Android 5.1.1 update failures

Did the 5.1.1 OTA update apply correctly?

• Total voters

yurtesen

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a stock nexus 6 which is not rooted or tweaked. It only has standard programs such as Facebook, k9 mail etc. installed. Yet it gives an error while trying to update to 5.1.1 from 5.1.

I tried to wipe cache partition and it doesn't help. Interestingly the update notification's 'Later' button doesn't work even. I guess the button doesn't work simply because Google doesn't want us to skip the update and it is just there for making an impression that they give us an option to choose. Anyway...

I don't really want to factory reset just to apply an update. But also there doesn't seem to be any solutions to this. I would be happy to hear a simple solution which applies the update without damaging user data.

In my case, the update downloads a 100mb file and restarts but half way through it shows a broken android image with Error text next to it.

Meanwhile, I am wondering how many of the users experienced same problem. Please participate in the pool.

Thanks,

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Thankfully, I have not experienced any of the problems that you have mentioned.

It sounds to me, however, that you will have no other choice, but to do a factory reset.

yurtesen

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I found a thread on XDA where somebody said factory reset did not help either. (Apparently I can't post links and Tapatalk ate my reply also heh) I just bought the phone few months ago. It is silly that update does not apply, especially considering that phone was not modded in any way.;

I really would like to see if there is any details or log about the update which shows exactly what is the problem. Is it possible? Because maybe that can reveal a simple solution. It is silly that all I see is a robot icon with an text 'Error'

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I was able to upgrade mine to 5.1.1, but because I'm on AT&T, I had to back everything up, do a hard reset after removing the Sim, then get it up and running, download the OTA update, restore everything back and put the sim back in.

Posted from my Nexus 6 Android Central app

yurtesen

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I was able to upgrade mine to 5.1.1, but because I'm on AT&T, I had to back everything up, do a hard reset after removing the Sim, then get it up and running, download the OTA update, restore everything back and put the sim back in.

I was wondering how many people managed to install ota without doing a factory reset. How did you backup everything and put them back?

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus from Play Store, immediately got 5.0.1, 5.1, and the 5.1.1. All updated without issues.

However, once all the updates were applied, I did the device factory reset. Mostly to start from scratch so i have no issues with 5.1.1

I signed up with Project Fi, device running flawless and silky smooth.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I found a thread on XDA where somebody said factory reset did not help either.
I really would like to see if there is any details or log about the update which shows exactly what is the problem. Is it possible? Because maybe that can reveal a simple solution. It is silly that all I see is a robot icon with an text 'Error'

You mention an XDA thread, but have you read through this Google Products thread?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Yu5K6qUPNBY;context-place=forum/nexus

It may be helpful. The only problem I had with updating involved learning how to use Nexus Root Toolkit on a Windows 8 machine. Otherwise all is fine with T-Mobile.

By the way, you haven't mentioned who your carrier is or which build number you're trying to update from.

yurtesen

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
You mention an XDA thread, but have you read through this Google Products thread?

It may be helpful. The only problem I had with updating involved learning how to use Nexus Root Toolkit on a Windows 8 machine. Otherwise all is fine with T-Mobile.

By the way, you haven't mentioned who your carrier is or which build number you're trying to update from.

It is exactly the same build from your link LMY47D. I have exactly the same error as many described there. I sure can use the root tools but what is the point of having OTA updates if we have to manually install updates. It looks like google screwed up bad. They should fire the guy who makes the update images

My phone is not carrier locked. I bought it straight from the shop. It receives normal updates for non carrier phones.

Also I am getting 'com.qualcomm.timeservice has stopped'*error at every boot since I bought the phone and first booted. Apparently some people in that thread are getting it also. I am not sure if it is relevant.

Apparently the solution is to take the phone for warranty service. I didn't do factory reset but in that thread everybody says it doesn't resolve the issue. In either case factory reset would not change /system files so that is probably why it doesn't help

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded 5.1.1, got tired of waiting and figured I'm already off the official Verizon update cycle since I sideloaded 5.1 too. Once I got adb to recognize my phone in recovery the update went super smooth.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I did that to get 5.1...
You reset after removing Sim card? Put Sim card back after everything has been recovered and running 5.1.1? I could find article in phonearena for the 5.1 to use a reference.....

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I just loaded 5.1.1 Z image using the wugfreah toolkit last night, using att Sim. After I had a little user error I figured out how to use his toolkit and everything went smooth. Everything seems to be running just the way it was

Posted via Nexus 6

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Both mine and my girlfriend's Nexus 6 upgraded without any issues. Android 'M' + new battery in Nov. / Dec. ?

I'd be happy w/my Nexus 6 until summer/fall 2016. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11