Google Delaying Update(March 2022) ... Again

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this delay in updates for the Pixel 6 line will mean that Google will work out the kinks in the system and deliver a smooth update.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully, these update delays won't become the norm with our P6's.

It’s only a “delay” if you compare it to something. There is nothing inherently upsetting about Tensor-powered phones being updated a week later. (Or any other time)

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
When we get it this month we get it I've come to the point now that I stop thinking about I really need this the first Monday of the month or whatever., Carry on folks lol

sundry

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
When we get it this month we get it I've come to the point now that I stop thinking about I really need this the first Monday of the month or whatever., Carry on folks lol

I agree.

I've done a few tweaks in the meantime. I've installed transparent clock & weather. Links to calendar and I can tap through various cities for weather.
I've set my brightness to just over half and turned off smooth display (120 Hz). My battery life is over a day and a half now. I don't feel I've compromised at all with those changes.

So I'm happy to wait for the update.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The number 1 reason (by a very large margin) I have chosen Nexus and Pixel phones over any other Android OEM for my last three phones is consistent and early updates. They are 2/5 (actually 2/6 for those that bought from Google and use Verizon as we had to sideload the first update) on getting it right for the Pixel 6s. Not inspiring confidence.

Does the phone work? Yes. Does it meet my expectations? No

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The number 1 reason (by a very large margin) I have chosen Nexus and Pixel phones over any other Android OEM for my last three phones is consistent and early updates. They are 2/5 (actually 2/6 for those that bought from Google and use Verizon as we had to sideload the first update) on getting it right for the Pixel 6s. Not inspiring confidence.

Does the phone work? Yes. Does it meet my expectations? No

100% agree.

The MAJOR reason for getting a pixel is timely, fast updates. They set the precedent of updating them every first Monday pretty much, now they are failing at maintaining their own standards.

I think they are 1/5 in updates if I remember right.

Nov - Delayed
Dec - Pulled *after not telling anybody, then trying to sneak it by Dec 30*
Jan - delayed
Feb - on time
Mar - delayed

I know people will say "let them take their time get it right, you don't want a rushed update" even when they take their time, they are still breaking so many basic things. It's becoming exhausting.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
it's not a huge deal, but you are correct that it is bad optics.

The only people that it is bad optics to are reviewers and people who respond to these forums. Your regular average everyday Joe does not even know that there is an update coming. It's just those of us who sit on the edge of our seats waiting for our next update on our cell phone. When you think about it, that's kind of pitiful. There are plenty of other things to be worried about other than an update on a cell phone.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
For many of us, tapping the date opens weather and not the calendar. So it will be a welcome fix.

If you want it to open up the calendar then just go into the options and toggle off the weather. Turn the weather toggle off and then it will open up the calendar.

Long press home screen<customize tool<at a glance tool<more ways to customize<turn weather toggle to off!
Once you do that, then at a glance should pull up the calendar.

Now just add your material you weather widget and you're set.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The only people that it is bad optics to are reviewers and people who respond to these forums. Your regular average everyday Joe does not even know that there is an update coming. It's just those of us who sit on the edge of our seats waiting for our next update on our cell phone. When you think about it, that's kind of pitiful. There are plenty of other things to be worried about other than an update on a cell phone.

Well , in a Android Forum its part of the talks here .
You have YouTubers talking everyday about , updates, phone reviews, picture samples etc..
Most average Joe dont even know or care but then you have phone tech Geeks like us .

Thats what the Forums like this talk about

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I agree completely with you. I think the negative reviews and press can hurt Google in regards to phone perception and sales.

I think overall they need to execute better, but agree it's minor in the grand scheme of things.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree completely with you. I think the negative reviews and press can hurt Google in regards to phone perception and sales.

I think overall they need to execute better, but agree it's minor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm looking forward to the time when updates are on time, and less stuff is broken here's hoping google can keep up their end of the bargain.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

And who do you think those average Joe's consult when they're buying a new phone? Reviews, and the kind of people who responded to these forums. Bad optics to us IS bad optics to them.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
And who do you think those average Joe's consult when they're buying a new phone? Reviews, and the kind of people who responded to these forums. Bad optics to us IS bad optics to them.

I notice that many people walk into their provider's store and ask the salesman what to get, then they buy what he recommends. At least I see that happen over and over when I go in to look at the new Pixels.