Can't make phone calls sometimes with Google Nexus 5

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I can't make phone calls on my nexus 5. I'll have maybe like 3-2 bars of signal but when I try to make a call it doesn't even ring. It goes straight from dialing to call ended and gives me the sound like someone on the other line is busy. I did a test and took my sisters phone and put it right in front of me and the call wouldn't go through. But maybe after 3 tries later (sometimes won't even work) I'll get a phone call through. Anyone else having this problem? I noticed it's probably a problem with 4.4.2 because I've never had that problem with the 1st month being on 4.4. I'm on sprint btw, but I mean their not THAT bad. If my sister can make a call on a free sprint phone and running 4.0 then it's got to be a problem with 4.4.2 or my device.

Posted via Android Central App

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I can't make phone calls on my nexus 5. I'll have maybe like 3-2 bars of signal but when I try to make a call it doesn't even ring. It goes straight from dialing to call ended and gives me the sound like someone on the other line is busy. I did a test and took my sisters phone and put it right in front of me and the call wouldn't go through. But maybe after 3 tries later (sometimes won't even work) I'll get a phone call through. Anyone else having this problem? I noticed it's probably a problem with 4.4.2 because I've never had that problem with the 1st month being on 4.4. I'm on sprint btw, but I mean their not THAT bad. If my sister can make a call on a free sprint phone and running 4.0 then it's got to be a problem with 4.4.2 or my device.

I had a similar issue. Sometimes the phone would try to dial out but would end the call like my cheek hit it even when I didn't have it anywhere near my face. It would do this every time I tried to call someone until I rebooted the phone. When I got my replacement phone for different reasons the problem seems to have disappeared. I would call Google and see if they have any idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue. Sometimes the phone would try to dial out but would end the call like my cheek hit it even when I didn't have it anywhere near my face. It would do this every time I tried to call someone until I rebooted the phone. When I got my replacement phone for different reasons the problem seems to have disappeared. I would call Google and see if they have any idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is my exact issue. Did you have 4.4.2 on it?

Develter

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have this issue on my Nexus 5 too. I often can't make/receive phone calls and I can't send/receive text messages, but I do constantly have mobile internet available.
It says 'emergency calls only'.

Is your problem like this as well?

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue on my Nexus 5 too. I often can't make/receive phone calls and I can't send/receive text messages, but I do constantly have mobile internet available.

Nope. Sending messages i have no problem, except the occasional picture message not sending through due to Sprints crappy 4g/3g. Phone calls ONLY will go through if i have a 4G connection. If i don't have a 4G connection the call immediately ends, doesn't even ring. I don't remember this happening back when i had the device on 4.4, so i'm ASSUMING its a 4.4.2 problem.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

If it says emergency calls only, it's not picking up any network connection. Try going into phone settings under networks and change around some settings, see if it picks up any towers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If it says emergency calls only, it's not picking up any network connection. Try going into phone settings under networks and change around some settings, see if it picks up any towers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Shiv Amin

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Hi it seems like i am having the same problem, did u get it fixxed? and if so how? what did you do?

Xtremjeepn

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that mine does the "immediate call ended" action when I try to dial a number with 1 in front of it. For example "1 555-555-5555" or "+1 555-555-5555" will result in an immediate "call ended" while (555) 555-5555 will dial fine.

Many of my imported contacts from years of phone swaps have the "1" or "+1" stored as part of the number. Also most "call" links on websites have the 1 built into the number too. For example, yesterday I Googled a VW Dealer looking for a part. The search results came up with the local dealer and a link to "call" which would immediately get "call ended". After deleting the "1" in front of the number then the call goes through fine.

Digbijay Paul

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello friends! I have moto g kitkat 4.4.4. I phone was working fine, i could make calls and get calls without any issue. Suddenly one day i tried to make a call and the call ended within seconds. I was frustrated, only solution was to restart the phone, but it works for a few minutes and again i see the message call ended. Then I analysed the issue and got it resolved myself. My phone was working fine until my friend had installed google now launcher, i have removed google now launcher, and i am not facing the problem anymore. Hope other friends can also try this.

Tafia

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello friends! I have moto g kitkat 4.4.4. I phone was working fine, i could make calls and get calls without any issue. Suddenly one day i tried to make a call and the call ended within seconds. I was frustrated, only solution was to restart the phone, but it works for a few minutes and again i see the message call ended. Then I analysed the issue and got it resolved myself. My phone was working fine until my friend had installed google now launcher, i have removed google now launcher, and i am not facing the problem anymore. Hope other friends can also try this.

I have the same problem with not being able to make calls 20% of the time with the phone showing call ended. My Moto G has KitKat 4.4.4. but was the same with 4.4.2.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I see the op indicated "Sprint" - are all of the folks who are experiencing this issue, with Sprint? If so, the problem is likely thanks to Sprint's network (vision) upgrade. eCFSB may be causing the issue. Yes, it was supposedly temporary, and yes, most of the towers are supposedly upgraded, but the fact is that the problem is still around.

Try this out. For those on Sprint, switch mobile networks from LTE (recommended) to 3g, and see if you run into this issue. If not, the problem is eCFSB. If the problem is still there, then there is a different issue, and you should call Sprint to see if there is an issue with the tower in your neighborhood.

Again, my suggestion is only for those with Sprint - read the article I linked to, to understand the issue further.