The LG V60 is here: My Phone of the Year.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, MWC was cancelled but that didn't stop LG from showing off their newly announced LG V60. It's not flash or bleeding edge. It won't win any awards for best design. And yet this is the most exciting phone of the year so far for me personally. I fell in love with LG when they came out with the original V10(one which I reordered a while back off eBay as a backup/give to the kids device). An OEM who gives the user control over not just photos but video as well. All user changeable on the fly? I had never seen anything like it on a phone. It was amazing. But the bootloop issue(it hit me and my brother-in-law who I convinced to get one as well) was a real thing. The uncertainty of the V10's reliability took me right to the V20. The V20 truly had everything a power user could want. Removable battery, IR blaster, and the now wide angle camera and the updated HiFi recording app. From then on I upgraded to the V30 and finally last year I gave OnePlus a chance and it has been a really fun ride.

The 7 Pro is truly a great phone and I thought I could make up what I lost in manual video mode with apps like Filmic Pro but that just wasn't the case. Android still has the too many phones, too many APIs, and not every phone supports a certain feature not to mention how much access the OEMs give third party app developers. So I was quite jealous to see Apple and Filmic show off recording from multiple cameras at once on the 11 Pro last year or even the fact that Filmic Pro does indeed support all three lenses on iOS. No such case on Android or OnePlus devices. Also OnePlus doesn't have any flash options at all in the pro mode for photos. Options that LG uniquely covers with rear curtain flash and other flash options in pro mode. As fun as a 90hz QHD screen is especially with no interruptions, I knew I would eventually go back to what I love.

And here we are in 2020. The LG V60 has arrived, or it will be soon. They went with some interesting decisions in going down to a FHD+ panel(no high refresh rate screen) instead of a QHD one. I kinda disagree with that one the most but when I think of the battery life this phone will have at 5000mAh I'm a lot more forgiving. Also no optical telephoto option. LG is using the 64mp main sensor for all your zooming needs and I really think this is the route Google should have went with the Pixel 4/XL. If this allows for decent zoom even in lowlight I'm all for this sacrifice.

No other compromises were made here. Well it is a huge phone though. I definitely would've liked a smaller one. You get one of the most complete packages outside of those two things. 8GB of RAM. 128GB of expandable storage and a second screen. HiFi audio through the headphone jack and recording app. Second screen accessory. All for a price cheaper than the $999 S20. I'm all for this. And the fact that T-Mobile is getting it this year unlike the V50 is just the icing on the cake. Here's my main man Juan Bagnell on a pretty hectic day covering the things I care about in the V60. Mind you the whole video is shot on the V50. The quality is amazing. And I included a video I shot on the V10 from a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/ItrBiBp37gc

https://youtu.be/Fa495cN9I0Q

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up.

The V20 spoiled me, so there's several things I'm not fond of (sealed battery, glass main body, and OLED screen), but I think I'm liking it overall. I never knew how much I'd miss having so much control over my photos when I got my current phone. I'm glad they finally got stereo speakers, but it looks like the bottom one is still bottom firing? Another concern is the quality of the digital zoom. 64MP sounds impressive, but I would expect a loss of image quality due to imperfect glass. I'm ok with the FHD 60Hz screen, though. Anything beyond 720p is almost impossible to notice a difference on such a small screen, and I could easily go back to 60Hz even after using my current phone with 90Hz and 120Hz settings.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure. My current phone is rather lackluster in a lot of ways, but it was also dirt cheap. I got it as a temporary when my V20 got too glitchy, and nothing else excited me at the time. This may get me back on track.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mooncat. So what is your current phone? Also I've come down off the announcement high and yes it was a high.lol So three things for me. Size of the phone. It's bigger than my OnePlus 7 Pro which is already a big phone. Lack of telephoto lens and quality of the camera.(including the selfie camera) Nothing can be done about the size now. It is what it is. I need to see real world results of how good the 64mp sensor will be at zooming in at different lighting conditions. I also need to see all around improvements from LG in photo quality. I have no doubts about the video capabilities. If photos come out crisp at 2-5x zoom, I will be more than happy with that. I really hope they improved the selfie camera as well with better software processing. I do love the processing from the Pixel line for selfies and point and shoot photos. If Google and LG could merge together that would actually be my dream device. Hardware from LG with Pixel processing and LG's manual controls.
Also I do expect OnePlus to bring out another hit at around $800 that does everything the S20 line does at a lesser price and they will have the true optical zoom which I prefer. If and only if the photo quality from the V60 disappoints, I may continue on with OnePlus. They update their devices 10x more frequently than LG ever has.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My current phone is the Razer Phone 2, which does have an optical 2X lens (oddly enough), but the camera processing is laughable. The Gcam port isn't much better (due to no manual controls and no telephoto lens ability).

I know the One Plus phones get a lot of great reviews, but I don't think they are fully compatible with Verizon.

As for LG and lack of updates, that goes into the win column in my book. Lol.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My current phone is the Razer Phone 2, which does have an optical 2X lens (oddly enough), but the camera processing is laughable. The Gcam port isn't much better (due to no manual controls and no telephoto lens ability).

I know the One Plus phones get a lot of great reviews, but I don't think they are fully compatible with Verizon.

As for LG and lack of updates, that goes into the win column in my book. Lol.
I've seen your stance on updates.lol Oh yeah the Razer Phone 2. Do you do any gaming on it? Solid phone though. I think I can settle for a nice quality 2-5 zoom with the V60 though. If it can achieve that I'm good. If not, I'll have to settle for getting manual controls through Filmic Pro using only the main lens.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah the Razer Phone 2. Do you do any gaming on it?

I do, and it's a gaming beast. It's marketed as a gaming phone, and it holds up to that claim well. Everything else is mediocre. Loud, but muffled speakers, bad color calibration on the display, bad photos, no headphone jack (incredibly inconvenient when you have to decide between charging or listening to music through a car stereo). It does have a flat screen with no notch/cutout, though, so I'll give it credit for that. Lol

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I do, and it's a gaming beast. It's marketed as a gaming phone, and it holds up to that claim well. Everything else is mediocre. Loud, but muffled speakers, bad color calibration on the display, bad photos, no headphone jack (incredibly inconvenient when you have to decide between charging or listening to music through a car stereo). It does have a flat screen with no notch/cutout, though, so I'll give it credit for that. Lol
Lol yeah no notch so there's that. But I think LG is going to do the right things with the V60. Can't wait to get more info about it and see some real camera samples.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
This may be one of the biggest phones made. There's no way I'm throwing a case on this outside of the occasional second display case when I want to really multitask. Hopefully it's not a slippery phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This may be one of the biggest phones made. There's no way I'm throwing a case on this outside of the occasional second display case when I want to really multitask. Hopefully it's not a slippery phone.
It's glass bodied, so I fully expect it to be slippery. The dual screen case looks somewhat protective, but not sure if I'll want to use it. I don't see myself having much use for a dual screen, but I'll give it a try if I get one.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
It's glass bodied, so I fully expect it to be slippery. The dual screen case looks somewhat protective, but not sure if I'll want to use it. I don't see myself having much use for a dual screen, but I'll give it a try if I get one.
I can see some cool unique cases for using it. One being Skype or Duo calls. You can stand the phone up vertically and do hands free video calls. Also I think using an editing app like Power Director with the full screen view option could give you two separate panels for easier editing or watching YouTube full screen while texting full screen on the other panel. I don't think I'll use it often but I've got some plans for it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well there's no LG V60 tab in the LG thread section yet so here's some info regarding pricing and availability for the phone.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/lg-v60-thinq-5G-verizon-att-t-mobile-pricing-release-date_id123027
At the price LG's asking I think the V60 is a steal and certainly a better value than the S20 in my opinion. So I'll be picking mine up this weekend from T-Mobile with the Dual screen option.
That sounds great! What colour are you getting?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I may go for the classy blue. Might have to see them in person though. They heavily resemble the S10 and I'm not mad about that at all.
The blue looks very nice. I got a blue S10+ last fall, only because Verizon was charging too much for the V50, and I wasn't crazy about it. I'd be interested in the V60 if I were in the market now. I like it a lot more than the V50.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The blue looks very nice. I got a blue S10+ last fall, only because Verizon was charging too much for the V50, and I wasn't crazy about it. I'd be interested in the V60 if I were in the market now. I like it a lot more than the V50.
I really love the smaller size of the V50 and the flush cameras on the rear. The V60 is going to be a big boy but after using the 7 Pro for almost a year I'm ready for it. Unless it completely falls apart, I will not be upgrading for a while this time....stay tuned to see if I tell the truth.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll get the blue if I pull the trigger.

It looks like several carriers are selling the second screen case separately. Verizon, on the other hand is selling the phone only for more than the phone plus case of other carriers, but advertising the screen case as belong included free like it's some sort of perk.

Gotta love marketing...

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Haha yeah the marketing for this will be something to see. I think I'd rather have it than not. Playing with the G8 X convinced me all the more. I like that we have the choice though except for Verizon.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too am excited for the V60. The V line has always enticed me and I fell in love with LG again when the LG G6 came out. Can't wait to see it in the store!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I too am excited for the V60. The V line has always enticed me and I fell in love with LG again when the LG G6 came out. Can't wait to see it in the store!
The store situation maybe lacking with the situation going on. I went into T-Mobile today and it was like I was walking into a doctor's office the way they were gloved up.lol But I get it. But they didn't have any in stock. Didn't try to get me any information on when they might be in stock or any other alternative methods. Looking to order online instead today.