General question on Nexus 7 from Verizon.

Carl S

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Wanting to get my first Android tablet with LTE service, not an Android phone. Already have Kindle Fire Wi-fi only. Bought 2 iPhone 5s yesterday from Verizon store, for my family, with 2-yr sharing plan, can now also get $100 off any tablet and extra 1GB/month data free if I get a line for a tablet at $10/month.
So, thinking of getting Nexus 7 (2013) with 32GB at VZW store for $149, or possibly LG G Pad 8.3, which would be free. Would like to make a midsize (7-8) tablet my only phone, but just have not seen it work. Understand apps can make it a decent user experience to substitute for a phone.
But in reading various Android forums there are some posts making it sound like some tablets can send but can't receive calls or text, and particularly that Verizon disables some of the capabilities of tablets they offer. But with my limited understanding I'm beginning to think these folks are only saying that VZW makes sure the tablet can't be a real phone, and that's why they hack the device, not that VZW disabled anything that would prevent the apps from working right, like Google Voice, Tango, Talkatone, etc. Should I be ok going ahead with this plan, to use these apps without hacking the tablet?
Thanks! Please excuse long post!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You haven't seen a tablet work as a phone because it doesn't. Sure, you can use Wi-Fi/mobile data to make 'calls' using any number of apps (Skype, etc); and you can send messages via specialized messaging apps; but none of this makes it a phone.

Really sounds like you currently have two choices:
- get the biggest phablet that you can find (Samsung Note 3, etc)
- get a cheap phone (even a dumb phone would do) and get a nice tablet

That begs the question - since you've invested in the Apple ecosystem, why don't you get an iPad?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Carl S

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks so much for the reply! And for the Welcome.

A phablet might be an answer, since I really, really just want 1 mobile device, and have never liked the small form factor of smartphones.

I'm not much into talking on the phone unless I have to, and a mobile phone is not a work requirement, so personal use only on occasion.
The iPhones are for my wife and daughter to use. Those are costing me enough now, so it is appealing to me to go with another $10/month for dataonly on a tablet instead of $40.

As for the iPad, it is the cost mostly, and two hands to hold it, then also I prefer the movie viewing experience on a 16:10.

Thought I would try the Nexus 7 for less, or the LG for free. Just really not sure how those apps would work, though many posts I've read people seemed happy with them instead of a phone, and their use cases were like mine. Will probably go back to the store tomorrow and just ask them for a demo of a tablet set up like a phone. Might ask about their phablet choices if a bust.

You were kind to reply to my post.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Messages+ app lets you text message on any Internet connected Android device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Carl S

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for that reply! I didn't know about Verizon Messages, but now I'm finding plenty of info about it. Looks like it will help me with texting, including with iPhones.