Overheating from gaming normal?

John Beirne

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
First up just got to say I am loving this phone.
I downloaded dead trigger which is quite graphically intensive. I was playing for about 10 minutes and the game crashed. The back was quite warm. I left it for a bit then played again for longer and nothing happened, apart from the back was quite warm again. Not blazing hot just quite warm. I also have a 2 piece case on. I want to check is this normal? Is there something I can do in the settings maybe to minimize the heat?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine crashes sometimes unless I right swipe kill apps held in memory (chrome mainly), phone has themal protection, it will first throttle (quite heavily) if it's too hot it will shut down.
Unless it's rebooting on it's own I would not worry, stock rom does throttle back quite quick, which is why it doesn't bench as well as expected.
Glass back actually helps dissipate the heat, just watch putting it down on a very cold surface if you dont have a bumper.

John Beirne

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine crashes sometimes unless I right swipe kill apps held in memory (chrome mainly), phone has themal protection, it will first throttle (quite heavily) if it's too hot it will shut down.
Unless it's rebooting on it's own I would not worry, stock rom does throttle back quite quick, which is why it doesn't bench as well as expected.
Glass back actually helps dissipate the heat, just watch putting it down on a very cold surface if you dont have a bumper.

OK. So just to clarify. The recents button on the right I go into and right 'flick' the apps away, especially chrome. That clears up the memory quickly and easily?
Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
you can see them in apps>running>show cached processes.
They are held in ram so they open faster, but when you run something as heavy as a game, Android closes them and fires a load of "can I kill you" commands to all the cached processes.
You dont see it much with 2 gig of ram, but my second phone runs ICS on 512 meg , it's a must do on that phone.

not sure whether I'm supposed to quote from other forums sorry if I'm not.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2144652

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't crash on NFSMW (very rare) but extensive gaming gets hot, glass has a low specific heat capacity which means it heats up very quickly but also cools very quickly so its kinda postive as you know heat is getting out rather than cooking it as such

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress