Sideloading question.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that you could only sideload if their is an update available that has an OTA build that is build to build specific? Like supposedly there will be a E to M specific OTA release build, so you will be able to, but someone like me who has D will not be able to unless there is actually a D to M specific OTA release. Am I correct?

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No any one of these from Google you can slam on your phone. But it totally wipes your phone. But no you don't have to be on a particular version or anything you can go anyway you want.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#shamu

Sent from my Google N6 on VZ

I should have been more specific. I meant without wiping. I never unlocked bootloader, so I can't make a backup. I use a Mac, so I can't use wugfresh. So unless the OTA specific D to M zip is released, I won't be able to get it. Correct?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
How did you get "D"? via OTA? If so, you'll get the next OTA without any issues. (note that the "M" version may be specific to T-Mo - not sure what El Goog is doing with carrier specific versions this time - "E" for Verizon, "M" for T-Mo, etc)

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
How did you get "D"? via OTA? If so, you'll get the next OTA without any issues. (note that the "M" version may be specific to T-Mo - not sure what El Goog is doing with carrier specific versions this time - "E" for Verizon, "M" for T-Mo, etc)
Please stop repeating that there is no specific versions of it for a carrier. If it is on the Google Nexus site you can load it.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Please stop repeating that there is no specific versions of it for a carrier. If it is on the Google Nexus site you can load it.

You are partially right - If it is on the factory images site, yes, you can install it, and your phone shouldn't get bricked, and it should work.
But the "E" version, for whatever reason, is not being pushed out to any non-verizon devices (if you have proof of that not being true, please share the source). T-Mo devices for example will get the "M" version (according to T-Mo).

Yes, this is uncommon for Google - but so far, it seems to be the case for the N6.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I am running E on VZ right now. There is no reason for Verizon to push it out OTA because they don't deem the changes and it necessary for their user base. But what version of Android you're on has no bearing on how your phone works that has to do with the modem/radio some people have pushed the "T Mobile" M build to their phones but that doesn't mean they stop working on Verizon.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am running E on VZ right now. There is no reason for Verizon to push it out OTA because they don't deem the changes and it necessary for their user base. But what version of Android you're on has no bearing on how your phone works that has to do with the modem/radio some people have pushed the "T Mobile" M build to their phones but that doesn't mean they stop working on Verizon.

Again, "If it is on the factory images site, yes, you can install it, and your phone shouldn't get bricked, and it should work."
The radio included in the E version is different than the one in the D and M versions. While it doesn't mean they will stop working on Verizon, performance may vary. For example, when I installed the 5.1 D version on my device (over the 5.0.1), my cellular signal strength improved significantly - from about -105dBm to about -95dBm at the same location. I tried flashing the "E" version, and signal strength dropped back to about -105dBm, so I switched back to the 'D' version.

Did my phone stop working with the "E" version? No. But performance did suffer. That's all I'm saying/implying. Radio software is bundled with the OS build (though it can be flashed independently). Since op had asked about OTA sideloading, flashing a radio image is likely out of scope.

I do expect Google to merge these "branches" into one with the next OS release, and just have one build for all carriers, as they used to for Nexus devices.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. But I know on version E they made small changes to the camera and I really feel like it is taking pictures better in lower light than it did on D.

Now you have me thinking about reverting the radio but I've been screwing with my phone so much I need to just leave it alone for 2 days. I currently don't have any reception issues but who doesn't want better? thanks for the clarification

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Something to think about from another site
One thing that needs to be understood about "builds"... the radio is not part of the build. The radio is independent of the Android build. This is *WHY* you have a separate field in "about phone" for the radio and the build number. It is also why some *later builds* are being shipped with *earlier radio*. Most likely, the radio that ships with the "E" build either has some kind of compromise in it, or hasn't been adequately tested for distribution to everyone.

Also note that there is a distinction between the radio FIRMWARE, and the radio LIBRARIES. The radio libraries are part of the build. The radio firmware is separate from the build.

Whatever changes were made to the radio *libraries* for build E are most likely present in I and M as well. In fact, I and M could have radio libraries that are *even more* advanced than E.

For those saying that they get better signal on E than on D... this *could* be related to the radio firmware, or it also could be related to the radio LIBRARIES. It is also possible that use of the E firmware on D, I, or M could lead to inaccuracies in the values reported for the signal meter. In other words, it could *look* like a better signal, yet be exactly the same.

My first guess about the purpose of the different radio that ships with the "E" build, is that it has something to do with verizon's brand of volte. There was probably some weird glitch in the older radio build that demanded a quick fix.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. But I know on version E they made small changes to the camera and I really feel like it is taking pictures better in lower light than it did on D.

Now you have me thinking about reverting the radio but I've been screwing with my phone so much I need to just leave it alone for 2 days. I currently don't have any reception issues but who doesn't want better? thanks for the clarification

I'm with you - I was thinking about getting to the "M" version by downgrading to 5.0.1 to apply OTA, but am just going to just stick with the "D" version for now. It is working fine for now. :) When the factory images for "M" are ready, I'll apply it.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
There is an unverified rumor that Google is working on one,unified, release 5.1.1 all these images are just short term

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
There is an unverified rumor that Google is working on one,unified, release 5.1.1 all these images are just short term

I've heard that as well. The next maintenance release should unify everyone's device

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk