Can't send Yahoo emails when connected to Staright Talk network

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am on Nexus 5, Android 5.1, on Straight Talk. I have had this problem for about a year now and initially I thought it was something with yahoo, but I am very certain now that this is a Straight Talk issue. I have looked through several solutions on various forums online, but nothing has worked so far. I use the GMail app to connect to gmail, hotmail and yahoo email accounts.

1. All email accounts work perfectly over WiFi.
2. Yahoo outbound email DOES NOT work over cellular data. It works over Wifi.
3. When on cellular data, I get an error from GMail app when sending yahoo emails: Couldn't sign in, username or password is incorrect.
4. I have tried different apps - BlueMail, K-9, Yahoo email, none of them work...they have give the same error. The only app that allows me to send yahoo email on cellular network is MyMail, but it doesn't show me the connection settings for yahoo, that I can use in GMail app.

In the GMail app, these are my settings:
Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security: SSL/TLS
Require Sign in - checked.
Username and password is provided and is correct, since it works over WiFi.

The fact that yahoo works on WiFi and not on Straight Talk network, indicates that it is a Straight Talk problem.

Just as a reference for those who understand the technicalities: I have run trace route, ping, SSL scan etc on "android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" over Straight Talk network from my phone, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Try this:

Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465 or 587
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info:
Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com)
Password - Your account's password

If this doesn't work either it's probably time to talk to Straight Talk.
Whose network are you using?

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Try this:

Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465 or 587
Requires SSL - Yes

Your login info:
Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com)
Password - Your account's password

If this doesn't work either it's probably time to talk to Straight Talk.
Whose network are you using?

That didn't work either :( I am using AT&T network with the ST sim.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see is you may want to try a different smtp server. The only thing different then what you have now is the server name you have "Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" I would try "Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com" dropping the android. to see what that does for you. Let me know one way or the other.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires TLS - Yes (if available)
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Too bad the different server name and port didn't help. Since you're getting a sign-in error instead of server could not be contacted, a positive ping result is expected. Your problem is not the connection, it's getting Gmail to play nice with the Yahoo server, to speak to it in a lingo it understands.

It's probable that Gmail and most apps you tried are sending instructions the Yahoo server can't decipher, or that somehow trigger a DNS problem.

I would try messing with security settings - with/without SSL, with/without authentication, etc. I've gotten lucky before doing that.

You might also try AquaMail. It should successfully setup Yahoo and you can see the settings it uses.

Last edited:

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I see is you may want to try a different smtp server. The only thing different then what you have now is the server name you have "Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" I would try "Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com" dropping the android. to see what that does for you. Let me know one way or the other.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires TLS - Yes (if available)
  • Requires authentication - Yes
Thanks, but that didn't work :(

Too bad the different server name and port didn't help. Since you're getting a sign-in error instead of server could not be contacted, a positive ping result is expected. Your problem is not the connection, it's getting Gmail to play nice with the Yahoo server, to speak to it in a lingo it understands.

It's probable that Gmail and most apps you tried are sending instructions the Yahoo server can't decipher, or that somehow trigger a DNS problem.

I would try messing with security settings - with/without SSL, with/without authentication, etc. I've gotten lucky before doing that.

You might also try AquaMail. It should successfully setup Yahoo and you can see the settings it uses.
I tried Aqua Mail just now, with default settings, it shows an error: Authentication Error 535 5.7.0 (#AUTH401) Incorrect username or password.
When I try manually setting it up with smtp.mail.yahoo.com, I get the above error with port 465. When I use port 587, I get "Handshake failed".
I also tried all possible combinations of STARTTLS, SSL, no SSL, and ports (465 and 587)....no luck!

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree with Crashdamage complete, that is why I wanted you to try a different server. Seems like Crashdamage keeps beating to the punch, must be because I am old and type sloooow two fingers on each hand.:(

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I would have to agree with Crashdamage complete, that is why I wanted you to try a different server. Seems like Crashdamage keeps beating to the punch, must be because I am old and type sloooow two fingers on each hand.:(

I am a software engineer and I understand network protocols very well. However, what I don't understand is that why the hell it works perfectly over Wifi and not over cellular data. If the problem is with the app not talking to yahoo servers correctly, then that should happen every time, irrespective of wifi or cellular. Any thoughts guys?

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Seem like you may have to go beat on Straight Talks door and find out what they are doing or not doing that is keeping your sign-in from getting to Yahoo unmolested.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 running Android 5.1, however I do not have Straight Talk, or I would create a Yahoo account and test. It has to be something Straight Talk cellular network. Maybe they have Yahoo black listed. Keep us informed on what you try or how it get resolved.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I should have thought of this earlier, since you have a Nexus/Android you surely have a Gmail account, correct? Why not just use your Gmail SMPT settings as your settings for your Yahoo SMTP account setting. That should work I have a Gmail account and three other accounts and use the SMTP setting for Google for those accounts. Now before you ask why I do this is because I have a laptop and a few other devices an I travel in a RV and every night I am connecting to a different Wi-Fi AP. This keep me from getting a error from the local ISP about not having a account.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I should have thought of this earlier, since you have a Nexus/Android you surely have a Gmail account, correct? Why not just use your Gmail SMPT settings as your settings for your Yahoo SMTP account setting. That should work I have a Gmail account and three other accounts and use the SMTP setting for Google for those accounts. Now before you ask why I do this is because I have a laptop and a few other devices an I travel in a RV and every night I am connecting to a different Wi-Fi AP. This keep me from getting a error from the local ISP about not having a account.

Agreed with DLK1. Just use Google's SMTP server, simplify and be done with it.

It is a good idea, but the inherent problem with that is the outbound email with have my gmail address as the "From" address (I just tested this). I use my email accounts for different purposes and prefer to maintain segregation between them.
I also download the Yahoo Mail app and it works perfectly over cellular data. This makes me believe that the issue is a combination of Straight Talk and 3rd party email apps.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It is a good idea, but the inherent problem with that is the outbound email with have my gmail address as the "From" address (I just tested this). I use my email accounts for different purposes and prefer to maintain segregation between them.
I also download the Yahoo Mail app and it works perfectly over cellular data. This makes me believe that the issue is a combination of Straight Talk and 3rd party email apps.

I have never had the reason to use it but if I remember there is a option to set the reply to to a different address like name@yahoo.com. If you do this will it still show the Gmail.com address, I do not know. You may want to test this. If that does not work then I still think you are going to have to beat down the door of Straight Talk. Keep in touch!