Feedback input appreciated!

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been happy with my (2012) Nexus 7 (8GB) but will be replacing it due to warranty plan. What I would like to know is as much feedback on the pros and cons of the Nexus (2013) or if there is an alternative tablet that I should consider instead?

My uses are more for databasing (Memento), note/list keeping, light net surfing (away from home), and would like to use camera more if it wasn't only front mounted. My idea of gaming is tame - Bejeweled or Tetris types. I'm not a social network type of person either.

I do like the back on my 2012 model and have read about that not being as great on the 2013 - any comments from 2013 users? What I don't like about my current model is - 1) front facing camera, 2) micro USB is near useless - can load IN to, but not OUT from tablet via this 'port'. A functional SCDRAM card/slot would be much more happy making - especially if I could transfer backup files/photos in & out by way of a removable card.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. I hope to use the coming week to research what I will be replacing my original device with.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 2013 N7 is still an excellent device. For the uses you're mentioning, you don't need the latest uber-powerful device. The USB port on the 2013 N7 supports OTG cables, and by using Nexus Media Importer, you can import files from a USB flash drive. If you want to export files to an external drive, you can use StickMount, but this requires rooting.

You may want to consider the LG G Pad 8.3, which does have a microSD slot. Expansys is selling the 16 GB Google Play Edition for $210, which is quite a steal! LG G Pad 8.3 V510 (WiFi, 16GB, Indigo Black) #LGV510_GPE_BK - Expansys USA

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy for your reply. I did the rooting routine on my 2012 and did try StickMount but all to no joy. Probably my fault in not understanding StickMount/rooting, but nonetheless, just a bust for me.

I will look into the LG G Pad 8.3 and see if I want to give that device a go. The price you linked to seems quite good and in bounds for me too! Hope that sale holds out until I get the refund certificate for my current 2012 Nexus 7.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
In reading a review of the LG G Pad 8.3, this comment popped up -
"a micro SD card slot, though stock Android can't really write to it (you can side-load music and video content onto it, though)."
Any comments? The main reason I would want a SD card would be to EXport files from tablet for back up. Is that an unrealistic expectation? Is StickMount and rooting the only option for an Android tab?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a KitKat limitation that requires apps to have specific permission to write on the SD card. For me, SD cards have always been most useful to store media like photos, videos, and music. If you want an app to backup files to the SD card, you could use Helium, which is very popular.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
GOLD STAR B. Diddy!! Those are exactly the insights I need to make a better decision. (Nexus 7 or LG GPE). I'm so old school that I still think in terms of 'mechanical' backups. Plus not being a cell phone user (less need, remote location) puts me at the 'back of the bus' when it comes to considerations about my needs/uses. Finding and learning to 'live with' options/patches that work for me is what I end up doing.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I am now grinding my teeth in that I am only able to use my refund at store (Office Depot) where I originally purchased my 2012 Nexus 7. And Office Depot does NOT carry LG products - bummer!!

OK forum folks - any one ever make Helium work with the micro USB slot as alternative 'SD card'?!? I have a micro USB OTG connector that allows a (regular) USB attached to it. Wondering if that could function as a 'backup' device? I could even transfer to computer/laptop for additional backup storage.

I love this forum as a reference resource and am glad to play whatever part I can to enrich knowledge base, even if only by posing questions and encouraging Hmmmmm type thinking and experimentation :p

Thanks again - one and all :-*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers