Finally had it with 5.0.2, "downgraded" to 4.4.4

cliffyk

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I reached the limit of my patience with Android 5.0.2 on my 32GB 2012 model.

<edit>
It was 5.1.1 that I got rid of, just had it for a couple weeks...
</edit>

With constant hang-ups and crashes (I will live out the rest of my life quite nicely if I never again have to see that insipid "Aw Snap" message) it had made the tablet literally useless. I had tried all the tricks, disabled just about everything, done two or three soft factory resets and was clearing the cache twice a day--which sort of made things better for an hour or so--but it just had to go.

So I wiped it and loaded 4.4.4 Saturday afternoon and spent the rest of the day and evening reloading everything--now I am once again a happy camper with it working as it did before the "upgrade"--it's at least 10 times faster at doing anything, 20x faster web access.

I do not know if 5.x just sucks, or the 2012 model does not have the horsepower for the bells & whistles, or whatever; I don't really care as I had not found that it did anything I could not do with Kitkat. The whole thing looked to me like the product of a group of prepubescent geeks playing around in a technological sandbox; all bling and no substance.

Last edited:

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
All bling no substance... Very true! I had to downgrade as well and as you have seen, the difference is indeed night and day.

Posted via the Android Central App

cliffyk

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Well my tablet continues to behave as it did when new! It has been a week, which is 14 to 20 times longer than I could get 5.1.1 to be usable after resetting the cache and/or doing a soft reset.

If I were a conspiracy theorist sort I would put forth that Google doesn't give a rat's back-end about 5.x's performance on the 2012 '7s because they want us to throw them in the trash and buy a newer model--which I had actually considered doing.

But, that was then and this is now; I am once again a happy camper!

BTW, has anyone found anything practical that "lollipop" does and "kitkat" does/can not?

And why do we have to have these silly cutesy names instead of plain ol' version numbers?

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Me too, I'm back in love with my Nexus 7. No matter what I done, 5.1.1 was just too laggy and alow and unstable. I used Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh. Made the process seamless. Only think "hard" I had to do was start my tablet in fastboot (power and down key). The toolkit done everything else. Also provides ways to relocation bootloader, backup, reatore, one click root, load custom roms, etc

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

cliffyk

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, as I said it does not have the "horsepower" to run 5.x--thing is Google should know that and not push it out to the 2012 units. Unless of course their deliberate goal was to hobble them and push owners into buying a new tablet.

I did actually consider that but "downgrading" to 4.4.4 has made it again quite usable--literally 10 to 20 times faster loading web pages...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf