LTE or WiFi longer battery life?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Since T-Mobile offers unlimited streaming for many of the music services like Slacker, DI, Sky.fm that I subscribe to I wonder streaming them on LTE if it uses less battery life than streaming them on WiFi on 5 Ghz?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That will likely depend on the signal strength. But from my experience, WiFi seems to use less battery. YMMV

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I get 2 to 3 bars on WiFi in another room and on LTE I get 1 to 2 bars.

While Android has improved the signal strength indicator considerably since 4.4.3 onwards, I still think you shouldn't trust it entirely for this purpose.
I'd look at the actual RSRP (in dBm) measurement. On Sprint, I can dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* on the Nexus 5 dialer and look at the LTE engineering section to find out the exact LTE signal strength. RSRP levels for usable signal typically range from about -75 dBm close in to an LTE cell site to -120 dBm at the edge of LTE coverage.
I think this same check will work on T-mo as well.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A strong WiFi signal sips charge. If the WiFi radio can turn down the power and maintain its connection, it'll have little to no impact on your battery..... conversely, a bad Wifi link will devour your battery. And while the same still holds true with LTE, it'll still use up a charge quicker than a good WiFi link, no matter how strong it is.

But a good T-M LTE link is like a direct pipe into the internet backbone..... dat speed!. I never get a really good LTE link at my house, but if I did, I would consider dropping off my home WiFi and sticking to LTE... damn the battery hit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non