Seriously, when is the Nexus 5 coming?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Check that, just more speculation.

that "article" contradicted reports from reliable sources that tonight's event (Sep 24 7pm NYC) had nothing to do with hardware ie Nexus 5. let's hope reliable sources are wrong and we see a Nexus announced tonight but i'm not holding my breath.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a note 3 from the nexus 4 and honestly, I am no longer interested in the nexus 5. The nexus experience is second to none in many ways, but after owning the note 3, I can't say I will miss it much. The awesome camera, the S Pen, and many Samsung bits and pieces fill in the gaps left between that and a pure Android vibe.

Let's face it, the nexus was great in having the latest from Google, but after all the latest changes in how they detach more and more from the Android core, plus the last updates being almost cosmetic, I just don't see that much value in owning a nexus anymore.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you don't see the VALUE in owning a Nexus, you're terribly blind! That's the most obvious part about it. Fortunately, there is much more to it, especially if you're into modding. I could probably still be happy on a Nexus S because of the top notch dev community the Nexus line provides. My GN2 collected dust for the most part for the short time I had it. Used it as a mini tablet, which it is. Hated Touchwiz so much I rooted it and flashed an AOSP. Then I realized it was just a big buggy wanna be N4 and still lagged. No AOSP based roms run as well on non-AOSP (Nexus) devices. Same Rom/kernel, my Gnex was much faster than my GS3 despite the GS3's slight hardware advantage. Even the might 800 has a tough time with Touchwiz. To each their own, but there's still plenty of advantages to owning a Nexus.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well buddy, you're in luck. The FCC docs show it's smaller and lighter than the N4 with a larger screen. Impressive! Also, it has many LTE bands and we know it's at least 16GB from Google's posting on Google Play (if you didn't believe the FCC docs...).

LMFAO at the guy who thinks he can get a Moto X and a N7 for the price of a N5. Your (nice enough) "$99" Moto X is really $600. As they say, it's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it to everyone!

I would hardly call him a fool. First of all many people are on contracts so they are paying the same monthly rate regardless off which phone they use. Some people don't want prepaid service. In the past it's been very unreliable not to mention slowed data speeds from being throttled on behalf of the postpaid users.

For people like me, I like the reliability and convenience of an Att postpaid account so yes Moto X will cost me 99 dollars and the N5 would cost 350. Same monthly charge.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
How is it cheaper? My plan price does not change at the end of 24 months. It has been the same pretty much since my first iPhone 2G, it did not change at all when I scooped up a Galaxy Skyrocket. I am also grandfathered in At&t unlimited. I buy $400 N5 and I will be paying the same monthly plan price if I bought $99 Moto X.
Agreed...Somewhat.

Pre-paid is generally cheaper. For me I get a 24% discount (plus premier discount on phones) through my work. I pay a solid 40 bucks a month on a family plan with 5 lines (shared:700 minutes, unlimited calls to any US cell + unlimited txt; 2GB data for me only)

I got the galaxy s3 2-3 months after it first came out for $50 bucks free shipping + tax on 49.99 price and have been paying 40 bucks a month for almost 2 yrs

VS

Prepaid getting nexus 4 unlocked 350 with best potential t-mobile $30 a month 100 minutres, unlimited (throttled after 2gb) data, unlimited txt.

I could save $240 in 2 years by switching over to pre-paid t-mobile but I like my AT&T service but I would not be able to get an low upfront cost on a phone. [$50(upfront) + 240(extra-cost) = $290] < $350

This of course is special circumstance situation with discounted service and phone through employment

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ya know, I still am not sure about tonights event. We know people at Google like to have fun, maybe they are claiming there is no 4.4 and hardware news just to surprise everybody, this is the same company that "accidentally" put the phone up on their own website.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
How is it cheaper? My plan price does not change at the end of 24 months. It has been the same pretty much since my first iPhone 2G, it did not change at all when I scooped up a Galaxy Skyrocket. I am also grandfathered in At&t unlimited. I buy $400 N5 and I will be paying the same monthly plan price if I bought $99 Moto X.

Probably a US thing then. V
In Europe there are huge differences, like 40 euros a month on a two year plan financing an iPhone or the like, and 8 to 10 euros if you don't. I think there must be similar stuff in the US, though?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I would hardly call him a fool. First of all many people are on contracts so they are paying the same monthly rate regardless off which phone they use. Some people don't want prepaid service. In the past it's been very unreliable not to mention slowed data speeds from being throttled on behalf of the postpaid users.

For people like me, I like the reliability and convenience of an Att postpaid account so yes Moto X will cost me 99 dollars and the N5 would cost 350. Same monthly charge.

Yeah there are certainly good reasons to stick with the post paid providers. Just wanted to make sure the other guy understood the real cost of his phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I will call anyone that thinks their subsidzed phone really costs $99/$199/$299 a FOOL:-* It's calling a spade a spade. A fool and his money will quickly part ways, and the US carriers will gladly be the first to pick your pockets and call it a favor (minus Tmobile as they are very honest about what you're paying for and when). As for your points, they are vaild. If you choose to be on a plan that adds the true cost of the device and then some into the monthly bill, you would be a FOOL to buy a device at full price. However, some folks feel that their grandfathered unlimited data plans are worth doing exactly that. That's a personal choice.

Lastly, if AT&T carried/subsidized the Nexus 5 it would (should) be the same price as other flagships...NOT $350.

Edgar...just note that the $30 Tmobile plan has 100mins, unlimited text and data, HSPA+/LTE to 5GB and then throttled. Not 2GB.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Ya know, I still am not sure about tonights event. We know people at Google like to have fun, maybe they are claiming there is no 4.4 and hardware news just to surprise everybody, this is the same company that "accidentally" put the phone up on their own website.

I'm not totally sure either and will be tuning in.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
yes i have extra anticipation as well because i'm leaving Sprint for AT&T GoPhone. Sprint has been a decent value for me since 2008 but i'm tired of the chains of contracts and CDMA and really can't wait for the freedom of prepaid - no contracts, and BYOD/SIM cards/Nexus. my monthly bill will drop to $60 - and that's just gravy.

I am doing the same, but was thinking of going T-Mo prepaid. When you say AT&T GoPhone do you mean AIO wireless?

Also I wonder how easy it is to port your # from carrier to carrier when you're doing the BYOD strategy and month to month.

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I find it even more strange that it is somewhat like this event isnt happening, Its very hush.

I was thinking that myself, I've been hunting round the tech/Android blogs for links and there's nothing, not even a mention on the Android Central blog homepage. Why? If it was an Apple announcement all the Apple and tech blogs would be hyping it for ages before hand, but for this it almost seems as though it's not happening. And why would Google hold two announcements in ten days to pretty much re-announce the same thing, it doesn't make sense.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking that myself, I've been hunting round the tech/Android blogs for links and there's nothing, not even a mention on the Android Central blog homepage. Why? If it was an Apple announcement all the Apple and tech blogs would be hyping it for ages before hand, but for this it almost seems as though it's not happening. And why would Google hold two announcements in ten days to pretty much re-announce the same thing, it doesn't make sense.

I think its possible that the invitation was not meant to be seen, and when it was they responded by saying not to expect anything. The verge had an video last year they published the day the phone was announced and so maybe Google wants to do something like that tonight and surprise people. Somewhat like what happened with the moto x launch, there was an event and then videos everywhere. Of course this is highly concperacy sounding but companies do things like this.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Also, Iv read this sight for a while and when theres news to report that is allowed to be reported they report it. So the fact that I have not seen anything on here about the event leads me to believe that 1. They are not supposed to talk about it yet. or 2. Its not that big of a deal.
The only thing I saw from these guys was Phil asking people to stop sending in tips sourcing Christian life

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I will call anyone that thinks their subsidzed phone really costs $99/$199/$299 a FOOL:-* It's calling a spade a spade. A fool and his money will quickly part ways, and the US carriers will gladly be the first to pick your pockets and call it a favor (minus Tmobile as they are very honest about what you're paying for and when). As for your points, they are vaild. If you choose to be on a plan that adds the true cost of the device and then some into the monthly bill, you would be a FOOL to buy a device at full price..

On any US carrier BUT T-Mobile, you'll pay the same monthly price regardless of where you got your phone. You're better off paying $99 for a phone than $599 since all other costs will be identical.

Yes, you lose the ability to switch carriers at will, but most people settle on one and stick with them anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am doing the same, but was thinking of going T-Mo prepaid. When you say AT&T GoPhone do you mean AIO wireless?

Also I wonder how easy it is to port your # from carrier to carrier when you're doing the BYOD strategy and month to month.

no - i mean AT&T GoPhone -

AT&T GoPhone
$60 Monthly Unlimited w/Data
$60.00/mo
Plan DetailsPrint
Talk
Unlimited minutes of nationwide calling within the GoPhone coverage map
Text
Unlimited text, picture & video messages within the US
International Text
Unlimited text messages from US to Mexico, Canada and over 100 countries
Data
2 GB of data included. Additional 1GB data package available
1 GB Extra/$10

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T

also - they tell me porting the number is fast and easy. walk into any AT&T store with your Nexus 5 and they'll do it all for you.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, Iv read this sight for a while and when theres news to report that is allowed to be reported they report it. So the fact that I have not seen anything on here about the event leads me to believe that 1. They are not supposed to talk about it yet. or 2. Its not that big of a deal.
The only thing I saw from these guys was Phil asking people to stop sending in tips sourcing Christian life

I can understand why Phil would want that. Earlier I read a article that made it sound like the Nexus 5 would be in fact announced tonight. It's source was a UK site. I went to that site and all they said is Google may surprise us, nothing congrete. No one really knows. I'm still tuning in though. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non