5.0.1 OTA

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Had mine waiting in the notification bar for the last several days and have been ignoring it because I didn't want to install it yet and now all of the sudden it is gone . did they pull the update? Anybody know what's up?
The same thing happened with me. It's been there for several days and I was trying to ignore it. Then, suddenly, it disappeared and hasn't been back. I hope it's been pulled. The more I read about people's experiences, even with 5.0.1, the less eager I was to upgrade. I felt much relieved when the icon disappeared from the notification area. Perhaps enough people have still been having problems that Google decided to pull it.

Mihai Raducan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Same for me (5.0.1). I ignored it for a few days because I've red about some nasty bugs, at least for the first release (5.00), and I didn't want to update and have problems.

I think I'm going to wait a little, even if it comes back. My Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi is working great as it is now. I'm not willing to be experienced on.

GoCards

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I got the notice on my N7 that 5.01 had downloaded and was ready to reboot and install. When I tapped the button, it did nothing. Later that afternoon, I rebooted thinking maybe that was needed. I am still on 4.4.4 and when I click system update, it gives me the screen saying "Your system is up to date". Has anyone else seen this? Any idea what I need to do to get it to recognize the upgrade and kick it off again?

Thx.
Tim

MartialText

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I got the notice on my N7 that 5.01 had downloaded and was ready to reboot and install. When I tapped the button, it did nothing. Later that afternoon, I rebooted thinking maybe that was needed. I am still on 4.4.4 and when I click system update, it gives me the screen saying "Your system is up to date". Has anyone else seen this? Any idea what I need to do to get it to recognize the upgrade and kick it off again?

Thx.
Tim

Same thing happened to me yesterday. The odd/funny/annoying/infuriating thing is that I was at my mother's house earlier yesterday, and her 2013 N7 had the update notification. I set it loose, and it downloaded and updated no problem. Her tablet was running perfectly during the short time I played around with it.

I got home hoping my update would be ready, and it was! But, when I clicked update it went back to "your system is up to date." Manually checking gives me the same outcome.

Goog is kinda screwing the pooch on this one. A year-old Nexus device should be high on the company's priority list.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried on my 2013 N7 about 5X, and the OTA continually failed. I finally just downloaded the image, bit the bullet, and installed it manually. I must say, I like what I see so far. Mine was a clean install, and after the first couple of post boot screens, it asked me if I wanted to get all my google setting from another android device. I turned on NFC on my S5, touched the backs together, and voila, it knew who I was and started downloading all my apps from my google backup. (After I entered my password of course.)

Still loading, but so far, I like 5.0.1.

Mihai Raducan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think they pulled it for the moment because of a bug o or something like that. Since OS X Yosemite, I'm cured of installing the latest updates as soon as they are released.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I think they pulled it for the moment because of a bug o or something like that. Since OS X Yosemite, I'm cured of installing the latest updates as soon as they are released.

It definitely does appear to be pulled. Mine is not coming back no matter what I do. Not that I really want it per se, but it's nice to know it's there. Kinda makes me feel special to be a nexus owner. :)

Mihai Raducan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately Google fckd up KK with card restrictions and now L with one of the buggiest release ever. Makes you wonder where is all of this going.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thx.
Tim

You may want to consider yourself lucky you didn't get it installed on your device. After some of the stories I've been reading it just might be a better idea to stay on kit kat, at least for the time being. I know one thing, even if my update does come back I am definitely not going to install it until I'm sure that it is stable and without major problems. Honestly I played with a n9 in best buy and wasn't even impresses by lollipop at all anyway.

PookaLady

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I received the 5.01 update Dec 11th for my Nexus 7 2013. I did have KitKat 4.4.4. Google play store videos won't play. Not even the informational ones for the apps. I also can't stream prime instant videos on Amazon. YouTube seems to work but not with Google play store. This is aggravatting, I thought the 5.01 update was safe.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, for those w/issues after installing the OTA, has anyone tried a factory reset? If so, did that help. With lollipop, it's easier than ever to restore apps/settings if you do a Google back up.

Or just flash the factory image. Root not required, and it's really not difficult.

Anyway, just suggesting. Sometimes stuff happens due to an existing set up, and a fresh start is needed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, pseudoware, for the suggestions. I've never had an Android device before buying my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, and I know relatively little about how to deal with Android problems. For future reference, could you explain the difference between trying a factory reset and flashing the factory image? (Pretend you're talking to a moderately bright six-year-old ;) ) Thanks.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much, pseudoware, for your prompt response. It's apparently not the case that ALL data will be backed up, so I hope I don't have to go this route, but at least I'm glad that it exists.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Tired of Google's BS "Your system is up to date" message so two week ago I sideloaded 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013) it using the Nexus Root Toolkit it was not as bad as I though it would be. It is running great with the Google Now Launcher. I did not mind wiping it as I did it already last month when I had problems with Amazon apps crashing but it was the app.

With the horrible job Google adds the OTA update slow as molasses then keeps pulling it without any notification I could not wait no more. I really miss Apple releasing OTA right away. I know they had problems but what in 2 days there was a immediate patch available.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My only real gripe is the lack of communication. Would it be to much to ask for Google to make an announcement when they have to cancel a rollout? Maybe they could even go the extra mile and tell us why?