Cannot open videos from Photos app due to "Media not found" error, despite being able to open in?.

Mark1010

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Cannot open videos from Photos app due to "Media not found" error, despite being able to open in?.

Cannot open videos from Photos app due to "Media not found" error, despite being able to open in MX Player manually

When I open the the Photos app and view one of my media folders (containing pictures and videos, jpg and mp4 file types) Photos app shows the pics okay, but not the videos. When I tried to open a video photos app reports on a black screen "Media not found." Furthermore, if I tap the centre of the screen (where the "message media not found" is displayed) the message is replaced by "Can't play video" error message in the centre of the screen. See attached screenshots.

However, I can open the mp4 in MX Player from Android File Browser.

This is really bugging me, please help!

Thanks for any help.

I have a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.2, build KOT49H as of 01 May 2014.

I'm not sure whether this is a generic Android issue or a Nexus 5 specific issue, although I've posted it here anyway.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 20

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot open videos from Photos app due to "Media not found" error, despite being able to open in

I've had this problem happen to me along with the "no SD card found" error trying to open the gallery. I don't know what fixes it, sometimes it just goes away eventually by itself, other times a reboot fixes it.

Posted via Android Central App

Mark1010

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot open videos from Photos app due to "Media not found" error, despite being able to open in

Thanks for your input Pac. I have just restarted my Nexus 5 but the problem remains.

I'm open to any other ideas from anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Can you access the video using the stock Gallery app (not Photos)?

Try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Google+, and tapping Clear Cache and Data. Then open Photos again, let the database repopulate, and see if it works now.

The other thing to try is a cache partition wipe, which won't erase any personal data: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Mark1010

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks B. Diddy for your very helpful input.

Try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Google+, and tapping Clear Cache and Data. Then open Photos again, let the database repopulate, and see if it works now.

The problem remains after doing this. It seems that this is a defect in the Photos app, that is the Photos app is not able to recognise movie files as expected, at least not my mp4 files.

However, thank you, thank you!! The Gallery app provides a similar interface to the Photos app and can play the movies (or rather it recognises them as movie files and then opens them in MX Player). I did not notice the Gallery app even existed as I tended to access my Photos by swiping left from the Camera app. I wonder why there are two stock Android apps that's both function with such similarity.

Anyway, thank you again.

Best
Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you found a solution! The Gallery app has been around forever, while the Photos app (part of Google+) was recently introduced. They do very similar things, but Photos has a few more editing functions, I think, and is fully integrated with Google+. Many believe that Google will eventually phase out the Gallery app, but presumably they'll fix all the bugs in Photos first.

I would encourage you to let Google know about your issue by opening Photos, tapping Menu, then Feedback.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Mark1010

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Okay I have just sent the issue to Google via the Photos app . Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

INDroid 64

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site

Looks like we all have either disabled or deleted the 'Media Storage' app. Try to enable that in setting>apps>disabled (or it'll be down in 'all' section) or install it if you finger a way to install it back if you have deleted it.