[Q] How strict is Google's warranty policy

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently been having problems with my battery the phone basically doesn't even work without being plugged in, so I want to call up Google to get the phone repaired. I've been wondering will Google accept a phone with scratches on the chrome bezel? What if the phone was opened to fix the red led of death? Or if the screen was replaced not by LG? Does Google actually open the phones and check them? What if the chrome bezel was cracked (one of my friends chrome bezel cracked right above the sim card tray on one side due to it being very weak)? I myself don't have all these problems but thought this would help a lot of people who are in doubt. Thanks for everyone who replys

Posted via Android Central App

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently been having problems with my battery the phone basically doesn't even work without being plugged in, so I want to call up Google to get the phone repaired. I've been wondering will Google accept a phone with scratches on the chrome bezel? What if the phone was opened to fix the red led of death? Or if the screen was replaced not by LG? Does Google actually open the phones and check them? What if the chrome bezel was cracked (one of my friends chrome bezel cracked right above the sim card tray on one side due to it being very weak)? I myself don't have all these problems but thought this would help a lot of people who are in doubt. Thanks for everyone who replys

I hate to say it, but you did things that definitely void the warranty. I don't think they would be strict about cosmetic damages, but a new screen will probably be very noticeable to them.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that opening the device will void the warranty. Scratches I'm sure wouldn't cause an issue, a cracked chrome trim piece would probably be iffy.

When I did my RMA, Google gave themselves 2 weeks to inspect the device to make sure that it was actually a defect and not user-caused damage before lifting the hold on the credit card. I don't know how closely they look at it during that time. You could try getting an RMA. Worst-case scenario is that they reject the claim and you end up paying for the new device.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had success with sending in a nexus 4 with not original screen? And if I can't get an RMA can someone suggest a good place to buy high quality batteries maybe even send a link?

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had success with sending in a nexus 4 with not original screen? And if I can't get an RMA can someone suggest a good place to buy high quality batteries maybe even send a link?

It may be the USB port and not the battery. Best thing to do is call around to wireless shops and ask. If you find a place, do a search and make sure they have good ratings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

You or your friend need to take better care of your devices. Anytime you have an issue that's within the warranty period MINUS ***physical damage that was cause by you*** GET a replacement. It's foolish to try and fix something that can be resolved easily by getting a warranty replacement. The second you opened your device you gave up all the benefits that your one year warranty offered you. Take this as a lesson learned and try take better care of your device.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
A replacement from LG for a new screen costs $150 plus you have to send it in and wait like 2 weeks. While if you buy the screen yourself it only costs $100 and you just wait for shipping 2-3 days

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It may be the USB port and not the battery. Best thing to do is call around to wireless shops and ask. If you find a place, do a search and make sure they have good ratings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

My battery seems expanded, that's why I am pretty sure its the battery, it randomly shuts off with 70% left. I also know other people who had this exact problems

Hawkestuh

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
iunujilh.jpg

Would they reject an RMA for a chip/scratch like that?

BronsonCharley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I am not even sure if the small crack line on my Nexus 4 screen is causing the phone not to work. The screen was occasionaly not responsive even before the crack; it was working fine after the crack for few months and now it is almost nonresponsive to touch at all. Moreover, it responds in the area where the crack is and it doesn't respond in other areas.

So, my question is; if google sends me a replacement and preathorizes my card for the new phone; what happens if they decide to void the warranty?
Can I return the new phone, am I going to be fully charged; would they be able to repair it for a fee out of warranty....?

Thanks

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not even sure if the small crack line on my Nexus 4 screen is causing the phone not to work. The screen was occasionaly not responsive even before the crack; it was working fine after the crack for few months and now it is almost nonresponsive to touch at all. Moreover, it responds in the area where the crack is and it doesn't respond in other areas.

So, my question is; if google sends me a replacement and preathorizes my card for the new phone; what happens if they decide to void the warranty?
Can I return the new phone, am I going to be fully charged; would they be able to repair it for a fee out of warranty....?

Thanks

Yes, if they charged you for the new phone you could return it. Be prepared for a long process. I returned my first n4 and it took over a month from the date google received my phone to refund my money.