Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone using Nexus 4 with an ATT MVNO?

Hey there. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread.

I just cancelled my AT&T contract early so that I could go prepaid and save some money. Unfortunately, after doing so, I found out that Straight Talk is no longer offering ATT sims. I went ahead and gave the T-mo sim a shot, but I have no signal on the latter half of my long commute to work and that's a problem. Are there any decent ATT MVNOs left? I just went to the Net10 site and they too are only offering Tmobile sims. Any suggestions? I may have screwed up here...

ROM
    Stock w/FF18 update

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 with an ATT MVNO?

Amazon.com: Straight Talk Sim Card and Activation Kit for Any AT&T or Unlocked Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Get ready to pay some serious cash CoolBeit because sellers of the StraightTalk AT&T micro sim cards know that they have us by the digital balls. You can find some sellers on Amazon or e-bay & your looking at paying about $100.00 a pop! vs the usual $14.00. Good Luck.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Any reason the Net10 ATT sims are in such lower demand?

Net10 Sim Card Factory SEALED Brand New at T Network | eBay

Is ST no longer offering SIMs that connect to their ATT network, or are they just no longer offering the micro SIM that the N4 uses? I ask because I cut down a regular SIM to a micro (had never done it before) and it worked great.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They're not offering any type of ATT sim currently. There is a lot of speculation about why, but no one knows for sure. I grabbed a few Net10 cards off ebay before I posted that link, so hopefully they'll work for me. Although I hate to give up this t-mo sim. I'm getting 20 Mbps down at home vs. 3 when I was on att.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,292 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeit View Post
    I grabbed a few Net10 cards off ebay before I posted that link, so hopefully they'll work for me.
    I did that too, and then I discovered that the seller I purchased them from requires you to activate them within 30 days, or you will receive negative feedback. I need one, and I might need the 2nd. I bought 2 because they were only 99 each. I figured it was worth 99 to not have to order the 2nd one if I end up needing it. So now I have to either use the 2nd one or return it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Any reason the Net10 ATT sims are in such lower demand?

Net10 Sim Card Factory SEALED Brand New at T Network | eBay
    The Net10 ATT sims appear to still be available from the vendor. Also, their rates are a bit higher ($50 vs. $45/month) when compared to Straight Talk.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I did that too, and then I discovered that the seller I purchased them from requires you to activate them within 30 days, or you will receive negative feedback. I need one, and I might need the 2nd. I bought 2 because they were only 99 each. I figured it was worth 99 to not have to order the 2nd one if I end up needing it. So now I have to either use the 2nd one or return it.
    Uh oh. I bought four because I thought my family MIGHT need them. I'm not sure that they actually will. Ah well.

I'm on Airvoice. $40 unl min and txts 500 mb data
    Thanked by:

When you notice things like this warning from this seller, create a new eBay account just for this purchase so that you won't have to activate the sim in 30 days. I do this all the time to get around stupid restrictions from sellers. After you get the sims, close that eBay account.
    Last edited by NexusGirlX; 03-08-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

Hey there. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread.

I just cancelled my AT&T contract early so that I could go prepaid and save some money. Unfortunately, after doing so, I found out that Straight Talk is no longer offering ATT sims. I went ahead and gave the T-mo sim a shot, but I have no signal on the latter half of my long commute to work and that's a problem. Are there any decent ATT MVNOs left? I just went to the Net10 site and they too are only offering Tmobile sims. Any suggestions? I may have screwed up here...
    AirVoice Airvoice Wireless
    Black Wireless Black Wireless - Official Site
    Fuzion Mobile http://www.fuzionmobile.com/
    Good2Go Mobile http://www.good2gomobile.com/
    H20 Wireless https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/
    Jolt Mobile http://www.joltmobile.com/
    Net10 NET10 Wireless
    Phonata Phonata - Home
    Red Pocket Mobile Go Red Pocket | Unlimited cell phone plans | Prepaid wireless phones
    Skyview Wireless http://www.skyvw.com/
    Straight Talk Straight Talk | No Contract Cell Phones | Android Smartphones

edit: it's a bit controversial but I should also add Solavei Unlimited 4G Voice, Text, and Data Cell Phone Plan for $49 | Solavei
    Last edited by Bob Coxner; 03-08-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.

I too was in this predicament... The net 10 byop at Walmart had both att and tmo Sim in it... I got lucky

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,292 Global Posts

Uh oh. I bought four because I thought my family MIGHT need them. I'm not sure that they actually will. Ah well.
    That rule varies by seller. I saw another seller that didn't seem to have that restriction, but only had regular SIMs available. I chose the one I did because he sold micro SIMs. Had I noticed the restriction before buying I would've probably gotten the regular SIMs and cut them. We have a cutter at work.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    When you notice things like this warning from this seller, create a new eBay account just for this purchase so that you won't have to activate the sim in 30 days. I do this all the time to get around stupid restrictions from sellers. After you get the sims, close that eBay account.
    Thanks, I'll have to remember that trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
    edit: it's a bit controversial but I should also add Solavei Unlimited 4G Voice, Text, and Data Cell Phone Plan for $49 | Solavei
    Solavei is on T-Mobile's network, not AT&T's.

New here and just stumbled on this thread, went to the net 10 site and found this official statement.
    Browsing around the site, it didn't have an option to choose sim cards that I seen like st?????

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.

*Tethering is prohibited. Other restrictions and limitations apply. See Terms and Conditions of Service.

Just checked this out. All sims on site say t-mobile compatible like ST

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.

*Tethering is prohibited. Other restrictions and limitations apply. See Terms and Conditions of Service.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I'm ok with the 1.5 GB, especially since att in my area socks anyway. I'll trade it to have signal during my daily drive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I broke my at&t early to go to ST worth Nexus 4. You want to stick with At&t mvno so you don't get hit with early termination fee.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Sorry to add to the necro posting of this thread, but I wanted to let you know that sellers can't leave you a negative feedback. eBay hasn't let sellers leave a negative feedback since May 2008. So you don't have to create another account just to buy stuff from sellers that threaten this.
    Get rid of all the randomness in the world and you will have a world without hamsters.

I'm using my Nexus 4 with NET10 and have had very few problems. I bought the Micro sim on Amazon for $1.00. About a month after I signed up NET10 announced that data with the ATT sim was going to be limited to 1.5gb per 30 days. Not a big problem for me as I switch to wifi whenever possible. I also changed the setting for any updates to be done when connected to wifi. With those adjustments I find that I never come close to 1.5gb per month. For some it might be a problem but not for me. I use social media, email, navigation, and other web apps with no problems. I even stream the occasional video. They did offer a free swap to the t-mobile sim but I don't think the coverage is as good as ATT so, like you, opting to keep ATT sim with the data limit and slower speeds. I pay $45/month with auto pay for unlimited calling, text, and 1.5gb of data. My bill with tax is under $50. Not bad for no contract, a great phone, and service that I think is as good as any post paid carrier. Very happy with NET10 so far.....
    Thanked by:
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,292 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betsuni View Post
    Sorry to add to the necro posting of this thread, but I wanted to let you know that sellers can't leave you a negative feedback. eBay hasn't let sellers leave a negative feedback since May 2008. So you don't have to create another account just to buy stuff from sellers that threaten this.
    Thanks for the reminder! Now that you mention it I do remember when eBay announced this. Good thing too since it ended up not being activated in time. I guess the worst they can do is not allow me to purchase anymore, which doesn't matter in this case ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

If you contact Straight Talk, they'll give you a PDF of the Walmarts that still carry the AT&T sims.

In fact, I attached the PDF.

I was driving to So Cal a few weeks ago and stopped in and bought a kit. The kit has sims for ATT and TMo. I guess I coulda bought more and ebay'ed em.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanked by:
    Nexus4Buyer likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

WOW! None in FL! But thanks anyway.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bencrackber View Post
    If you contact Straight Talk, they'll give you a PDF of the Walmarts that still carry the AT&T sims.

In fact, I attached the PDF.

I was driving to So Cal a few weeks ago and stopped in and bought a kit. The kit has sims for ATT and TMo. I guess I coulda bought more and ebay'ed em.
    They actually have 2 AT&T cards and 1 Tmo. One regular and one micro for AT&T and a regular Tmo. I just bought a set 2 days ago. I live near two of these stores.
    See other post with pic

I am on Blackwireless and its more than one month. I am pretty happy so far. I was on Straight Talk earlier.

1. I used 11215 and got $5 off with free shipping.
    2. Paid for 1 month and got second month free. They gave credit to the users. So I bought $60 plan in the first month and got credit of $60. For the next 2 months I will use this by splitting it into 2 month with $30 plan.
    3. Decent customer rep.
    4. They include free International direct dial minutes. Around 300 minutes in $30 plan and so forth.
    5. Got my SIM in 3 days.
    6. Porting took 5 hours.

go to blackwireless.com for more details. They usually have deals every month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast