The LG V60 is here: My Phone of the Year.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This one was on manual mode and edited from the RAW to look more realistic. The machines and their lights are turned off, so it's darker than the auto mode would lead one to believe.PSX_20200505_191541.jpeg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sticking with the theme of photos, I found this app a few weeks ago, and I think it ranks just a hair below the stock app. For photo use, it's actually on par, if not a bit better than the stock app (depending on your needs), but doesn't have audio controls with video recording like the OEM app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lensesdev.manual.camera.pro

What makes app so useful? It's the first one I've found with an intervalometer! When searching for that, virtually all the results with one only use it to create time lapse videos. This app keeps the photos separate, which is something I've wanted for some of my light painting work. It can also be used in combination with the manual camera controls for total control. It's the one feature I wish the OEM app had. There's also an exposure bracketing option if you want to make your own HDR photos. Those are powerful tools for those that know what they are doing. Another thing that surprised me is it can make use of all 3 cameras. Again, this is a first, as other third party apps I've tried only use the selfie or main back camera.

The down sides are the ISO is limited to 800 (3200 on the OEM app), and shutter at 8.9s (20s on OEM). It does seem to have a faster max shutter speed at 1/20796.9s compared to 1/4000 OEM, but I haven't tested that yet. It also doesn't allow you to select a 64MP option, maxing out at 16MP. I'm hoping it still allows for pixel binning, but I can't verify that. In comparison photos, the exposure looks identical, but is more noisy in this app. My guess is it is pixel binning, but isn't applying noise reduction like the OEM app.

I've always said LG had the best camera apps, but this is giving them a run for their money.

It was on sale free when I found it, but looks to be US$5 now.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sticking with the theme of photos, I found this app a few weeks ago, and I think it ranks just a hair below the stock app. For photo use, it's actually on par, if not a bit better than the stock app (depending on your needs), but doesn't have audio controls with video recording like the OEM app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lensesdev.manual.camera.pro

What makes app so useful? It's the first one I've found with an intervalometer! When searching for that, virtually all the results with one only use it to create time lapse videos. This app keeps the photos separate, which is something I've wanted for some of my light painting work. It can also be used in combination with the manual camera controls for total control. It's the one feature I wish the OEM app had. There's also an exposure bracketing option if you want to make your own HDR photos. Those are powerful tools for those that know what they are doing. Another thing that surprised me is it can make use of all 3 cameras. Again, this is a first, as other third party apps I've tried only use the selfie or main back camera.

The down sides are the ISO is limited to 800 (3200 on the OEM app), and shutter at 8.9s (20s on OEM). It does seem to have a faster max shutter speed at 1/20796.9s compared to 1/4000 OEM, but I haven't tested that yet. It also doesn't allow you to select a 64MP option, maxing out at 16MP. I'm hoping it still allows for pixel binning, but I can't verify that. In comparison photos, the exposure looks identical, but is more noisy in this app. My guess is it is pixel binning, but isn't applying noise reduction like the OEM app.

I've always said LG had the best camera apps, but this is giving them a run for their money.

It was on sale free when I found it, but looks to be US$5 now.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out in the future when I'm able to get out and see things to take pictures of.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
More grilling action. This time with my new tripod setup to get a much better angle. The first one is playing with slo-mo again.

Tip: If you want to create a video with multiple slo-mo sections like this one, save the original video so it's all in slow motion. Then use the stock app to edit it. You'll get two sections in the timeline to adjust the playback speed. Movie and adjust these to where you want and revert to original speed. If the slow motion is at 1/4x, then you'll have to increase the speed to 4x to get back to normal, and with very minor audio distortion. Save the video, then edit this newly saved video to add up to two more normal sections and save again. There are third party apps that could let you split the timeline and edit all in one shot, but they tend to not read the timeline correctly or have audio distortions.

https://youtu.be/zyIYDVItPug

I also tried out the timelapse function, set to 15x.

https://youtu.be/naLcgrDUmhE

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. The V60 is reduced to only $549 with device payments on Verizon. But, I really want a company that will support its products with timely updates and fixes and I think OnePlus will be hard to beat with this.

Need help deciding between purchasing an LG V60 or a OnePlus 8 on Verizon. I can likely get either phone at for free with promotional offers so don't factor cost in. Not sure about size and weight here - think I'd prefer a smaller phone but the dual screen option is tempting. Like the option of adding memory in the LG which I don't think is an option in the OnePlus. Concerned about compatibility with my Samsung Galaxy Active Smartwatch which I've had trouble with full functionality now with my LG V30. Losing face unlock is a bummer. Does anyone have experience using Android 10 with Android Auto? (I have an aftermarket system: Vline2 in a 2013 car so hoping that will still work?) Would like to make sure compatibility is there also. Read that OnePlus 8 was having issues with 5G on Verizon and that's fine short term for me, but don't want that to still be an issue several months from now. Appreciate input from experts! TIA!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. The V60 is reduced to only $549 with device payments on Verizon. But, I really want a company that will support its products with timely updates and fixes and I think OnePlus will be hard to beat with this.
Couple things:

I think that $549 price is only for new customers/lines. I saw that not long ago, but logged in to my account to test upgrade, and it listed back at full price. I had already bought the phone by then (was only investigating that sale price), and it did give me an unexpected discount on the monthly payments. It wasn't advertised, just automatically applied when I checked out. So just be a bit cautious when checking prices.

When it comes to updates, the carriers control a lot of that. Even if the manufacturer is good about sending them out, Verizon's testing is kind of obnoxious when it comes to approving them for their phones. They are known for being slow on updates across the board, but there have been exceptions. Their version of the V20 got its first update before any other version.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I just bought a new V50 and activated it on Verizon. It came with Android 9. I check each day fo 10 but no go. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The $549 is legitimate, for new service or lines. The price reduction is applied as a credit in 24 monthly payments, which is now a standard in the industry to make sure you stay.

mbbarron

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I had been watching the promos at Verizon on this phone and I finally ordered one for myself at a fantastic deal! The first promo on Verizon listed $400 off (hence the $549) - I don't remember if that was just for new lines. Then they switched to a BOGO offer for about 2 weeks at the beginning of May. Then I think around May 12th Verizon went back to $400 off over 24 months. They also have (I think it's still valid?) an additional stackable trade-in offer where I'm able to get $400 trade-in credit on my LG V30 with new line of service and upgraded unlimited data plan. And since I ported in my number, I'm also eligible for $150 port in credit. So I will be getting this phone for FREE ($950) after all credits (need to keep my new line active for 24 months on Verizon)! I submitted my offer for the Dual Screen to LG which was approved right away so just waiting for it to process and ship to me which others have reported has been pretty quick. I also ordered a Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus. Can't wait until I have all my accessories!

mbbarron

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Verizon already released its first update for the V60! Here's hoping that pace will continue in the future.

cheetah143

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't the Lg V60 benchmarks not posted on phone arena yet? Is it because it's faster than some other phones like Samsung S20? I was just wondering .

cheetah143

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Because I'm looking closely at this phone it will be my next upgrade from the G8 which is also a great phone. That is usually a great site to compare phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe