Google's MVNO only to work with the Nexus 6 - Project Fi.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google's MVNO only to work with the Nexus 6.

I'd be willing to leave sprint to try this. Been off contract since April of last year.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Don't do that.
They will be using Sprint's and T-Mo's cell networks. :)

Mav. :cool:

It all depends on the price, and how they set this up. I'm up in the northeast and I have great sprint coverage usually around 25-40mb down on LTE. I can't complain, since I remember sprint from years ago, and that was horrendous.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

it was a good idea while it lasted...want to be able to use any device I want...

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

it was a good idea while it lasted...want to be able to use any device I want...

I think I saw an article on pocketnow that said the nexus 6 only thing was just in the beginning and it would eventually include other devices.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I'm looking forward to this announcement, rumored to be today.

Powarun

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

LOL at the Nexus 6 being the phone available on the most carriers.

On a serious note, I want to say this is a good move to start with, a lot less variables to troubleshoot, and I could see Apple pulling the same stunt in a few years.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate that Google is trying something new, multi-carrier support on one plan/Sim, but I can't see myself switching to this based on the price.

AT&T and Verizon have both recently offered four line plans that cost $160 including unlimited calling/texting and 15GB of shared data.

This would be 4 lines with 2 GB of data each for $160.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also trying it (on T-Mobile prepaid atm), assuming Google extends me an invite.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For people who aren't heavy data users, this could be an amazing thing. For those of us who do use network data extensively... not so much.

The availability of unlimited data programs is tough to beat, and I can understand where Google doesn't want to go there (at least initially). As it stands, I'm paying $35 after taxes for unlimited talk/text/4g w/ 3GB 4g hotspot (T-mobile loyalty discounts for long-time customers rock!), so the value proposition just isn't there w/ Google as a direct line replacement (especially when I average 12-20GB/month of mobile network data).

That said... it's still something I'd consider as a swap-out SIM supplement for travel, though, as stacking Sprint's network availability on top of that of T-Mobile would cover a lot of dead stretches of road (and vice-versa for Sprint users). With no contract, if there's no activation fee associated it would be great peace-of-mind to have it as a failsafe for areas where T-Mo's network might be absent or spotty (not that I've personally found many spots that fit that description).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles