Stock Nexus 7 stuck on 'X' screen, even after factory reset

Gawge

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So, a few days ago, I started having some problems with my stock Nexus 7 (not unlocked, no ROMs or anything like that). Some apps just wouldn't open, they would force close within a second of opening. Anyway, I think it might have stemmed from the game "Let's Golf 3", as problems started after playing that, and when going back in to it after a day of issues, a message appeared saying "Unfortunately, launcher has stopped" - it gave me the option to report or cancel, but whatever I pressed, the message popped back up. I pressed the sleep button, which seemed to turn my Nexus off somehow.

Then, when trying to to turn my Nexus back on, it just stays on the 'X' screen. I have done a factory wipe through the fastboot menu a few times, but it still stays stuck on the 'X' screen. To turn it off, I hold down the power button, but it just starts the process again automatically. The only way to actually turn the device off is through the fastboot menu.

I have seen talk of 'factory image' and drivers etc... but I am not too comfortable with that sort of thing. I know the basics of troubleshooting devices, but not much more. I am very wary of doing anything more than what the device provides me with.

Any idea how I can get my Nexus started, or am I going to have to look for a replacement?

rmmyyz

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My 32gb N7 did the same thing as far as being stuck on the X. I called Asus and had an RMA processed for them to fix it because it was still under warranty. I could not get it resolved on my own. If yours is under warranty I'd go that route.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and after talking to the good folk at Google they sent a replacement. Sucked but the new one has been fine.

Posted via Android Central App

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have done three times to my daughters N7. Last one just now. Probably a fault in hardware since it keeps happening.
My N7 has never had THIS problem. It has had its own issues.
Wiping is not such a bad thing since all the apps are automatically loaded after wiping.

BUT the continuing (every few days) hangup is maddening. Anybody have a suggestion to fix for good? The video above mentioned 2nd gen N7. Wonder if it is having the problem?

Ethan Ozburn

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
This was already done and didn't work. That was done AND the x is still stuck on the screen. When you post a video about how to fix THAT, please let me know. Because right now I have a $150 paperweight through no fault of my own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith