Nexus 7: auto-brightness reactivated itself! ?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i was using kik, and all of sudden, the screen became bright, i disabled the auto-brightness. when i checked, it was somehow reactivated itself!

how strange.

i know that instagram sometimes does that, that was the only app that i know.

is there something wrong with my system again? or it happens to other people as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: auto-brightness reactivated itself! ?

Has never happened to me. Did you check the apps permissions for anything pertaining to screen control and such?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I believe the Kindle app does this also. Anything dealing with photos and video is also suspect.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

it has happened a few times, but i just noticed specifically today. sometimes, i thought that it was me who was crazy. how can something like that change by itself without me doing anything.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Apps can change settings. The App need to request permission, which I think is WRITE_SETTINGS at install. If you grant that permission to the app it change things just like you.

Also, I believe the autobrightness can get toggled on or off as a side effect of adjusting power settings.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

MX Player is an example of an app that can override your system setting's brightness.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

i was using kik, and all of sudden, the screen became bright, i disabled the auto-brightness. when i checked, it was somehow reactivated itself!

how strange.

i know that instagram sometimes does that, that was the only app that i know.

is there something wrong with my system again? or it happens to other people as well?

funny you mentioned this because i just notice this recently (now that i use my nexus 7 as my navi). but my situation is the opposite. my screen is set to auto and it would turn itself off and go to manual setting. i put it back to auto and couple of hours later it's back to manual.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

it happened again last night right in front of my face. i think that i just pressed the power and tried to see how much batter power i have left, it suddenly changed itself to auto-brightness again.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

it happened again last night right in front of my face. i think that i just pressed the power and tried to see how much batter power i have left, it suddenly changed itself to auto-brightness again.

How do you know it changed to Auto-brightness? The units dim down when there is no activity to save power and pressing a button causes it to go back to normal, but that is not auto brightness. Auto brightness uses the device's ambient light sensor to determine whether the screen illumination should be changed due to changes in the ambient lighting conditions like turning a light off or on or walking from inside to outside.

Last edited:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I think he meant that he pulled down the shade at top right to see batt % and watched the A appear in the middle of the brightness icon Indicating that autobrightness was activated.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

yes. it is happening more frequently now.

i use this "battery doctor", it seems that it also activate the "auto-brightness" function as well.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Sound like the battery doctor is guilty of committing malpractice. Time to ditch it.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

yes. it is happening more frequently now.

i use this "battery doctor", it seems that it also activate the "auto-brightness" function as well.

Assuming Battery Doctor is trying to save power it is reasonable that they would turn on auto-brightness. One mystery solved.