Do I need Google Voice on my Nexus 5 for making internet calls?

Robby Kelley

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Voice on Nexus 5 for internet calls

I'm an android super n00b, I have a t-mobile nexus 5. I've got pretty spotty coverage at my house and I'm trying to figure out how to make and receive calls through wifi using google voice. I signed up for google voice lite and activated it on my phone. Do I need to set up an account under internet calling also? Or am I all set? Will regular calls go to my phone on wifi now using google voice or am I completely confused on how all of this works? Sorry for being n00by.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Voice on Nexus 5 for internet calls

Not exactly. The Nexus 5 doesn't support T-Mo's WiFi calling. (it "may" happen sometime next year - Nexus 6 is scheduled to get an OTA update next year that will permit WiFi calling on T-Mo, but no comments about whether Nexus 5 will get it).

In the meantime, you have another option - you can get a Google Voice number, and use Google Hangouts (and the associated dialer) to make an receive calls over WiFi (or data). The problem however is that your Google Voice number will be different than your regular T-Mo number.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

^ unless you pay to copy your # to voice
Not exactly copy - it is more a "move" - and if you do that, you need a different number assigned to your T-Mo service because as far as T-Mo will know, "you ported out your number to another service provider", and you no longer have service with T-Mo.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Just install the Google Hangouts Dialer app, it will allow you to make calls through WiFi or cell's data, but it will use your Google Voice number. When in Hangouts app, go in Settings and enable "incoming calls", but people will have to dial your Google Voice number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty