Exchange Sync Bug

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a Lollipop issue, rather than a Nexus 9 issue... but I can't see where else to post it.

I took delivery of the Nexus 9 on Wednesday 5th November and over the course of the day brought most of my apps across. I also set up mail for Google and my corporate exchange account. All good, all working fine, calendars / mail / contacts all synched. Setting up the exchange account forced setting a PIN on the lock screen, much as I expected (I also use an N7 on Exchange).

Then, yesterday afternoon (8th November) I noticed that the Nexus was advising that my employer required a security update - which on investigation is that the device storage be encrypted. Of course, it's encrypted by default, but I followed all the prompts anyway, which resulted in a reboot... but no mail and device still no longer synching calendars / mail / contacts. Repeated this a couple of times, but no go.

Examining the most recent mail that has synched, I conclude that something has changed after 7.28pm on Friday, the last mail that has synced. Thinking about it, there seems one possibility - I added a bluetooth speaker on Friday evening to play spotify tracks, and trusted it in the process . Since this has an impact on the operation of the lock screen, I can well imagine that Exchange might have a problem with it, albeit not one that requires encryption... but it is in the same context as it were

So I untrusted the speaker. And then removed all trace of it. Still no go.

Next step... remove the Exchange account and set it up again. And it refuses to synch. I get no notification, but if I go into the Account settings I get the same message about updating security settings, which sends me into the encryption loop again.

It is extremely unlikely that any changes on the Exchange server might be the cause, as this started happening after the working week has finished. In any case, the requirement for encryption when the device is already encrypted suggest that something, somewhere is not working correctly. My money is on the Nexus or Lollipop.

So anyone else seeing this? Anyone got any suggestions? I'm pretty p'd off about it, the device is useless to me without Exchange sync, and I was just beginning to properly fall in love with it!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
interesting.

Have you already added a passcode?
Have you set it up to require the passcode on boot?

Just throwing out ideas here not 100% that it will fix your problem.