Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree324Likes

Default Re: Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

Just got my 1st tablet and YES!! I read the freaking manual!

Still having trouble moving movies and data files from my mass storage disk to the Nexus 7. Any tips for a noobie?

Manual says to hook up the tablet to a PC (I am running WNDZ 7) and transfer files normally. I get a dialog box that states that the PC wants the tablet in "mass storage mode" but I see no selection for that on the 7. How do I get my movies from my hard drive to the tablet easily?

TIA!!!!
    Last edited by 10dorado; 12-27-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by 10dorado View Post
    Just got my 1st tablet and YES!! I read the freaking manual!

Still having trouble moving movies and data files from my mass storage disk to the Nexus 7. Any tips for a noobie?

Manual says to hook up the tablet to a PC (I am running WNDZ 7) and transfer files normally. I get a dialog box that states that the PC wants the tablet in "mass storage mode" but I see no selection for that on the 7. How do I get my movies from my hard drive to the tablet easily?

TIA!!!!
    you posted this query in the wrong place !

in any case, read this thread and your questions will be answered.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...op-cpu-n7.html

Quote Originally Posted by releveler View Post
    Android 4g and 3g users can use FoxFi to turn their phone into a free wifi hotspot.

Excellent! So FoxFi is an app I need to put on the Droid Verizon smartphone I buy, so I can have wifi on my Nexus 7 and N10 while traveling in my vehicle?
    GKWANNABE likes this.

My Mistake!! I am a noobie..........

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by adamfrayne182 View Post
    Meh seems to boring.

More fun hearing it from others. Also I doubt the manual tells you everything.
    Oops! Tried to thumbs up from new talkatap HD app... Didn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

VLC player works with most video files including AVI

In this video I show you how to prevent any application downloaded from Googleplay updating itself.

Thanked by 2:
    dwilli9013 likes this.

Default Re: EBOOKS link madness

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
    calibre - E-book management --> Calibre home
    Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
    Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
    MobileRead
    614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
    Best Free eBook Reader for Android ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
    Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com -----> same as above reviews
    Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ----> real nice comparison tables
    I was recently able to download a book from Ted Deeker but now I have no idea what to do with it as my nexus 7 won't open it. I'm so new to all of this I don't even know where to start?

Default Re: EBOOKS link madness

Quote Originally Posted by Talia Lewis View Post
    I was recently able to download a book from Ted Deeker but now I have no idea what to do with it as my nexus 7 won't open it. I'm so new to all of this I don't even know where to start?
    I assume you meant Ted Dekker. You start by looking at the downloaded file's format (which is probably .azw if from Amazon or ePub if from B&N) and loading the proper app (probably Kindle eReader would work for .azw or something else for ePub) onto your Nexus 7 to match the format OR download the format to match the eReader app's capabilities.. You really should go to the mobileread link and start learning more, especially about copy protection (DRM) since it will limit what you can do and should be avoided at all costs.

Kindle Amazon Mobile https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...24ua2luZGxlIl0.
    Cool Reader https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...29scmVhZGVyIl0.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    May just be waiting for help to open the packaging...I had a heck of a time getting it open....
    Same here... Unboxing the thing was a blooming nightmare! Wish I could have smashed if open but then the tablet would break so...

Quote Originally Posted by Maisy P View Post
    Same here... Unboxing the thing was a blooming nightmare! Wish I could have smashed if open but then the tablet would break so...
    Glad I watch this vid before opening mine....

A quick question before I post this video. I notice that in apps like tapatalk no thumbnail is appearing for my videos, just a link. What format/syntax do I need to use to display a thumbnail with my video?

Thanks.

In this video I show you how to change the appearance of your folder icons.

Last edited by vgjfelix; 12-31-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    mainmellowdello likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishordley View Post
    No flash on jelly bean is a pain as in UK and BBC iplayer wont work on Nexus.
    iplayer works for me

Sometimes WiFi connections to the Nexus 7 are a problem but this issue is not always easy to fix.

Slow downloads and excessive buffering of video streams indicates a poor connection someplace between your display software and the source of the vid stream. Check your settings along the part of the route you control - N7, WiFi, Router. DNS service. The part you do not control is generally not the problem but there are lots of exceptions there as well. You need to find where along the line the problem is coming from 1st.

settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > Advanced > wifi optimization (try toggle both ways)
    settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > WiFi Direct > nothing checked
    android ping & trace https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JvaWQucGluZyJd
    ---------- general apps ----------
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test <---- Android version available - will tell you about the general speed of your internet connection
    SpeedGuide.net :: Broadband Tweaks, Tools and Info <----utilities and info on internet connections
    namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting <------ find the best DNS server
    PingPlotter Freeware <-------- see the speed of the packet-hops to your machine

=======================================
    You can always sidestep the WiFi connection entirely:
    Connect your Nexus 7 with an (LAN ) ethernet adapter connection:
    USB to Ethernet adapter - xda-developers
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

I found that battery life increases from 1 day to well over 4 if I have the setting "turn wifi off when asleep" set to Yes. The Nexus seems to reconnect very quickly and it doesn't use any power when asleep.

I hope this helps - if it's already been mentioned, then I apologise.

Alan
    Thanked by 3:
    blakes278 likes this.

Dice player works great. Must have video app.
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

You have got to be kidding me. Some people need instructions on opening the box? ... Oh, wait. My 10 yo daughter needed a little explanation on Christmas day. (She was trying to angle the bottom out, not drop it out smoothly.) I get it.

For everyone's reference, USB connection type is accessed in Settings | Storage | [action overflow menu] USB computer Connection. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by brad_wp View Post
    For planes, buses, and trains you've got to at least have in-ear headphones that seal. The best I've had are some Sony in-ear with the silicon ear pieces I got for $90 a few years ago. Haven't ever used any super expensive ones. I like the small in-ear ones because they're more convenient than the over the ears (and you don't look like a hipster when you're using them).
    I concur. For planes & trains, you need either over-ear headphones, or in-ear monitors. I like Bose IEMs, but they're pricey -- $100 for good $50 ear buds. You can get a boatload of opinions and recommendations for all price ranges at head-fi.org. Gizmodo held a "battlemodo" 4 years ago for IEMs that yielded some surprise winners/bargains.
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Some people need instructions on opening the box? ... Oh, wait. My 10 yo daughter needed a little explanation on Christmas day. (She was trying to angle the bottom out, not drop it out smoothly.) I get it.
    I never understood the unboxing videos either. I had opened a few device in my life w/o watching any video how to open the box. I mean plz... There's only so many options - u use smtg sharp to cut the tape that holding the lid in place. How difficult that could b!?

Nexus7 baby!
    Thanked by:
    pjniez 
    Stefan Bosch and gusar2000 like this.

Unboxing vids are not really "How To", but more for the.... well, this....

Thanked by 4:
    lv2bsilly likes this.

From my experience you can't open Netflix nor HBO go from foxfi paid or free. So think about it before you buy that app.

Default Blown Speaker Fix, sort of...

Blown Speaker Fix, sort of...

Found a vid that will help, sort of. If you check the comments for me, you'll see where I used a piece of foam instead of his solution. Not to spoil the ending but FYI, you still have one good speaker.....

youtube.com/watch?v=bJbpyRjvg7A

My comment on youtube:

Mat Helm 1 second ago
    Thanks to your vid, I opened mine up. But having called google on 12/19/12 to take advantage of their "rapid replacement" warranty, I didn't want to do anything permanent or even hot glue'ish. But tiring of ear buds and being that I still haven't received my promised (twice now) RMA and/or shipment notification (01/04/13) I had to do something. So having read somewhere else a while back about foam, I snipped a piece (1/4x1/4x1/4 roughly) from my mattress pad and placed it over the offending speaker. Wa La... problem solved. At least the one problem, still waiting on google. 17 days kinda takes the rapid outta rapid replacement huh....

If you go to settings/about tablet and start tapping on build number (10 times, I think) it shows you developer options. Also, this is something I've done personally, but by making the background a dark color, I used Widgetsoid to create a stock-blue colored widget with all the info I like to see at a glance. (CPU temp/usage, battery temp/life, brightness control, a clear cache button, clock, and a 'post to Facebook' button along with wifi controls.) The great thing is that this widget is more advanced than the horizontal strip that comes stock, and you can set it vertical, which is a huge plus for me.

*EDIT*

Just found out a way to remove lag. There is a problem with the random-something-or-other-generator on the N7, and an app called Seeder takes care of that. My device is responding as fast as it was out of the box. Here is the link from the dev about it.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/03...on/#more-94361
    Last edited by indestructibleguy; 01-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Thanked by:
    blakes278 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
    From my experience you can't open Netflix nor HBO go from foxfi paid or free. So think about it before you buy that app.
    If you're rooted check out WiFi Tether. Works great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by indestructibleguy View Post
    *EDIT*

Just found out a way to remove lag. There is a problem with the random-something-or-other-generator on the N7, and an app called Seeder takes care of that. My device is responding as fast as it was out of the box. Here is the link from the dev about it.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/03...on/#more-94361
    but read this:
    Entropy Seed Generator Not All Its Hacked Up to Be xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    Alright. Did you read the comments? It's a full out geek rage war over there...... From what i understood, all I'm doing is keeping the CPU always running, basically simulating 'performance, mode. But what i know that does help is to disable all the unused Google apps. In Settings/Apps, slide to all, then tap and disable. This keeps them from running on the background, and makes N7 faster. :thumbup:

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Thanked by:
    GKWANNABE likes this.