Nexus 7 Glass Seperation

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I might just live with it. I can deal with slight glass separation. I couldn't deal with a dead pixel or the other reported issues if I were to get a bad replacement device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Same boat, I reckon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I'd break this tablet it's so small and has tiny components. I have big fingers and am clumsy lol. Not a winning combination. We shouldn't have to repair our own devices.

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the problem came back even after tightening the screws :/
I'm going to live with it until I see someone post pics or a video on how to fix.
Bummer.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'll post pics when I get to work this afternoon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I'd break this tablet it's so small and has tiny components. I have big fingers and am clumsy lol. Not a winning combination. We shouldn't have to repair our own devices.

I completely agree with the "shouldn't have to repair" statement (I can't agree with the big fingers, I don't know you lol). But, the way I see it, if you want to give a self repair a shot, then why not? :D

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
OK, here's a pic of the area where the plastic tab is located. Keep in mind that mine is already removed so you just have to look in this spot for a black plastic tab.
46c7c58d-fd03-b109.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dmmarck

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I did mine on Friday and it is still looking good as of today. I added a pic of the left side of the screen. I know it's a tough thing to see in a picture but before I did this, from this angle, you couldn't even see the silver bezel in the middle because the screen was lifted so much. Now I can see the bezel on the entire length of the screen.

46c7c58d-186d-84b1.jpg

Reactions: dmmarck

Larry Mahnken

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I drained the battery to dead, used a couple of binder clips and a napkin to hold the screen down, then charged it for a few hours with a towel wrapped around it, then let it cool for a couple of hours. The glue reset, and I have had zero screen separation issues since then.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I drained the battery to dead, used a couple of binder clips and a napkin to hold the screen down, then charged it for a few hours with a towel wrapped around it, then let it cool for a couple of hours. The glue reset, and I have had zero screen separation issues since then.

Tried something similar, worked for about 24 hrsand it came back.

Sent from my Nexus 7

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's been a while since I checked this thread, so excuse me for having not gone back to read every page...

I have this same issue with my tab (as noted way back on the first few pages)...tried the screw tightening which seemed to only temporarily improve it. I knew it wasn't a big deal as the tab worked just fine, but it still bugged the crap out of me.

While I haven't a true solution to the issue yet, I will say this: I bought one of the official cases for mine from the Google Play store, and with the way it fits over the tab, it completely eliminated the problem for me! For one, I can't see the raised edge anymore because the case covers it, and 2nd, it places a tight grip around the tablet and there is no more creaking or play when holding it either. I was always planning on using the case anyway, so for me, problem solved.

Again, I apologize if this was already mentioned, and I also realize for some this "fix" may not be acceptable based on your intended usage...but wanted to toss this out there none the less.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while since I checked this thread, so excuse me for having not gone back to read every page...

I have this same issue with my tab (as noted way back on the first few pages)...tried the screw tightening which seemed to only temporarily improve it. I knew it wasn't a big deal as the tab worked just fine, but it still bugged the crap out of me.

While I haven't a true solution to the issue yet, I will say this: I bought one of the official cases for mine from the Google Play store, and with the way it fits over the tab, it completely eliminated the problem for me! For one, I can't see the raised edge anymore because the case covers it, and 2nd, it places a tight grip around the tablet and there is no more creaking or play when holding it either. I was always planning on using the case anyway, so for me, problem solved.

Again, I apologize if this was already mentioned, and I also realize for some this "fix" may not be acceptable based on your intended usage...but wanted to toss this out there none the less.

Coincidentally, the only way I know about the lift is by taking my Google case off :).

jdfischer

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got one with a C90 serial number and the glass is lifting on the left side just like you guys are describing. Not sure if I should exchange it for another N7, or get the Galaxy Tab 7 instead. Seems like this is an ongoing problem with these if they haven't gotten it fixed by now.

JKendall80

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
T-Rex, I am telling myself that as well. I had the original 8GB and had to return due to this very issue. It's been a few months of not having one, but now with the larger capicity units I am really wanting to get one again!

Last edited by a moderator:

jdfischer

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Try your luck at getting another one, it's well worth it to get a working unit.

I am trying the easy things first :) I put it about a foot in front of an electric heater and got it good and warm (far warmer than it would ever get under normal operation), then clamped the screen down with a microfiber cloth between the clamp and the screen until it cooled down. So far it's holding, but it's only been an hour or so. I'll have to see how long this might work, or if it's just a placebo effect and it'll just rise up again fairly soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54