Question MMS without DATA ?

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I use Google's MessagesForWeb to send SMSs via my desktop PC with x32Win10ProV22H2 through my 'Samsung Galaxy 32 Pro - SM-J250G' with a Dodo SIM that uses the Optus network, which Dodo says only allows the exchange of SMSs (has NO data). However, there is at least one phone (with Telstra ISP) with which I can exchange pictures (MMS ?). How can that be ?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
SMS messages are text only, they are all very limited in size (kilobytes) and MMS messages are text plus embedded/attached graphics (a photo or video will always add more size so a MMS will typically be measured in megabytes). That's a given and it's always one or other, they are not interchangeable.

So that said, with SMS it only needs very low bandwidth transfer speeds, so just a base cellular signal is all that's required. No matter if you do or don't have WiFi or mobile data enabled, a SMS message can still be sent or received. With MMS however, because it does require more bandwidth to accommodate the larger file size transfer than it needs WiFi or mobile data.
A drawback is both SMS and MMS are very, very dated protocols. They are the only two protocols that most text messaging apps/services still support so they're the last two universally protocols that remain as a common link between all the text messaging services that compete with each other. The problem being they're so dated that they have limitations with today's current technology.
RCS is Google's attempt to compete with Apple's well-established iMessage. RCS is also a closed-source, proprietary text messaging protocol (managed by Google), and Google has spend a lot of resources trying to make RCS the Android default text messaging service, not unlike how Apple's platform is centered on its iMessage protocol. In a very generalized view, RCS is more a MMS replacement than a SMS. It's layered with more overhead so RCS file size transfers use more bandwidth (requiring WiFi or mobile data).

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
B.Diddy - "maybe that allows for sending RCS using Messages for Web" but it happens with just one other phone, and NOT with most others
smvim - thank you for your responses.

Neither seem to address that fact that I CAN exchange pictures with a particular phone (and today I discovered a second one), but not with most others. So I am still looking for an explanation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
RCS Chat features need to be toggled on in the Messages app for a phone to send/receive via RCS, so could it be that those phones that can receive photos have RCS Chat turned on, while the others don't?

Look at the Messages settings on one of the phones that can't receive photos and see if Chat Features are on.

Reactions: Madd62

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
'Look at the Messages settings on one of the phones that can't receive photos' both pragmatic and impractical suggestion. They are not MY phones, so access to settings is near impossible to get - but it's not IMPOSSIBLE.
I have now discovered two more phones that can exchange picture with me, so it is becoming less of a exception.

I am handicapped by using my mobile/cell phones ONLY for texting, so am not au fait with chat settings on phones, and therefore at a disadvantage in asking 3rd parties about their settings.

Still I appreciate the suggestions that have been made and will look for opportunities to investigate further.

I have now Googled 'RCS chat features' and am a little closer to understanding them, but far from confident about them. I also looked for RCS Chat on my phone in the location specified by Google, but could not find it. maybe because my Android is only 7.1.1

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I figured the other phones aren't yours, but perhaps you could ask those people if they wouldn't mind checking their messaging app's settings to see if Chat Features are turned on or off?

RCS requires Android 5.0 or higher, so it should be available, but it may depend on the messaging app you're using. For an old phone like that, you'd probably have to use the Google Messages app, and not the stock Samsung messaging app that came with your Galaxy J2 Pro.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you click the 3-dot menu button in Messages for Web (the one next to the title "Messages") and then click Settings, do you see an option for RCS Chats there? If so, then that would suggest you are in fact sending messages via RCS.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
If you click the 3-dot menu button in Messages for Web (the one next to the title "Messages") and then click Settings, do you see an option for RCS Chats there? If so, then that would suggest you are in fact sending messages via RCS.
No there is NO reference to RCS in Settings.
In any case, would RCS discriminate against some phones ?
Serttings.JPG

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No there is NO reference to RCS in Settings.
In any case, would RCS discriminate against some phones ?
View attachment 358030
That settings menu you're showing is the Chrome settings. I'm talking about the settings associated with Messages for Web. Open Messages for Web, then click the 3-dot menu button next to the title "Messages":
Screenshot 2023-12-04 11.56.06 AM.jpg

Then look for the RCS section there:
Screenshot 2023-12-04 11.56.16 AM.png

RCS might discriminate against some phones if those other phones don't have RCS turned on. RCS has to be activated on both ends in order for things like media to be sent using that protocol. This is why I suggested asking those other people if RCS features are turned on or off on their messaging app.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Your images were very helpful. In 'RCS chats' the ticks are as in your screen shot.

A thread I started today - to which I have had no response, so there is a lack of information - showed something I have never noticed before : "Private RCS chat with....."
In that same place under a message in another thread, I have seen 'Texting with....'

Also today I did not receive a message from a different source - apparently because it was an image.

I'm very confused.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I have discovered that the threads which allow me to send pictures, have 'RCS MESSAGE' typed into the text bar. Other threads (where pictures fail to send) have only "Text Message".

So is the suggestion that those targets to which I want to send pictures, need to enable RCS on their phones ?

Reactions: B. Diddy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have discovered that the threads which allow me to send pictures, have 'RCS MESSAGE' typed into the text bar. Other threads (where pictures fail to send) have only "Text Message".

So is the suggestion that those targets to which I want to send pictures, need to enable RCS on their phones ?
Yes both parties need RCS enabled to work

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174