Nexus 7 Glass Seperation

mnor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Just received My nexus 7 from GP this morning. Inspected the screen for issues and saw no seperation issue . But after handling the screen with my hand noticed a slight play/movement with a small clicking snd (not the nexus snd effect) on the left hand side towards the center.

No issue with performance yet, but will be watching this for further issues.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Just called my local GameStop about the separation on mine. I noticed this morning it was back. Since I need my Nexus 7 for work they are ordering a replacement and will have it ready to exchange. Was told likely by the end of the week.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Chisaki

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Not to completely discount the adhesive and/or temperature theory, there clearly is a hardware aspect of this as well. Every one of these exhibiting the issue has it occurring on the same side of the device. That is not just a coincidence.

I believe the heat theory because most seperation problems seem to be on the left side, and I think the left side gets the hottest when extended use

Does the left side get the hottest with extended use?

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, I read the first post again and I think I completely misunderstood what the problem is. I think these are possible causes for the problem:

1) The glass is too large for the case and, since the ends are glued securely and giving no quarter, it's bowing the glass upwards in the middle. Since it always seems to be the same edge that separates, I'll bet that was the last part to be pressed down during the assembly process. When you get the tablet warm, the glass softens a little and relaxes back down to the bezel.

But, it seems when you get it warm, the glass would expand as it heats and the bowing would get worse. So...

2) The case underneath expands as the device gets warm, allowing the bowed section of glass a place to settle back down to.

3) There must be too much disparity between the expansion of the case and the expansion of the glass. If they repeatadly expand and contract at different rates, they'll start to come apart.

4) To counteract the shifting action between the glass and the case, they used a rubber cement that would allow flexing, but chose one with too low a "melting" point(too gooey). IF they chose a glue with too much hardener, the glass would probably break from being stressed and flexed by the shrinking/expanding case it was attached to.

5) The case and glass do not heat and expand evenly, because the source of heat is greatest near the cpu and other chips, causing that area to flex more.
If you look on the IFixit website, you can see that the motherboard, including the processor and chipset, are located on the same side of the tablet that is coming apart(the left). It makes sense that this part of the tablet gets the hottest during heavy use. They probably have to peek at that side as they are closing it up to ensure all of the ribbon cables remain connected before "sealing the tomb".

Nexus 7 Teardown - iFixit

See the Step 5 photo. The right hand is holding the front of the tablet with it's back to us. That puts the CPU on the left if it was turned back around to face us.

I think if you turn the tablet off (so that no heat is being generated from the inside), then evenly warm the tablet in a shaded part of a car interior on a hot day or in the oven when it's set on WARM, all edges of the tablet will flex at the same time and the glue will soften evenly. When it cools and contracts evenly, the glue will firm up as everything seats itself evenly. I would not heat the tablet past 100-110F. I don't think you need to place it in the freezer afterwards, per my earlier post.

Otherwise, it sounds like the trick is to only use the tablet outdoors when it's cold and only play HD movies or 3D video games for 5 minutes at a time, with a 30 minute cool-down intermission. That's not so bad. Just kidding.

Don't we have any engineers that ordered one of these?

Chisaki

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Otherwise, it sounds like the trick is to only use the tablet outdoors when it's cold and only play HD movies or 3D video games for 5 minutes at a time, with a 30 minute cool-down intermission. That's not so bad. Just kidding.

Don't we have any engineers that ordered one of these?

Good advice, same thing I said yesterday. So if you don't have the problem out of the box, don't allowed the tablet to overheat until the glue is cured.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Got mine from staples, and have slight seperation on the left, push down and it sticks for a few hours, then pops up a little again.... :(

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am hopfully hours away from receiving my pre-order tablet via UPS. I am anxious to see if this batch has the same issue as the retail versions. If it doesn't, I guess I will be glad I didn't cancel my order.

I suggest anyone else buying one retail open it right there in the store in front of the manager or counter employee so you can ask for another one, on the spot. Too bad they won't open all of them ahead of time so customers don't have to deal with the problem when they get home.

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I combined two consecutive comments into one post. Can't I delete this one? I don't see an option for that. Mouse-over near edit shows Edit/Delete message, but only Edit is available, not Delete.

Last edited:

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I put in a request for an RMA with Asus and it looks like that's going to be a whole ordeal (with no cross ship). Just going to return to Sam's and not refuse delivery on the Google Play one as I was planning to do. Hopefully will be luckier with that one.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I put in a request for an RMA with Asus and it looks like that's going to be a whole ordeal (with no cross ship). Just going to return to Sam's and not refuse delivery on the Google Play one as I was planning to do. Hopefully will be luckier with that one.

Hopefully man, I was hoping mine (from GP) wouldn't be defective but unfortunately, It has the separation issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Chisaki

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Received my GP Nexus 7 two hours ago. It looks perfect, no sign of screen separation.

I did notice an adhesive smell when I opened the box. Could be the adhesive had not completely cured when they put it in the box. I'm going easy on letting it get too hot for a few days to let it cure.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody has posted photos of this yet.

Does it protrude enough to irritate your finger/thumb while holding it? Could it possibly cut you? Does the screen not respond to touch near the effected edge? Does it warp or distort the image near the effected edge?

Not trying to belittle everyone's problem, but I'm trying to find out if it's something that can be lived with or something that's actually detrimental to using the device.

x4sper

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine looks like it bows to the center on the left side if your looking at the screen and bezel at 45degrees... straight on It looks fine.. it does have a sponge feel to the left side and the corners are flush with the case corners.. I think people maybe looking to hard at this. Lol I'm turn on a movie and see if it gets worse

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using my mind.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine has this issue as well. Left side starting from the middle about two inches worth. Not quite as extreme as posted prior. I can run my finger nail up to the metal trim with the glass sitting below the trim. However, on the part where it's raised the glass is ever so slightly higher. It makes a clicking sound when I press on the glass there. Display and touch is not affected.

I just had mine delivered today from Google.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody has posted photos of this yet.

Does it protrude enough to irritate your finger/thumb while holding it? Could it possibly cut you? Does the screen not respond to touch near the effected edge? Does it warp or distort the image near the effected edge?

Not trying to belittle everyone's problem, but I'm trying to find out if it's something that can be lived with or something that's actually detrimental to using the device.

I don't think mine would significantly affect performance, but the sound of the adhesive trying to adhere and the spongey feel is definitely annoying. Since my screen also ghosts hardcore, it's getting returned to Staples while my elusive 6/27 order pends.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the impressions guys. Mine just arrived at my apartment and I'll check it as soon as I get home. Hopefully it doesn't have the problem, or if so, it's minor enough to not get bugged by.

Now that you mention it, I think if it made that spongy feel or the click noise each time I was touching that side of the screen I would get annoyed pretty fast. Hope you get your replacement soon!