Nexus 4: Kernels for better battery life

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kernels for better battery life

I'm looking for a kernel to optimize my Nexus 4's battery life, any suggestions and recommendations?

Franco kernel might be worth looking into. Seems to improve standby time by quite a bit :)

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 and use Franco, so definitely would recommend it if you are looking for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Some of the true battery saving kernels like matr1x or faux are laggy or unoptimized. Franco has a great balance between smoothness and battery life. Us he is always thinking of ways to improve and the kernel is on the 203rd version.

If aren't familiar with installing kernels you can download Franco's free app which will let you download the kernel in the app.

It mostly is a set and forget kernel (pre optimized) but you can buy Franco's paid app or use the free trickstermod app to undervolt and adjust clock speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How many extra hours do you guys experience with it?

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of going back to Stock 4.4.2 ROM from CyanogenMod 11 and rooting it. After that flashing the Franco kernal.

Can someone tell me if its possible to get the Expanded desktop mode like CyanogenMod 11 on a rooted 4.4.2 stock ROM?

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of going back to Stock 4.4.2 ROM from CyanogenMod 11 and rooting it. After that flashing the Franco kernal.

Can someone tell me if its possible to get the Expanded desktop mode like CyanogenMod 11 on a rooted 4.4.2 stock ROM?

Search up xposed framework. And use the gravity box module. It is meant to add almost all the customizability from Roms to the stock rooted ROM. It has navbar, status bar, lock screen, quick tiles, pie controls, and yes expanded desktop.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Search up xposed framework. And use the gravity box module. It is meant to add almost all the customizability from Roms to the stock rooted ROM. It has navbar, status bar, lock screen, quick tiles, pie controls, and yes expanded desktop.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

O ya I forgot about xposed framework.

Thanks.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Franco's Kernel is brilliant.

That being said, it really depends what you do to the device that'll end up saving you battery. Underclocking, undervolting, capping the suspend frequency and sleep inducing are all good ways of conserving battery.

Underclocking
This is really just stopping your device at a maximum frequency, also you can limit the number of cores that go online by adjusting the high load threshold (you can do all this from the Franco app). For example if you're viewing a video from local storage you can cap the frequency at 800mhz (and at 2 cores by setting the high load threshold to a high number), instead of letting your N4 run all the way up to 1.5ghz (theoretically it'll draw the amount of processing power it requires but this is just a way to be safe ;) ).

Undervolting
The name says it all; supplying less power to the processor. Manufacturers tend to set higher power inputs to the processor to ensure fluidity, you can change that to improve battery life. I've undervolted my 384mhz to 725mV, and my 1512mhz to 1025mV and it runs fine. The battery life is marginally better.

Capping the Suspend frequency
Setting a maximum processor speed when the screen is off. You can also do this from the Franco app, though setting a low number would result in noticeable delay in receiving push notifications. It works well if you listen to music a lot, or don't really use your phone to stay online all the time. (Mine is set to 594mhz and I receive pushes without a problem)

Sleep Inducing
Paranoid Android (and some other ROMs) allow you to add a "Go To Sleep" button on your Quick Toggles pull-down, this puts the phone directly to deep sleep without the usual winding down period.

Hope this helped!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non