Mediaserver is ruining my Nexus experience

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
No that percentage is from this morning when it was fully charged at 100%. Rough estimate is that the device has been in use only about an hour and wifi very little. When I played the games that amounted to less than 10 minutes. Basically been going through various apps and checking the settings. Checked wifi like you suggested and turned off scanning always available, left wifi optimization checked. Turned off Google cards as well, battery down to 78%.

What I want to see is what your battery shows in the morning after leaving it off all night as well as WiFi off starting at a full charge before you go to bed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I did disable Currents and rebooted, battery continues to drain.

You posted that you stopped it again. If disabled it shouldn't need stopped.

Let's start again? Is the device entering deep sleep?
Install CPU spy from the market.
Install wakelock detector from market.
Install betterbatterystats from xda.
Take off the charger.
Open CPU spy
Reset timer
Turn screen off. Wait 5 minutes. Check CPU spy to see if it entered deep sleep. If so what percentage? Unless you are getting hammered with notifications or downloading something or just rebooted I'm thinking sleep should be around 80%

If it isn't you may have a wake lock. Use wake lock detector to see if it identifies it as something more than media server. If no luck there try better battery stats to see if it can drill it down anymore.

Will your screen turn off on its own? I have an app that holds a wake lock and my screen won't shut off until I force close it.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It was fully charged when I unplugged it from the charger at about 2AM, wifi is always off.When I turned it on around 8AM, no wifi still it was at 98%, as of now the battery is still at 78%.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It was fully charged when I unplugged it from the charger at about 2AM, wifi is always off.When I turned it on around 8AM, no wifi still it was at 98%, as of now the battery is still at 78%.

OK that's actually good. Now this time, I want you to start at a full charge, leave it overnight again WiFi and sync off, and when you wake up tell us what the battery is at and also what it says for mediaserver % before you do anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
These are the results from the apps you suggested .

CPU spy initially showed deep sleep at 3.47.51 and 79%, reset the time and waited 5 minutes, it showed deep sleep at 6.36 and 95%

Wakelock Detector shows 1% statistics since 7h 12 m. I have no idea if these figures are acceptable or not.

Battery is at 68% and mediaserver is 16%. Will recharge it and post the results in the am. Thanks everybody for your suggestions

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
95% sleep is good. That should get you great battery life. So you used 32% battery. 16% of that is mediaserver which is like 5% total. That sounds good but I don't know if you used it for 5 minute or 5 hours. How long to drop from 100 to 68? Is this still same charge from 2AM?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
That was the same charge from 2 AM, so I estimate about 16 hours for it to drop from 100 to 68. But actually using the device was probably only about an hour if that.

Just turned it on after fully charging it last night, it's at 99 , not showing mediaserver at all, just tablet idle 93%, screen 6% , android 2%

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That was the same charge from 2 AM, so I estimate about 16 hours for it to drop from 100 to 68. But actually using the device was probably only about an hour if that.

Just turned it on after fully charging it last night, it's at 99 , not showing mediaserver at all, just tablet idle 93%, screen 6% , android 2%

I'd say you're fine then. It looks like you saw a big media server usage but not an unusual overall battery drain and thought something was wrong. Like was stated earlier, battery meter can be confusing. It often shows one or two things using a lot of battery but in actuality when it says something like 50% but your battery is only down 5% all that means is that it only used 50% of 5%. Meaning it only used 2.5% of your battery (an example). I think you're good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non