The LG V60 is here: My Phone of the Year.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Because I'm looking closely at this phone it will be my next upgrade from the G8 which is also a great phone. That is usually a great site to compare phones.

LG is an often overlooked brand, despite typically having great phones. It's not really surprising to see them left out of benchmark tests. Then again, those tests can be faked and don't tell the entire story.

Case in point, my last phone was the Razer Phone 2, a gaming specific phone. Something like that would get top marks on benchmarks, but in practical use was a clunker. Sure, it played games great, but the UI was not that good, had a lot of minor software issues, and would eat through the battery like you wouldn't believe. It was also the shortest used daily driver in my history.

I can understand using benchmarks as a small part of the decision making process, but shouldn't be a focal point. That's especially true now that the phone has been out a while and user feedback is prevalent.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
LG is an often overlooked brand, despite typically having great phones. It's not really surprising to see them left out of benchmark tests. Then again, those tests can be faked and don't tell the entire story.

Case in point, my last phone was the Razer Phone 2, a gaming specific phone. Something like that would get top marks on benchmarks, but in practical use was a clunker. Sure, it played games great, but the UI was not that good, had a lot of minor software issues, and would eat through the battery like you wouldn't believe. It was also the shortest used daily driver in my history.

I can understand using benchmarks as a small part of the decision making process, but shouldn't be a focal point. That's especially true now that the phone has been out a while and user feedback is prevalent.

I agree with you - LG makes quality products yet is oftentimes overlooked, both by reviewers and consumers. Very unfortunate.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you - LG makes quality products yet is oftentimes overlooked, both by reviewers and consumers. Very unfortunate.
I was vaguely tempted after owning and enjoying the V40 and V50, but I decided it was time to try something else. Also I was frankly tired of LG's glacial pace of system updates.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This past Saturday I purchased a V60 Thin Q to replace my Samsung S10+. I've been very happy with the phone and the battery life has been great. There are a bunch of odd software quirks, but nothing I can't get past.

On Tuesday I had it in a car mount using GPS for a trip I was making into the next state. At one point I noticed the screen was blank and assumed it went to sleep. A few minutes later there was a message from maps and the screen came on, but a minute later went to sleep. A little later I tapped the screen to wake it and it comes up as a full green screen. The GPS was still giving me directions verbally and got me to exit due to a traffic jam. I wanted to stop to try to reboot but was worried I'd lose the GPS so kept going. Luckily I left it since when I tried later I could not get rid of the green screen even after powering down. I've since read others have had this issue. I went to Verizon yesterday and they exchanged the phone for a new one and replaced the screen protector. So far it's fine, but has only been a day.

HAs anyone else had this issue and is it widespread or was I just unlucky?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was vaguely tempted after owning and enjoying the V40 and V50, but I decided it was time to try something else. Also I was frankly tired of LG's glacial pace of system updates.

I understand what you are saying, both about being tempted and about their slower update regime. Too bad, because LG does make quality products.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
This past Saturday I purchased a V60 Thin Q to replace my Samsung S10+. I've been very happy with the phone and the battery life has been great. There are a bunch of odd software quirks, but nothing I can't get past.

On Tuesday I had it in a car mount using GPS for a trip I was making into the next state. At one point I noticed the screen was blank and assumed it went to sleep. A few minutes later there was a message from maps and the screen came on, but a minute later went to sleep. A little later I tapped the screen to wake it and it comes up as a full green screen. The GPS was still giving me directions verbally and got me to exit due to a traffic jam. I wanted to stop to try to reboot but was worried I'd lose the GPS so kept going. Luckily I left it since when I tried later I could not get rid of the green screen even after powering down. I've since read others have had this issue. I went to Verizon yesterday and they exchanged the phone for a new one and replaced the screen protector. So far it's fine, but has only been a day.

HAs anyone else had this issue and is it widespread or was I just unlucky?
Had mine for about a month and used gps several times and not one issue with it. Maybe it was just your original phone. Hopefully the new one will work as it's supposed to.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
FWIW-- I got mine to replace a Note 8 that ironically would not lock a GPS location on Google Maps!!
Have had it 2 weeks now (AT&T) and mine is working fine. It navigated me around a terrible jam last week so I was glad to have reliable GPS back! It would be ironic to have that be an issue- the whole reason I upgraded! I am very pleased with this phone- it's got stellar battery life and great performance and audio and I am using a stylus here and there too. Very happy with this phone and glad I got it.

Last edited: