T-Mobile on Nexus 7?

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Currently I'm using my Nexus 7 with the AT&T SIM card that it shipped with and the 3GB per month for 30$ prepaid plan. Well, I already used 440mb of that. Sure, it's the initial "neccesary apps downloading" (I don't have WiFi!).

I know it doesn't work with Sprint or Verizon, but I didn't hear anything about it not working on T-Mobile. And since I found a nice prepaid plan there (30$ for 5GB of fast Internet, then slowed down to Edge, plus texting which I won't and can't use on the tablet). Since I don't think that AT&T slows me down after the 3GB but rather cuts the service, this plan is more appealing to me. More data, and they don't cut me off, and Edge Speed for a few days is not a bad thing for me.

So does T-Mobile work on the Nexus 7? Do they even offer MicroSIM on Prepaid Cards? Cause if so, I'll switch. I only worry about the coverage, but my sister-in-law gets 4G in this area, so why worry?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if it has the right radios, but I'm guessing it does.

If it does work, I do know that t-mobile has micro sim cards for prepaid that cost $1 online. So it wouldn't hurt to try them out for a month, especially since it is prepaid. If you don't like the service, you can always go straight back to AT&T :)

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Currently I'm using my Nexus 7 with the AT&T SIM card that it shipped with and the 3GB per month for 30$ prepaid plan. Well, I already used 440mb of that. Sure, it's the initial "neccesary apps downloading" (I don't have WiFi!).

I know it doesn't work with Sprint or Verizon, but I didn't hear anything about it not working on T-Mobile. And since I found a nice prepaid plan there (30$ for 5GB of fast Internet, then slowed down to Edge, plus texting which I won't and can't use on the tablet). Since I don't think that AT&T slows me down after the 3GB but rather cuts the service, this plan is more appealing to me. More data, and they don't cut me off, and Edge Speed for a few days is not a bad thing for me.

So does T-Mobile work on the Nexus 7? Do they even offer MicroSIM on Prepaid Cards? Cause if so, I'll switch. I only worry about the coverage, but my sister-in-law gets 4G in this area, so why worry?

I've seen reports that the T-Mobile $30 plan will not work with the Nexus 7 or other tablets. They can detect that the SIM card is being used in a tablet and will block service.

Sent from my SGSIII

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
And what's wrong with using it on a tablet? They even say in the description " Great for video chat, streaming music/movies/TV, playing online games, and more.", so I don't see why tablets should be blocked from that?!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
And what's wrong with using it on a tablet? They even say in the description " Great for video chat, streaming music/movies/TV, playing online games, and more.", so I don't see why tablets should be blocked from that?!

I use the $30 T-Mobile plan with my Nexus 4 and considered getting the Nexus 7 with cellular data capability, and looked into whether I could use my existing plan with the Nexus 7. Apparently, it doesn't work.

T-Mobile sells tablet data plans that cost more, which presumably is why they block the $30 phone plan from working with tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the $30 T-Mobile plan with my Nexus 4 and considered getting the Nexus 7 with cellular data capability, and looked into whether I could use my existing plan with the Nexus 7. Apparently, it doesn't work.

T-Mobile sells tablet data plans that cost more, which presumably is why they block the $30 phone plan from working with tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Couldn't you tether your N7 to your N4?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive what might seem like a dumb question but I ask that you cut some slack for an old guy :cool:

I am going to purchase a Nexus 4 and use it with Net10 unlimited service. Can I set the phone as a hot spot and use a Nexus 7 from that data plan ?

Thank for not busting my chops for being old and ignorant about all the technology.

Thanks

Last edited:

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Double tap

I am currently using a galaxy nexus as hot spot for the N7. Pure Android by default offers free hotspot out the box. So the N4 should be able to provide WiFi for your tablet.