Backing up apps problems?

Moviecouple

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having issues trying to backup some of my apps on the Nexus 7. Some apps will backup and others won't. I have tried doing it with Astro, ES File Explorer, and File Expert. My Nexus 7 is not rooted.

Any ideas? Thought I read that Jelly Bean has new types of protection... But come on. Just want to backup my purchased apps just in case.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but I don't know if anything really can back up apps (especially app data) without being rooted.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, sorry, I don't understand. What are you using to 'back up' all this? There's a reason why tons of people use Titanium Back Up Pro (requires root). I believe there is something called 'app extractor' which lets you back up app data (no root required I think), but I have not used it myself, so I can't comment on how well it works.

Moviecouple

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
All I am trying to do is just make a backup of an app. Like a backup of the older version of Dolphin HD app. It works with Flash and the newer one doesn't. So I want to have a copy of it just in case.
Astro File Browser has an option to choose whatever app you want and make a backup of it. I then can store that backup wherever I want. Usually goes onto my Dropbox account in case I need it later.

Now, with the Nexus 7... Astro won't let me make backups of certain apps. Comic Rack won't backup, Galaxy Pack won't backup. Others have no problems. I have also tried using ES File Explorer and File Expert. They also won't do certain apps.

If I try the exact same setup but using my Galaxy Note with ICS... everything backups with no problems.

So I am taking a guess and say it has something to do with Jelly Bean.

I was just trying to see if anyone knew of this or has a suggestion of what to try.

yellowsun

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. I assumed it was because of jelly bean or the lack of an sd card. Wish I could figure it out though. I have a few apps which I am afraid to update without a current copy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Moviecouple

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
It has to be some type of new security features in Jelly Bean. Take for instance Comic Rack. I have the exact same version of the app running on my Nexus 7 (JB) and also on my Galaxy Note (ICS). Using Astro or ES File, it won't backup on my Nexus, but does perfectly on the Galaxy Note.

Go figure. Gonna try and root my Nexus 7 in the next few days and try Titanium to see if it will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana