Best way to share photos

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My wife & I recently bought twin 7's (2013). She has never had a smartphone, and this is her first tablet. We're both extremely pleased with these devices.

She is not at all interested in any social media apps, and does not want to be inundated with friend requests if I install something on her tablet that does that. BTW, it's not that she's unfriendly, she has lots of friends and we have a big family - in her mind right now she doesn't have the time to read that her niece is 'in the Salem DD having coffee' at the moment.

Here is what she wants, however - the ability to see all of our photos with an app. Currently they are all on the old Picasa site, and by default the new Google+ site.

I can see them with Gallery, but she cannot. I don't have to keep them there as I don't use Google+ either if there is a better solution.

What is the easiest way for both of us to see our pics from the same place with an app that doesn't throw the rest of the worlds photos at us every time we open it?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife & I recently bought twin 7's (2013). She has never had a smartphone, and this is her first tablet. We're both extremely pleased with these devices.

She is not at all interested in any social media apps, and does not want to be inundated with friend requests if I install something on her tablet that does that. BTW, it's not that she's unfriendly, she has lots of friends and we have a big family - in her mind right now she doesn't have the time to read that her niece is 'in the Salem DD having coffee' at the moment.

Here is what she wants, however - the ability to see all of our photos with an app. Currently they are all on the old Picasa site, and by default the new Google+ site.

I can see them with Gallery, but she cannot. I don't have to keep them there as I don't use Google+ either if there is a better solution.

What is the easiest way for both of us to see our pics from the same place with an app that doesn't throw the rest of the worlds photos at us every time we open it?

open the photo app

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
open the photo app

Very funny...

You must know that I see all of our photos when I open the photo app because my 7 is tied to my G account, but of course she does not because her 7 is tied to her G account.

I see hundreds of our photos taken through the years by both of us with our digital camera which I have been uploading to neatly set up albums using Picasa. She does not see them when she opens her photo app (but I knew that would be the case, hence my post).

She just wants to be able to see our photos.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Very funny...

You must know that I see all of our photos when I open the photo app because my 7 is tied to my G account, but of course she does not because her 7 is tied to her G account.

I see hundreds of our photos taken through the years by both of us with our digital camera which I have been uploading to neatly set up albums using Picasa. She does not see them when she opens her photo app (but I knew that would be the case, hence my post).

She just wants to be able to see our photos.

You need to have a shared Google account. In Settings scroll to Accounts and add your account from which you can see the photos onto her tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You need to have a shared Google account. In Settings scroll to Accounts and add your account from which you can see the photos onto her tablet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I tried that yesterday all of my Google Contacts and my Google Calendar appointments (which I use for my business) appeared and mixed in with her stuff, not just the photos. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

When I tried that yesterday all of my Google Contacts and my Google Calendar appointments (which I use for my business) appeared and mixed in with her stuff, not just the photos. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

Unfortunately not that I know of. Could you try opening a new shared account and associate it with the photos? Maybe it wouldn't sync all the contacts.

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately not that I know of. Could you try opening a new shared account and associate it with the photos? Maybe it wouldn't sync all the contacts.

Brilliant idea. I'll try that. I just wish there was an app that would do this without all of the social media stuff attached to it. Hopefully our 7's can be 'attached' to this new third account for auto uploads.

Thanks again!

drinks.gif

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant idea. I'll try that. I just wish there was an app that would do this without all of the social media stuff attached to it. Hopefully our 7's can be 'attached' to this new third account for auto uploads.

Thanks again!

http://www.warhawksclan.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/drinks.gif

You're welcome. I hope it works. If you set your devices not to sync with the new account, I think it will work to just share the photos.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You could just put them in a shared fold on Google Drive. An additional benefit is she could do the same if you start to run out of space and share a folder with you under her account. Instead of having 15GB of storage you would have 30GB between you.

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I've done.......

I took mrsmumbles suggestion and created a third account for the two of us to share. When I went to add it to my 7 first, I noticed a screen that popped up during the process that asked me if I wanted to sync stuff on my 7 to this new account. Impatient me must have blown right past this screen when I tried this yesterday, leaving everything checked.

So, I stopped adding the new account, and logged onto my wife's 7. I simply began adding my original G account again (I had removed it yesterday). When I got to the screen listing all of the Google stuff to sync to, I unchecked everything except for Google Photos and Drive.

Now Gallery works perfectly for her - she sees all of our pictures (they're all on my account - she doesn't keep any on hers), and my calendar, contacts etc. are not being synced on her 7. Photos being taken with her 7 are auto uploaded to my account also! (There is a setting for that in Photos.) And with Gallery, there are no social media prompts hitting her in the face all the time!

Everyone is a happy camper here...

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to use a shared folder in Dropbox. If desired you can even have Dropbox upload photos automatically but I don't do it that way.