite but firm, and ask to escalate the problem. If you want, it might be a really good idea to go after the carrier too. But I suspect you won't get satisfaction from them if they are anything like the carriers here in the US.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Nor do I. If you don't mind Google mining the data you provide, go ahead. But I run into this "Google is the benevolent cool tech company" mindset all the time. People talk about how mind-controlled Apple people are, but Google fans are every bit as bad. The companies are more similar than they are different. Both give us awesome products. Both have their fan bases who think they can do no wrong. And both are in business to make money. They just go about it differently. Neither is morally better than the other. They just are what they are - companies run by people who rather enjoy their high standards of living, which they have attained because you buy their products. They aren't doing what they do to make the world a better place, even if their marketing departments come up with catchy little phrases like "Don't be evil." I still roll my eyes when I think about the 1984-style campaign Apple ran - remember that? And now they are the people they were poking fun at back then. Big companies are all pretty much the same - individuals working for them can be spectacularly awesome. But the companies as an entity exist to "monetize" (a word I absolutely hate since it's very dehumanizing) you and your information, period.

As for the OPs problem, the fact that the parcel got wet can't be blamed on Google. They didn't handle it in transit, they just handed it over to a shipper. The fact that they aren't very responsive is unfortunate but not uncommon - but they could actually refer you to the carrier and let THEM handle it. And until you've dealt with a carrier, you haven't had customer service problems! Google customer service is usually fairly good. Keep after them is the only advice I can give. Be polite but firm, and ask to escalate the problem. If you want, it might be a really good idea to go after the carrier too. But I suspect you won't get satisfaction from them if they are anything like the carriers here in the US.
I disagree. Yes both companies make buckets of money but Google doesn't sue small companies over lame trademark claims. Apple steps out of the moral space far more than any tech company. I have zero respect.

pcuciti

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Coincidently, NPR ran a segment this morning about "Big Data".
Here's a link to the web page:
Author Interview: Kenneth Cukier, Co-Author Of 'Big Data' : NPR

Since i made the comment, 'dream on', it's been an interesting thread to read. (My apologies to the OP) I just want to say that Google still rates above-average for having a heart, but we should never forget that we are paying for the privilege. My comment was aimed at the naive impression that Google was totally altruistic...it isn't.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Coincidently, NPR ran a segment this morning about "Big Data".
Here's a link to the web page:
Author Interview: Kenneth Cukier, Co-Author Of 'Big Data' : NPR

Since i made the comment, 'dream on', it's been an interesting thread to read. (My apologies to the OP) I just want to say that Google still rates above-average for having a heart, but we should never forget that we are paying for the privilege. My comment was aimed at the naive impression that Google was totally altruistic...it isn't.

That's exactly my point. I'm not saying either company is a bad company. But they aren't human in the sense that an individual is, and they have to answer to their stockholders. And that's OK. They have to make a profit. That's what they are for. Sometimes they get a little into moral grey areas when doing so. Look at Google and the wifi data collection they did "accidentally." Uh huh. I doubt there was evil intent there, but it was a privacy invasion. Apple - same thing. They collect data that they probably should not be and that you don't even think about.

This has been an interesting debate. I have worked for a very large company (Westinghouse) and I know they don't think policies through in their anxiety to show profit. The *good* thing is that there are people calling them out - every company needs that to remain at lease somewhat grounded. And I am of an older generation. Where I go, what I buy, who I see and what I do is no ones business but mine. I concede that younger people seem more willing to give up that data for more service in return. As for me, dang it, 300 baud modems and 12K of memory are good enough for anyone, you whippersnappers. :) :) :) :) :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. Yes both companies make buckets of money but Google doesn't sue small companies over lame trademark claims. Apple steps out of the moral space far more than any tech company. I have zero respect.

And Google takes our personal info that doesn't make me lose respect for them.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
And Google takes our personal info that doesn't make me lose respect for them.
They can only take what I give them. That information is anonymous data. They aren't selling my personal information to anyone. There is a big difference in the trade off. In fact sometimes it actually helps my user experience.

If they were running around waving my information around saying hey everyone "here's what Brad was searching for last night" it would be different.

pcuciti

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They can only take what I give them. That information is anonymous data. They aren't selling my personal information to anyone. There is a big difference in the trade off. In fact sometimes it actually helps my user experience.

If they were running around waving my information around saying hey everyone "here's what Brad was searching for last night" it would be different.

It is ONLY a few mouse clicks away from being personalized (NON-annonymous). The data is there, your name is attached to your phone; pair it and WHAM!
And if they ever feel like running around, waving your info, you won't have a choice.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It is ONLY a few mouse clicks away from being personalized (NON-annonymous). The data is there, your name is attached to your phone; pair it and WHAM!
And if they ever feel like running around, waving your info, you won't have a choice.
Sorry that is not what their user agreement and privacy policy say. It's called the law.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
only phones I have ever needed to replace were Alcatels....I have a Nexus S and a Galaxy Nexus. Not even a hiccup from either...as far as Android phones are concerned it's only Google for me....did they ship your N4 through the Trans-Atlantic Cable ?

Sent from my dry as a bone Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38