how to use wifi for text+calling when you don't have signal?

Sento

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I always heard you can do this but I cant figure out how or what app to use. I have good service but in my apartment its really bad and when texting or placing a call I literally have to walk all over my room toggling air plane mode to get a bar to just send a text message! but i do have a great wifi connection, so is it possible to use my wifi connection to send texts/calls when I'm in my apartment? I found a few VOIP/wifi texting apps, but they want you to use THEIR number and THEIR APP to do all the texting/calling and I don't want to do that... Any other option?

thanks

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about sms but the Vonage app was easy to set up and use for wifi calls. They were offering free calls for a while but even if the promotion is over I think it's $0.01/min for US domestic calls. So five hours of calls only costs $3.

Sento

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about sms but the Vonage app was easy to set up and use for wifi calls. They were offering free calls for a while but even if the promotion is over I think it's $0.01/min for US domestic calls. So five hours of calls only costs $3.

Try something like mighty text maybe? Look for it on the playstore

ya but does the vonage app let you use your own phone number? if someone calls and you dont have signal but you have wifi, will it ring through vonage app?

mighty text is another SMS service that you have to use a PIn with other people who have the app, right?

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Nope mighty text just let's you send/receive texts on your computer or tablet. I am not sure of the details but it somehow links to your phone number. Find out here http://mightytext.net/

You could do it from your phone via the webpage instead of your SMS app

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just installed this program because the signal at my house sucks too, but it looks like it still sends the texts via your phone. So, it doesn't really use the wifi to send the text, you still have to have a data connection.

Republic Wireless has come up with technology that uses wifi to send texts and make calls and then it uses the Sprint Network when you are off of wifi. And it only has one or two phones that it works on (which you have to purchase from them because of the software). If Sprint had better speeds in my local area, I would consider switching since I'm on wifi a lot of the time.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Who is your cellular provider?

Nearly all apps which send texts over Wi-Fi require that the recipient uses the same app. WhatsApp being an excellent example.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Google voice is really the only way I know of, but there are a lot of cons with that. You'd have to get a google voice number or port your existing number and if you're on a pre-paid service I'm not sure that's possible. Not to mention the MMS limitations with google voice. You could also leave your phone on a windowsill or an area where you know you have service and then use mightytext from your computer/tablet.

Mark Brown20

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
mighty text is not what she needs, it just shunts from phone to PC or PC to phone, you can not send texts etc, unless you have a signal on your phone.

thedogesoft

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I use TextNow. It has free calls and texts to the US and Canada. Although it does have ads, but they aren't blocking you from doing anything. Hope this helps, if not, I do have another app you could try

Bridget Kling

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I always heard you can do this but I cant figure out how or what app to use. I have good service but in my apartment its really bad and when texting or placing a call I literally have to walk all over my room toggling air plane mode to get a bar to just send a text message! but i do have a great wifi connection, so is it possible to use my wifi connection to send texts/calls when I'm in my apartment? I found a few VOIP/wifi texting apps, but they want you to use THEIR number and THEIR APP to do all the texting/calling and I don't want to do that... Any other option?

thanks

I find it irritating on these forums when some say that this can't be done because I know it can. However, I'm extremely frustrated because I don't know how. I had bought a Galaxy s4 used. I was absolutely astounded that I could receive & send texts anywhere in my home since I & everyone else no matter the phone or service provider have to set the phone on the back of the sofa with top pressed to the window to get or send texts. I thought it was just that phone was amazing because I didnt know I was wven using the wifi until it went down for a couple days & i coukdnt yext in the house. (I texted just as I normally would). Then, that phone was destroyed. I bought another Galaxy s4 thinking I'd have the same results. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Here I am looking for answers & read that it can't be done. Sigh.

DicheHertze

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Seems like ppl are looking for an app line Signal. Can do encrypted or non-encrypted calls+txts, while working over Wi-Fi.

Im pretty sure as long as you have a # youre fine. Meaning, if the phone is just an old, unactivated device, youd need a # first. But if its got service, and you want to simply use Wi-Fi only.. Signal should work for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty