Please help with updating my Gnexus

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys I just switched from an iphone 4 to my first Android phone.

This Gnex rocks and it makes my old iphone look like a toy :)

I need your help with updating my phone to the latest version of the software , I am a beginner in this

1/ Should I really unlock the phone to get the updates fast or wait for them from google which seems to take a long time ?

2/ What data will be erased ? I mean my photots and emails , ... , are synced with google so will they be back later ? and what about the apps i have previously purchased ?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
One thing at a time.

You do NOT need to unlock the phone to receive an update fast. Being unlocked will have nothing to do with how quickly you receive it. All you need to do to make sure you have the latest (officially released) updates is go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates. If there is anything available, it will start downloading/prompt for an install right then and there. Otherwise it will say Your system is currently up to date.

Nothing will be erased with the system update. EVERYTHING will be erased when you Unlock the Bootloader.

Brandon

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Google always releases updates in on waves, not everyone gets it at the same time. This ensures their servers don't crawl like apple's servers when iOS updates come out. However it means many are waiting days or weeks for the updates.