Nexus 7 vs Toshiba Thrive 10.1

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Toshiba Thrive for a little over a year now and its been a great experience. However, and this is not a problem limited to Toshiba, the extremely long wait for ICS considering that the Thrive had almost vanilla Android 3.2 was exasperating. And now I DOUBT we will ever see all the cool features in 4.2. This problem led me to jump onto the Nexus wagon when it comes to phones and I am really tempted to get the Nexus 7 now too. At $199 for a 16gb model I think its a great deal. I bought one at Staples to try it out and have two weeks if I decide to return it and am loving it up to now.

But will I miss having a 10" screen and regret getting the Nexus 7? And is missing out on Jelly Bean really enough reason to ditch the Toshiba Thrive? Performance wise, the Thrive has been good but could certainly be better. And the speakers are AWFUL. Never have I used the Thrive to watch a movie or video or listen to music without head phones. There are some issues I have with the build quality feeling a bit cheap and as I mentioned before, though performance is OK there are stumbles and stutters occasionally. Anyway, anyone have some advice?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you really feel the need for a 10" screen, then I would look at the nexus 10. Pre orders started today. Otherwise I find the 7" to be a great size. It is good for personal use and the size and form factor makes it easy to carry around.

Nexus devices should get all the love first when updates come out, especially with key lime pie (5.0). Trust me, I've been in your shoes waiting for an OTA from a manufacture or in my case, Sprint. My phone still runs ICS, it will never see JB and after using my nexus, I wish I had JB. Google now is petty nifty.

Speakers aren't the best on this device but that's the pay off for the cost. It's an awesome deal. I normally use headphones with the N7. Kindle fire HD has better sound and better screen calibration but their ecosystem is horrible. You won't find another great device in this price range, at least currently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It totally depends on what you want to do with your tablet.

I recently sold my Thrive, not because there was anything wrong with it but because I wanted a 7" form factor tablet.

The Thrive has expandable storage, HDMI out, replaceable battery, and with a root and overclock it's a snappy performer.

But it's big and bulky, has annoying LEDs, and not too great on battery life.

The only thing I really miss with the Nexus is the expandable storage. The lighter form factor, display, quad core, and mainly TIMELY UPDATES are the real selling points.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I too went from the Toshiba Thrive 10.1 to a Nexus 7. The last thing I did with the Thrive was updated it to ICS which was long overdue.

The Thrive was a great tablet for photography. Viewing and backing up photos shot with my dSLR, and copying the photos from the SD card to a thumb drive on the go was very handy.

Ah, the perfect full-sized tablet right now would be the Nexus 10 screen + the Thrive's expansion ports, in a slim unibody shell (minus the removable battery), running stock Android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

KernWillia

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
the size and form factor makes it easy to carry around.
bNE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress