Is the brightness really bad?

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I would ignore these brightness tests. Wait for the Displaymate review. Several reviewers have said the display is fine in the sun though

A couple of reviews in the review thread seemed to indicate it was dim in the sun. Seems mixed like all of these anecdotal reviews. If it is any less than the s7 I would think this device is not worth the price.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A couple of reviews in the review thread seemed to indicate it was dim in the sun. Seems mixed like all of these anecdotal reviews. If it is any less than the s7 I would think this device is not worth the price.
Well, the model matters as well. The Pixel XL is noticeably brighter than the Pixel. If the reviews you read were for the Pixel and not the Pixel XL then that could be why.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, the model matters as well. The Pixel XL is noticeably brighter than the Pixel. If the reviews you read were for the Pixel and not the Pixel XL then that could be why.

Good point. You may be right. I just cant believe Google would put a high res dim display in this device. The Bove test mist be wrong.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

To be fair the s7 is the brightest phone outside because Samsung ramps it up to eleven. Most displays don't get quite that bright.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a n7 still while the Pixel xl arrives. The n7 is great outdoors.

Yeah I would highly doubt either of the Pixels is going to be brighter than the n7... I believe the s7's and n7's are currently the brightest AMOLED screens on the market. And I'm guessing the Pixel might be using a samsung panel but samsung seems to reserve their very best panels for their own phones.

Octo Man

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Thatis crazy if it is true, I was hoping that the phones would be brighter than my 5X. I came from a LG G4 and that was brighter than my 5X.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
DisplayMate provides the most comprehensive display reviews I have ever seen.

A distant second is AnandTech which is in itself more information than you would likely need.

Wait for one of those two reviews to come out to get an objective review of display accuracy, brightness, saturation accuracy, etc.

James Graham5

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got the Pixel, and the brightness is fine, for real world usage it's good. I've turned the adaptive brightness off as that always knocks it down no matter what

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel brightness is really good, had to turn it down this morning. Will see how it fares in sunlight, but my S6 was amazing...doubt it'll top that.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL and the screen is very bright, I run it around 60%. No issues seeing it outdoors, but every screen looks worse in direct sunlight. Someone on reddit said it's a Note 7 Screen trimmed down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87