Google Nexus 6 Water Resistance

n-strike

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
So I heard the Nexus 6 will be water-resistant like the Moto X 2014, and that the Moto X is not meant to be submerged or anything of that nature. I was wondering if a shower would be too much for the phone.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Water Resistance

There's a youtube video of someone submerging a Moto X for about 20 seconds, if I remember correctly, and it does just fine. They tried it for longer, with some shaking under water, and it wasn't so fine.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It have nano coating water resistant, it should be fine if you get caught in the rain or splashes, but it's not meant to be submerged in water, once water gets inside the phone then there will be issues. Also salt water will be a bigger issue.

See this video and click on the 9:13minute mark:
Moto X (2nd gen): Dunk Test and Review - YouTube

She also tested the Moto G which last in water for 30min, so I think it's down to luck also.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Just natural instinct to keep electronic devices away from water as best possible........ Even the S5 commercials where the guy is brushing his teeth and he just kind of runs it under the faucet for a second or two to rinse it off.... Yeah.. NO!!!!

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Ah, yes. I would probably say it's the Moto X because it's water resistance is an advertised feature and also because the Nexus 6 is prominently displayed at 27 seconds in.

But, you never quite know.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Ah, yes. I would probably say it's the Moto X because it's water resistance is an advertised feature and also because the Nexus 6 is prominently displayed at 27 seconds in.

But, you never quite know.

The water resistance is on the specs on motorola website for nexus 6 ....so why cant this be nexus 6 in the water ?

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

The water resistance is on the specs on motorola website for nexus 6 ....so why cant this be nexus 6 in the water ?
There's no reason why it couldn't be. However, if I was in charge of marketing a commercial for my product and I wanted to differentiate between a product that's water resistance is common knowledge (Moto X) from one whose biggest selling points are being a Nexus and a giant screen (Nexus 6), I would've simply flipped the phone around in the tank so the 'Nexus' logo is there for all to see.

Notice the way the Nexus 6 followed the list of phones, as if to save the best for last? And the way it spun like centerpiece attraction while the camera pulled away from such a large screen? That is fantastic marketing, especially in choosing the white model which, as Apple would love to tell you, implies elegance, clean lines and a futuristic appeal (however true it may or may not be). It speaks to their knowledge that they want you to notice the Nexus 6.

But then again, maybe they're simply bringing attention to Motorola's general water resistance? Or perhaps it's even Google trolling everyone since it WAS codenamed Shamu, after all...

...splash?

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

That's the thing its not a Motorola commercial ....it's a Google commercial i don't see them using a Motorola x to do that .... now if they were marketing the gpe devices i could see it but that was not the case ....

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

True, but Motorola is part of Google's greater Android portfolio, so any marketable feature they have is part of the overall Android empire as a result. So, realistically, it could be either one.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Motorola has been doing the bank coating since the droid RAZR days. It's how they manufacture phones now. I would expect it on the nexus