Should I purchase the N4

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing this phone for my 40th and wondering if its worth parting with my money. Currently have a HTC Wildfire S, so I know there is a size increase, and Android has come on since my version.

Thanks Paul

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
It is quite nice, powerful and well built...and the fact that Google is basically selling it at cost (or even at loss) makes the wallet sleep better at night.

However, it has limited internal storage, no LTE and is glass on both the front and back...so if these issues concern you, you may want to dig a little deeper.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe its the best phone on the market. It's sharp, the colors are warm, the images almost look on the screen rather than under it, it supports miracast so with a TV adapter you can beam content to the TV, its got near field communication so you can use it as a debit card where retailers support it as well as other NFC features.

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The glass both sides is a thing that is worrying me. I would have it in a case, but still fear the worst. It would compliment my Nexus 7 though.

Thanks for the replies.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The glass both sides is a thing that is worrying me. I would have it in a case, but still fear the worst. It would compliment my Nexus 7 though.

Thanks for the replies.

If you like your Nexus 7, I think the 4 would be a natural fit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
40! ? Your life is half over so get the N4. Kidding !I hope not!

It is a perfect compliment to your Nexus7.

I first used the SGP dual which has a screen protectors for the front and back glass to protect from scratches.

I then put an acase super leggera pro which is a two piece case consisting of a soft rubber type silicone and a plastic out case. It is simar to the seidio active case. It was only about $15 on Amazon.

I feel the phone is fairly well protected.

Seriously you will love the phone! 40 is a big deal! Treat yourself!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You obviously are someone who holds on to their phone for quite awhile. For that reason alone... yes. The Nexus 4 will get all future OTA updates first. That alone will keep you current OS wise. As far as specs.. the Nexus 4 will be dated this Summer as the newer, faster and better are released. That's how it is for ALL mobile technology though. But all that newer, better and faster will be a phone that is locked to a carrier and cost almost more on a contract then a Nexus 4. Do it!

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about the glass on the back and the front. A case and screen protector will take care of that. I say go for it!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I say do it also! Don't worry about the phone being glass on all sides. I've owned the last few iPhones that were glass front and back and never broke those. This is the best phone I have ever had! I too have a Nexus 7. The Nexus 4 made want the 7.

Tim Sampson

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had my N4 for 2 weeks. There is only one thing I don't like: voice dialing over bluetooth sucks big time. I depend on voice dialing via BT and the lackluster performance of this feature is almost enough to make me go back to my 2+ year old TMo MyTouch 4G. Otherwise, I love this device.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
40! ? Your life is half over so get the N4. Kidding !I hope not!

It is a perfect compliment to your Nexus7.

I first used the SGP dual which has a screen protectors for the front and back glass to protect from scratches.

I then put an acase super leggera pro which is a two piece case consisting of a soft rubber type silicone and a plastic out case. It is simar to the seidio active case. It was only about $15 on Amazon.

I feel the phone is fairly well protected.

Seriously you will love the phone! 40 is a big deal! Treat yourself!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Bah. Its all about biological immortality by reversing the aging process through genetics. May take 20-50 years but if you live healthy and get lucky then you may live to see it.

We aren't programmed to die any more than a car. The body just becomes so disorganized by damaged DNA that it will eventually cease to function. If you have a car that operates like new and you replace the parts that go bad then there's no reason why it can't last forever with the exception of accidents. Don't drive under any steam rollers. :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Bah. Its all about biological immortality by reversing the aging process through genetics. May take 20-50 years but if you live healthy and get lucky then you may live to see it.

We aren't programmed to die any more than a car. The body just becomes so disorganized by damaged DNA that it will eventually cease to function. If you have a car that operates like new and you replace the parts that go bad then there's no reason why it can't last forever with the exception of accidents. Don't drive under any steam rollers. :)

Interesting! I for one will be satisfied to reach 80 with a good QoL. (Quality of Life). I know some want to be living no matter their condition but not me. Which is why I need to save some $$$ for the long haul but also believe in celebrating milestones in my life such as my 40th and have been blessed enough to be able to do it.

With all the people I see on the road using their phones, good luck staying out of an accident and healthy...it is getting concerning.

Last edited:

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
6410_gall_016.jpg

Do you think a Nexus 4 is the best choice, grandfather?

Yes, Susan my child. Even Davros' phone isn't as amazing as the Nexus 4.

MrCheesecake

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's a huge improvement over my old One X, never mind the Wildfire S!

This was the first Nexus phone since the Nexus One that I have actually wanted to own, Samsung's cheap plastic Nexii were just too cheap fealing for me.

Timely updates, blisteringly fast processor, decent screen, good battery life, camera is as good as you need from a phone (and Photosphere is awesome!)
The only thing that could put you off is the lack of LTE if that's an issue. I regularly get like 10Mb down here in the UK on HSPA, can't see the need for much more than that from my phone if I'm honest.

All in all, yes, get it, I've not had a single regret or frustration with it, which is more than I can say for my previous One X, Sensation and Desire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing this phone for my 40th and wondering if its worth parting with my money. Currently have a HTC Wildfire S, so I know there is a size increase, and Android has come on since my version.

Thanks Paul
Absolutely, unless you use Gmail. Here's a thread in which the Google rep (Paul) admits that they have no fix for this issue and that 3 months hasn't been enough to fix it. It is indeed ironic that a Google phone doesn't work when trying to access Gmail.

Google Groups

Two more discussions of this issue.

Wifi network connectivity issues and a possible fix - xda-developers

Issue 42272 - android - Nexus 4 stops responding to ARP requests when screen is off with wifi on - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I have a thread up here to see if anyone has any info but if all the developers and Google themselves have admitted that they can't fix this problem, I'm probably SOL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty