Sideloading OTA on Mac question

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have downloaded the OTA to my Mac as well as SDK. I made a new folder named Google and put it on my desktop. What needs to be in the Google folder besides the lollipop zip? I then will CD in terminal to the Google folder and. ./adb sideload lollipop.zip. I am just unsure of what exactly needs to be extracted from the sdk into the Google folder I created. New to this, so any help greatly appreciated.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have downloaded the OTA to my Mac as well as SDK. I made a new folder named Google and put it on my desktop. What needs to be in the Google folder besides the lollipop zip? I then will CD in terminal to the Google folder and. ./adb sideload lollipop.zip. I am just unsure of what exactly needs to be extracted from the sdk into the Google folder I created. New to this, so any help greatly appreciated.

Google no longer bundles the needed tools within the standard SDK download. You will need to use the SDK Manager to install the remaining components.

Adding SDK Packages | Android Developers

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes I downloaded all of that. Sorry, I don't know the proper terms yet, ha. So can I put things from there into the created "google" folder too?

No problem. However, if you are unsure of the process or feel uncomfortable, I highly recommend not messing with the structure too much at all. My recommendation for you is to not move any of the SDK files out of their installed/unzipped locations. Just run it from there. You can CD into those directories just as easily. Here is a handy guide from AC that should help.

How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No problem. However, if you are unsure of the process or feel uncomfortable, I highly recommend not messing with the structure too much at all. My recommendation for you is to not move any of the SDK files out of their installed/unzipped locations. Just run it from there. You can CD into those directories just as easily. Here is a handy guide from AC that should help.

How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

Thank you. I'm trying to do this without unlocking bootloader as to not lose anything. I know it can be done. Can I follow those steps without the bootloader being unlocked?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I'm trying to do this without unlocking bootloader as to not lose anything. I know it can be done. Can I follow those steps without the bootloader being unlocked?

Yes. You only need to unlock your bootloader if you are flashing a factory image. If your device has remained completely stock and you are looking to just sideload the OTA, you do not need to unlock your bootloader. Below is a summary of the steps. But it's user beware. I can't be held responsible if anything messes up. :)

1. Download and install Android SDK.
2. Download and install the add-ons from the SDK Manager which installs things like platform-tools.
3. Enable developer options on your Nexus 6 and enable USB Debugging.
4. Connect your Nexus 6 to your Mac via USB.
5. Open terminal and navigate to the platform-tools folder within the SDK's directory.
6. Run ./adb devices and check whether your device is showing up. You may need to authorize your device within the popup on your Nexus 6.
7. If it showed up, run ./adb reboot bootloader. This will boot your device into the bootloader.
8. Use the arrow keys to select Recovery Mode and hit the power button to confirm.
9. After you see the Android on screen with a red exclamation point, hold the power button and hit the volume up button. This should bring you into Recovery Mode. You'll see yellow text at the bottom of your screen.
10. At this point, your Mac may not see the device anymore. So just in case, unplug your USB cable and plug it right back in.
11. If you downloaded the OTA ZIP into your platform-tools folder, use ./adb sideload "name of ZIP file" to push the ZIP to your device and install. If you downloaded the OTA ZIP somewhere else, either move it to platform-tools and use the previously mentioned command or use ./adb sideload "full path of ZIP file" to push the ZIP to your device and install.
12. After completion, you should be given the option to reboot your device. After rebooting, verify that the OTA installed through the Status screen in your settings. Assuming the correct version is reported, you should be all set.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes. You only need to unlock your bootloader if you are flashing a factory image. If your device has remained completely stock and you are looking to just sideload the OTA, you do not need to unlock your bootloader. Below is a summary of the steps. But it's user beware. I can't be held responsible if anything messes up. :)

1. Download and install Android SDK.
2. Download and install the add-ons from the SDK Manager which installs things like platform-tools.
3. Enable developer options on your Nexus 6 and enable USB Debugging.
4. Connect your Nexus 6 to your Mac via USB.
5. Open terminal and navigate to the platform-tools folder within the SDK's directory.
6. Run ./adb devices and check whether your device is showing up. You may need to authorize your device within the popup on your Nexus 6.
7. If it showed up, run ./adb reboot bootloader. This will boot your device into the bootloader.
8. Use the arrow keys to select Recovery Mode and hit the power button to confirm.
9. After you see the Android on screen with a red exclamation point, hold the power button and hit the volume up button. This should bring you into Recovery Mode. You'll see yellow text at the bottom of your screen.
10. At this point, your Mac may not see the device anymore. So just in case, unplug your USB cable and plug it right back in.
11. If you downloaded the OTA ZIP into your platform-tools folder, use ./adb sideload "name of ZIP file" to push the ZIP to your device and install. If you downloaded the OTA ZIP somewhere else, either move it to platform-tools and use the previously mentioned command or use ./adb sideload "full path of ZIP file" to push the ZIP to your device and install.
12. After completion, you should be given the option to reboot your device. After rebooting, verify that the OTA installed through the Status screen in your settings. Assuming the correct version is reported, you should be all set.

Thank you very very very much! Lifesaver!

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
When I get to the point of installing the zip, it tells me the device is not found. Am I doing something wrong? I unplugged and plugged back in as you said.

I've seen that happen on a Mac to people when their SDK (specifically, the tools such as ADB) weren't up to date. Hasn't happened to me personally. Did you install the SDK as part of this attempt or did you have it installed already for a while from a previous use?

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that happen on a Mac to people when their SDK (specifically, the tools such as ADB) weren't up to date. Hasn't happened to me personally. Did you install the SDK as part of this attempt or did you have it installed already for a while from a previous use?

I just installed it last night. Says it's most current and had all the correct API specific things.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure then. Maybe try another USB cable and double-check that you have all needed SDK components installed. Sorry.

When I do it it tries to load and then says E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, I erased the original OTA download that I did last night and downloaded it again and didn't rename the file, rather just dropping the entire zip in to the platform-tools folder. Tried it again, and I am currently watching the device upgrade. Thank you very much again for all the help today. Next time I feel much better about doing this.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
OK, I erased the original OTA download that I did last night and downloaded it again and didn't rename the file, rather just dropping the entire zip in to the platform-tools folder. Tried it again, and I am currently watching the device upgrade. Thank you very much again for all the help today. Next time I feel much better about doing this.

Oh, I didn't realize that you had renamed the ZIP after you downloaded it. That'll cause a problem. :) Glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy 5.1!

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I didn't realize that you had renamed the ZIP after you downloaded it. That'll cause a problem. :) Glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy 5.1!

Hey man, since you were such a huge help last time, I figured I would ask you if there was a way for me to now get 5.1.0 (LMY47E) on my phone now, so I will then be able to have 5.1.0 (LMY47M) pushed by OTA update by T-Mobile to my phone? I have not unlocked my bootloader nor am I rooted. People talk about flashing the factory image, but that wipes the device, and I never unlocked the bootloader so I won't be able to back my phone up, and I would rather not start from scratch. Is there a way to do this, or am I up the creek without a paddle? Thanks in advance.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If an OTA doesn't pop up, just push the LMY47M like you did before. I don't see why that shouldn't work.

I don't think I can. I'm pretty sure when OTA builds are released they are for a certain build to a certain build. I don't think their is a OTA that is compatible for LMY47D to LMY47M. T-Mobile will have an OTA push for LMY47E to LMY47M though. If that makes sense. I can't use Wugfresh because I'm on a Mac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa