Google Play I want the shipping amount back.

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
So it was basically an "order" and not a "pre-order," right?

no it is a preorder because you are ordering a product before it is available for sale/released.

You order a product that is already available for sale that is no longer in stock or backordered.

Pre/ordering is and will always be separate from the delivery of any item.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
no it is a preorder because you are ordering a product before it is available for sale/released.

You order a product that is already available for sale that is no longer in stock or backordered.

Pre/ordering is and will always be separate from the delivery of any item.

The Kindle and Ipad were delivered generally on or before retail; they were certainly shipped beforehand. This is almost always the case for consumer electronics that are available to pre-order, including video games (disregarding individual stores breaking release--this is not a case of that). This is even the case with high-profile books such as the Harry Potter series.

Imagine if Google decided to ship pre-orders a month after street date... you'd be saying the same thing, "well, you merely ordered it before release, they didn't say anything about when they'd give it to you!"

It's good to see that Google is getting the same kind of fanboys Apple has, though, must mean they are becoming fashionable to some degree. That's good for the market place, I think.

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Apparently you didn't read the last line of the definition, which says:

Please read before you post, so next time you won't look so silly. Kthanx.

Apparently you didn't read mine. The act of preordering is a seperate act from delivery. Unless a specific date was agreed to, delivery on launch day is not automatic. Kthanx

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to convince anyone of my position; my position is now somewhere in the middle.

I'm only basing my opinion from my experience with other retailers.

I now know w/o a firm release date or notice of exclusivity from Google I will not preorder from them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I wasn't taking issue with anything you said, I quoted you because I feel my thoughts are along the same lines as what you contributed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Apparently you didn't read mine. The act of preordering is a seperate act from delivery. Unless a specific date was agreed to, delivery on launch day is not automatic. Kthanx

Yeah, it's common practice for pre-orders to arrive later than launch. That was the case with the Kindle and Ipad.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's common practice for pre-orders to arrive later than launch. That was the case with the Kindle and Ipad.

Thatvwas certainly not the case for the iPad. I got it the day it was released. Apple even made special arrangements with UPS to ensure preorders were received on launch day. Kindle fires where also shipped early for those who preordered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Thatvwas certainly not the case for the iPad. I got it the day it was released. Apple even made special arrangements with UPS to ensure preorders were received on launch day. Kindle fires where also shipped early for those who preordered.

Oh golly, looks like pre-orders ARE traditionally sent out before retail! I hope other people advocating for Google here are willing to admit they are wrong!

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for taking my mind off of real problems for the 20 minutes it took to read this thread. You guys rule.

I ordered on the 29th, still no shipping confirmation. It's cool. Life has all kinds of other, way more important, stuff to worry about.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Now you look really silly. The definition of pre-order says:

"A pre-order is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, before the release, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee immediate delivery on release"

You then comment on the definition, saying:

By this definition the system worked. Preordering and delivery time are two separate actions.

Lol. Let me quote it again, so you can read it slowly:

Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee immediate delivery on release

You get it this time? No? Okay, one more time then:

PRE-ORDERS ALLOW CONSUMERS TO GUARANTEE IMMEDIATE DELIVERY ON RELEASE

That's the DEFINITION of a pre-order. Yesterday was launch day. Call Google, and they'll be happy to tell you as much, as they have many other customers and the 6 or 7 retailers who started selling them. Many people's products have not yet been shipped. On launch day. Therefor Google failed to provide a proper pre-order. I can't make it any simpler for you. If you fail to understand, I'm sorry bro, but you can't be helped.

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Jedi Neo, I have been following this discussion and I just wanted to say you really are starting to look very silly, very fast, and I'm kind of puzzled why you would go so far to defend a large corporation.

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm stoked I don't have to wait till midnight thursday night/friday morning to watch the dark knight. Glad I preordered my tickets so I could watch it after work wed instead. You guys rock!

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My 2 cents........given the fact that most places (best buy, radio shack and a ton of others) are still denying that they have stock and saying it is not for sale yet. I am guessing that the places that are selling them are doing so at there will and not googles. My guess is Google planned to have there orders filled by release day, but a few company's jumped the gun. This could mean you will get you nexus sooner then Google interned and places like GameStop will be last on the list for future releases.
Just my thought.

There always seems to be a lucky few that get a phone early because of a uninformed employ. eg: best buy and verizon galaxy nexus.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm stoked I don't have to wait till midnight thursday night/friday morning to watch the dark knight. Glad I preordered my tickets so I could watch it after work wed instead. You guys rock!

Groan.

Horrible example.

A closer one is if you bought a ticket ahead of time for the first show, and paid a service fee. Upon arriving at the theater to collect your ticket and see the show, you learned that people who showed up were sold the ticket reserved for you (sans service fee), and the earliest show they could offer you was Monday.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Groan.

Horrible example.

A closer one is if you bought a ticket ahead of time for the first show, and paid a service fee. Upon arriving at the theater to collect your ticket and see the show, you learned that people who showed up were sold the ticket reserved for you (sans service fee), and the earliest show they could offer you was Monday.

^This. We weren't expecting the device days before launch day. We were expecting it to be at least SHIPPED BY launch day.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Let's try to keep this discussion on an intelligent and mature level, thanks :).

This issue sucks all around, no matter who you want to blame--your expectations or Google's handling.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
My 2 cents........given the fact that most places (best buy, radio shack and a ton of others) are still denying that they have stock and saying it is not for sale yet. I am guessing that the places that are selling them are doing so at there will and not googles. My guess is Google planned to have there orders filled by release day, but a few company's jumped the gun. This could mean you will get you nexus sooner then Google interned and places like GameStop will be last on the list for future releases.
Just my thought.

There always seems to be a lucky few that get a phone early because of a uninformed employ. eg: best buy and verizon galaxy nexus.

Yeah just a few folks broke this supposed sales restriction. Just every Gamestop, Sam's Club and Office Depot that got stock across the country. Thats not many.

DigitalKnight

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Just my thought.

I agree... I have called all over the area I live in and I get the same answer every time. "pre-orders are in but we are not allowed to give them out until next week." and all the websites I try to order it from also say pre-order with a delivery date of middle of next week.

If I could grab it physically and take it home I would have.... But since I can not, and mine has shipped and says will be delivered Monday then I will be getting it before anyone..... In my area anyway.... YMMV depending on where you live.....

jacob2kd

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
wow blows my mine reading this waste of 4pages, don't see how people don't get its not googles fault for stores releasing their product they had for months earlier then google wanted!

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Is this discussion still going on? There is no one who preordered this tablet the first week that it was listed in the Play Store who believed that they would not be receiving it on or before the launch date. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to make excuses for Google. It may not upset you to wait but let's get serious, we all thought we would have this tablet on or before the day that it could be purchased at Gamestop, Walmart, Sam's Club, Radio Shack, etc... To say anything else would be disingenuous. I definitely would not have spent 13.99 on shipping if I knew otherwise. No one here can convince me that they spent the shipping money for convenience's sake alone.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty