Nexus 5 on Contract with Sprint Showing Upgrade eligible?

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I had money issues and couldn't come up with the full amount for a Nexus 5, I don't change phones often and my old GS2 was dying. So I got the Nexus 5 on contract so I could get it for $50 and get it now. I was in my account to check something and I noticed that my Nexus 5 line is showing eligible for an upgrade. I don't want to mention to anyone at Sprint obviously because I don't want it to go away if it is a mistake in case.

Any one else on contract with Sprint notice this?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had money issues and couldn't come up with the full amount for a Nexus 5, I don't change phones often and my old GS2 was dying. So I got the Nexus 5 on contract so I could get it for $50 and get it now. I was in my account to check something and I noticed that my Nexus 5 line is showing eligible for an upgrade. I don't want to mention to anyone at Sprint obviously because I don't want it to go away if it is a mistake in case.

If you did this recently, their system probably just hasn't updated yet.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had it happen to me personally, but when my sister upgraded to an iPhone 5, her account still showed as upgrade eligible. A friend of mine also had it happen to him when he bought an EVO, and I used his upgrade to get an Epic for myself. I'd say if you give it a few days and it still shows up as upgrade eligible, then you're lucky and the system screwed up and you can upgrade again. Might as well use it right away too and just re-sell the phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wait a few days and see if that changes. I wouldn't go out and get another device and try and use the upgrade, because if you do and get a subsidized upgrade price, you can have big headaches if the issue is caught and you have to return the device and/or fees that may go along with it.

Play it safe and disregard the upgrade eligibility notification. Also, considering asking Sprint about that and see what they have to say. It's better safe than sorry down the road.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In the past, I've seen instances where the upgrade date and stuff was updated almost immediately and others where it took a couple days. Just use a wait and see approach to it for right now.