New Google Now Reminders

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The reminders have been working great for me, such as "Remind me to get the mail when I get home." One thing I haven't figured out though is how to activate it by store name only, rather than a specific store. For example, a couple days ago I was in a neighboring town and I set a reminder to buy something at Walmart. Since a Walmart was close by I went there to get it but the notification never popped up. This morning, 2 days later, I stopped at my local Walmart on the way to work and the notification appeared! Evidently GN set the location to my local Walmart. I wanted the reminder to alert me when I arrived at any Walmart, not just the store close to my house. Is setting location strictly by name theoretically possible? Maybe I'm missing something simple, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited:

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. It simply isn't that smart, and if it was it'd probably kill battery life.

When it sets up the reminder, it searches for location and sets up the geofence. It isn't looking for a Walmart at point, only a location.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
i dont know if its in the new update, or it was before, but i had an appointment two days ago, and suddenly i got a reminder to leave my house at 12:17 so i will get there by 12:30.
in addition there was a google maps link

So far the "you need to leave now" reminders HAVE been working for me. I don't always remember to leave on my GPS so I can't speak to the reliability and functionally of location based reminders.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not directly related, but whenever I casually search for anything with a location in google on my desktop or any computer, google now will instantly tell me how long it takes to get there with maps! Kinda annoying in some regard... but highly useful if ever needed! lol I can say with confidence that at least this feature works with fervor.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not directly related, but whenever I casually search for anything with a location in google on my desktop or any computer, google now will instantly tell me how long it takes to get there with maps! Kinda annoying in some regard... but highly useful if ever needed! lol I can say with confidence that at least this feature works with fervor.

Funny this used to work seamlessly for me and I learned to use it well and rely on it, but lately it hasn't worked; Now does not show any recent Maps searches for me. I suspect it might be since I'm viewing the "preview" version of the new Maps on the computer. Anyone else happen to find the same thing using it?

patil215

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The reminders have been working great for me, such as "Remind me to get the mail when I get home." One thing I haven't figured out though is how to activate it by store name only, rather than a specific store. For example, a couple days ago I was in a neighboring town and I set a reminder to buy something at Walmart. Since a Walmart was close by I went there to get it but the notification never popped up. This morning, 2 days later, I stopped at my local Walmart on the way to work and the notification appeared! Evidently GN set the location to my local Walmart. I wanted the reminder to alert me when I arrived at any Walmart, not just the store close to my house. Is setting location strictly by name theoretically possible? Maybe I'm missing something simple, but I haven't figured it out yet.
I've just created a location based reminders app, and it does just that! It'll remind you at any Walmart in your area if you enable it. The app is called Geobells. You should check it out if you're still interested. Click to view on Play Store

patil215

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
From the screen shots shown in Play, it looks like you chose not to support the LED on the Nexus. Is that true?

I'm assuming by LED you mean the notification light. The app doesn't have specific support for that LED because I only have a Nexus 7 and a smartphone without an LED, so I can't test it. However, it may work with the LED. I don't know because I've never been able to test it. However, it does vibrate, read back reminders (if enabled), pop up reminders (if enabled), and show a notification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys86