New problem after downgrading to 4.4.4KK...it wants to upgrade me again!

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I just went through the process of flashing my Nexus 7 back to 4.4.4KK, and my tablet runs great again. I felt like a long lost friend had returned after my horrible experiences with 5.02L. In any event, my Nexus has now downloaded 5.02L (again) and is notifying me that I need to upgrade, but obviously I don't want to!

Is there a way to permanently remove this (and only this) notification (and the 312MB file it downloaded) so I can peacefully stay where I am without Google nagging me perpetually to "upgrade" to 5.02L?

:confused:

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
if you root your tablet it cant update any further. it's a fairly simple process if you use wugs toolkit there are several videos you can watch on YouTube if you have any trouble or just want some tips on the toolkit. I suggest you go ahead and update to 5.0. 2 and then here soon you should update to 5.1 which cleared up all the bugs :).
but if you're happy with 4.4.4 just root your tablet. you can always flash up to 5.1 also and skip the headache of waiting on the OTA for 5.1

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply...I MIGHT try 5.1L if I see other 2012 Nexus 7 users actually happy with it's performance. The upgrade to 5.02L was very painful to me, and render my Nexus nearly unusable and it would locked up at will. I mean seriously, I damn near pitched the thing into the trash it was so bad. So having just flashed the ROM back to Kit Kat, I am going to be very wary about Google knowing what's best for me lol.

Rooting...my understanding of rooting is somehow taking control of the root user account, IE system and making it your own. I am not a Linux user, although I am somewhat familiar with the term by osmosis. In any event, are there any decent videos or writeups on how to root using a Windows machine? My Nexus is long out of warranty so I guess I can do this with the penalty for bricking it being getting a new Nexus 9 (which I consider overpriced for what you get).

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
trust me I've got 5.1 installed on both my Nexus 7 2012's and it is spectacular :)
I always use a Windows machine for rooting - windows 7 works best in my experience.
you're correct rooting gives you total control :)
there are tons of great videos on YouTube dealing with rooting the Nexus 7 through either wugs toolkit or through ADB manually.
I'll see if I can find a good link for you ;)

I have a nexus 9 & I am painfully waiting for the 5.1 update to hit the ASOP page so I can flash it on to my device ;)

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Here you go, this is flashing it manually through adb with a Windows machine once you get the hang of it it's painfully simple ;). this way you can go ahead and move up to 5.1
http://youtu.be/Ir-V1ONC6HI
if you're more interested in wugs toolkit I can also supply you with a good link too.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Here you go, this is flashing it manually through adb with a Windows machine once you get the hang of it it's painfully simple ;). this way you can go ahead and move up to 5.1
if you're more interested in wugs toolkit I can also supply you with a good link too.

Well thanks! I am wondering if there is some way to back up what I have right now on my Nexus, to be restored later as is -- should I not really like the 5.1l? I already have the image downloaded so I could update it this evening, but I would like to have a fail safe so I don't have to (re)reinstall everything again lol. Is there a way to snap an image of my current state and restore that back, or will I have to reflash into 4.4.4kk as I did? Also, does rooting prevent flashing? Sorry for all the noob questions here but hey, ya gotta start somewhere lol.

Last edited:

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
hey don't worry as you stated you gotta start somewhere. I'd say the easiest way to make a backup is to use wugs toolkit and hit the back up option ;). then later you can restore if need be.
being rooted will only prevents you from installing factory images through OTA updates.
once you have USB debugging enabled , your tablet unlocked and the factory image you like you can flash away ;)

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate all the help and insights! Thanks!

Now I wonder if I can root my Verizon Droid RAZR MAXX....there's WAY to much vendor crap on that thing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19